Astro Orbitor closing

They are closing the astro orbitor!!! I can’t believe this i love this ride

Dznygrl didn’t you work there??

Here’s the main article.http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/in-the-parks/981-front-page-news-enhanced-its-small-world-reopens-bulldozers-more.html Its about 2/3 way down.

Yea, I read that. This is a very interesting topic as it is one of the original attractions to Disneyland (kind of in a way) and Disneyland will then be the only Magic Kingdom style park without a rocket ride. I have a feeling however that they are taking it out to get rid of all the rock junk from the horrid re-make of tomorrowland back in 1998 and open up the entrance, especially since tomorrowland will be getting a full make-over within the next 4 years, which is to be fully overseen by tony baxter. So this may be the start of something good and they may re-locate the attraction in the near future, or lets hope anyways!

That ride in FL is such an important part of the skyline – is the DL version at the top of an elevator like at WDW?

If I recall correctly, the Astro Orbitor at DL is more like Dumbo with on-ground loading.

They should keep it as scenery at least. Just hope they don’t close CoP!

I have never been on the Astro Orbiter at WDW. For some reason (the height), I am terrified of that ride! I was even afraid on Dumbo, ridiculous! I had no problems with Everest, Space Mountain, or Rock N Roller Coaster though, go figure!

I wonder what they will do with that space? A Tommorowland icon?

That would be neat looking.

I never liked to ride it, but it’s really a part of the skyline that makes you feel like you’re in the World.

I think you are right. It seems that I remember hearing, or reading, that they plan to put it back where it was prior to the '98 revamp of Tomorrowland. I prefer it there!!!

I may be in the minority, but I liked the “Buck Rogers” remake of Tomorrowland. The old Tomorrowland really looked like a “Jetsons” set.

I like that idea. It was cool where it was before.

I am scared of it too… I did it, and it was really spooky to me to be up that high and going around so fast.
Weird, huh?
I would like the DL version much better with on-ground loading!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;932437]
I would like the DL version much better with on-ground loading![/QUOTE]

Me too, definitely!

so news from some insiders from DLR, the Astro Orbitor isnt set to close until the 2011 re-make of tomorrowland (which in that time yes, a version of the people mover will return as well) and the Astro Orbitor is set to return to its original location on top of where the “space junk” is currently located above the people mover platform in the center of tomorrowland. And supposively Tony Baxters new theme for tomorrowland will make it to where the land doesnt have to be updated so many times to keep up with changing times (think of WDWs tomorrowland, theirs is set to a theme that kind of always keeps up with the times because its a theme that is all on its own…or so it seemed to me).

Well thanks for that update!!! If i remember right the people mover was open on my very first disneyland trip in 1995 but i could also be completely wrong lol lol

I didn’t know that there was going to be a makeover of tomorrowland again. I’m excited about that but it seems like for the next about 5 or 6 years half of one of the parks is going to be closed when i visit lol not that i’m complaining because it will be better in the end

I don’t believe they would close it for good! No way! That article has got to be wrong. I got a chance to talk to some of the guys who were doing a walk-through of the People Mover track when I worked at Astro; they were gathering data and preparing ideas for the Tomorrowland revamp. They said the People Mover was a go (shooting for 2011), and Astro would be moved back “up top” to open up the Tomorrowland entrance.

Thank heavens that stupid Observatron and all its obnoxious music would have to go away if they moved Astro back up there…:pinch: That has to be one of the most annoying, unnecessary things in any Disney park…IMHO. :laugh:

Yup - I appreciate you posting this article! I would be devastated if they ever closed Astro! :crying: I also have a special attachment to Astro where it’s at now because my family was in Disneyland the week before TL re-opened after the refurb in 1998. We were the first group of people to get to try out the “new” Astro before the grand re-opening - we were given special passes and everything. :happy: Who knew that less than 10 years later, I would be working there!

[QUOTE=dznygrl;932491]I don’t believe they would close it for good! No way! That article has got to be wrong. I got a chance to talk to some of the guys who were doing a walk-through of the People Mover track when I worked at Astro; they were gathering data and preparing ideas for the Tomorrowland revamp. They said the People Mover was a go (shooting for 2011), and Astro would be moved back “up top” to open up the Tomorrowland entrance.

Thank heavens that stupid Observatron and all its obnoxious music would have to go away if they moved Astro back up there…:pinch: That has to be one of the most annoying, unnecessary things in any Disney park…IMHO. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

haha, if you check back in page 1 you will see I posted info from a CM about the 2011 re-make and the move of the astro orbitor up-top to where it used to be.

I did see that Tim. Just didn’t see it before I posted mine! :happy:

oh ok, haha, I didnt mean to sound rude when I said that if I did, lol. :blush: