Are the busses @ OKW as bad as i am hearing?

i am staying at OKW 12/5 to 11. i have been hearing horror stories about the busses and i am wondering is it time for me to start looking to rent a car for the week, or do the busses run fairly well?

i have 2 small kids, so the thought of getting on a bus for everthing is a little scary for me, espacially in a place a big as OKW…

Hmm, that’s strange. I haven’t heard a lot of complaints about OKW buses at all. They have their own system so it’s not like an annoying sharing system like BW/BC/S&D has. I’ve stayed there twice and always thought their buses were great. The worst I ever experienced was at Boardwalk, but never had a problem at OKW.

To me, sharing a bus between Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk isn’t as bad as the 4 stop loops at OKW, CSR, and CBR or the 5 stop loop at POFQ/POR. Maybe it’s relativity in that the Epcot deluxe resort bus route (which is often split into two seperate lines,Y and BC/S, D, BW)
is actually serving 5 different resorts and feels quicker while the mod/DVC single resort loops feel like they take forever.
There are very few one stop bus lines in WDW. Only Pop and AKL have exclusive service.
Contemporary and Poly share all their buses. WL shares either with FW or GF, depending on the line and some FW buses make two stops in FW as well.
It also has a lot to do with how much “equipment” families are traveling with, group size, and how many ECV/handicapped passengers are boarding/departing on any given bus.

We’ve stayed at OKW (our home resort) many times and NEVER had a problem with the bus system. I’m sure you’ll be fine…especially the time of year you are going.

I have been on buses with so much gear and never had an issue! Use them, you will be thankful! Have fun!

We stayed at OKW and never had a problem with the buses. In fact I’d say the buses were better there than any other resort I’ve stayed at.
I think people get irritated because there are many stops within OKW…but to be honest it would be the same anywhere else. Most of the deluxes share buses with other resorts so basically it’s the same thing.

I would be the only one who disagrees, but if you can rent a car, do so. We found OKW to be a pain as far as the buses were concerned. (I have stayed at POR, POFQ, WL and OKW.) I think it has a lot to do with where your room is located, but honestly, if we stayed there again, I would rent a car.

We stayed at Old Key West last October and had no issues with the bus transportation.

We did only stay one night at OKW and that was a Dec 31.
So all we needed was to get to Epcot and then get back from Epcot once.
I did race from Epcot to MK and back between the two Illuminations, but that was all monorail.
We switched to CBR for one night the next day.

We stayed at OKW in Oct '08 and had no real issues. The resort as a whole is a bit spread out, so depending on what section you are in, it can take you awhile to get to your stop. We were in a building near the Hospitality House, and it took us a day or two to realize that instead of waiting for that stop (the last stop coming back from the parks), we could get off at the first stop and walk less than 5 minutes to our building. On the flip side, it was nice that after the Hospitality House, the buses went to the parks next.

I honestly don’t think that the bus service is any worse than any other resort that is spread out and has multiple stops (we’ve stayed at Carribean Beach and Saratoga Springs by comparison).

We’ve never had a problem with the buses at okw. There are several stops within the resort, but you get that at just about every resort. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for the bus we needed.

No, I don’t think they are as bad as you are hearing. OKW is not a resort that comes up as a bus problem on MB, so I think you are OK.

I stayed there twice and have ZERO complaints about the buses.

[QUOTE=chris24;992637]i am staying at OKW 12/5 to 11. i have been hearing horror stories about the busses and i am wondering is it time for me to start looking to rent a car for the week, or do the busses run fairly well?

i have 2 small kids, so the thought of getting on a bus for everthing is a little scary for me, espacially in a place a big as OKW…[/QUOTE]

ok to piggy back this question…
I am going in March 2010 for a week with my boyfriend and another couple and staying in OKW. I think we are in the HH but I can’t be sure… I know that they tell you to plan an hour ahead of time for anything if you are taking the buses… because OKW is so spread out should i plan for longer like an hour and a half?? The past few times I have gone my family rented a car so we never had this problem, this trip no one is old enough to rent a car. :huh: