August Crowds/weather?

What are the crowds and weather like in late August?

The weather is HOT and very HUMID. The later in the month you go the lower the crowds will be. Once kids start to go back to school the crowds start to drop off.

I can only say one park, Animal Kingdom, is unbearable in August, the others are not too bad because of an abundance of air conditioned attractions. Animal Kingdom does not have a lot of a/c. Even in the shade with fans, it is bad.
August + Animal Kingdom = Never again.

Horrible… and horrible.

haha, just my opinion. We’ve been going in August for like 4 consecutive years and just cannot do it again.

haha, well I guess my being so used to the mild dry weather down at DLR will be the downfall of me when I go to WDW, but its okay…I will have fun no matter what, I plan to go August 22-29 of next year, so hopefully by that time in the month the crowds will have dropped some, (and I know its still over a year away…but hey, its fun to plan ahead and its good to have everything planned out so when I go to buy and book everything I can just do it and not have to think over everything - and it gives me time to save the mulah I will need!)

As Wish said…horrible and horrible. Plan lots of hydration, even at night before you go to bed for the next day. What you do the day before will affect you 24 hrs later. Our August trips have always had a trip back to the resort mid day. We will do EMH in the scheduled park both AM and PM about half of our days. We also plan early evening ADR’s in or close to the park we are going to hit that night. We never do breakfst anywhere since that is grab and go on the WDW bus or in the car on the way to the AM EMH park.
Just drink lots of fluids, were a hat, put the sunscreen on and plan around mother nature.
One more hint- if you get caught in a park during a rain storm many people leave since they are soaked. We find this can be some of the best time to hit the rides.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;956874]As Wish said…horrible and horrible. Plan lots of hydration, even at night before you go to bed for the next day. What you do the day before will affect you 24 hrs later. Our August trips have always had a trip back to the resort mid day. We will do EMH in the scheduled park both AM and PM about half of our days. We also plan early evening ADR’s in or close to the park we are going to hit that night. We never do breakfst anywhere since that is grab and go on the WDW bus or in the car on the way to the AM EMH park.
Just drink lots of fluids, were a hat, put the sunscreen on and plan around mother nature.
One more hint- if you get caught in a park during a rain storm many people leave since they are soaked. We find this can be some of the best time to hit the rides.[/QUOTE]
Are EMH (early morning/magic hours?) something you can purchase extra or is it like at Disneyland where “MM” -Magic Mornings- (as their called at DLR) are something that only be used when you buy certain park hoppers or if you’re staying on resort property? And what does “ADR’s” stand for?

Extra Magic Hours are free for Disney resort guests with any valid ticket. An ADR is a dining reservation.

Oh yay :biggrin:, sounds like I will be taking advantage of those lovely EMH’s! Im one of those crazy guests who arrive at the DLR security Esplanade tents at 6:30am when they dont even open until 7:00-7:30 and that park doesnt open until 8, mind you this is on a morning when Magic Mornings are not in use.

As our kids are older, and can’t really miss school anymore, we have been doing August trips. As said in previous threads, incrediably hot and humid, but you should enjoy yourself anyways. Make sure you stop in many of the shops for a cool down break, taking advantage of the air conditioning. A mid-day break is almost a requirement or you will fade out very quickly. To me, its a great opportunity to enjoy the resort you stay at. We also purchase those cute shrunk wrapped washclothes, and whenever near a cold water fountain, wet it down and place behind the neck. Other than that, make sure you drink plenty of water. All counter service restuarants will provide you with a large cup of ice water for free if you ask for it.

Here in Fresno where I live it can get up to 112 sometimes during the summer, if I am use to that, I should be somewhat okay during August in WDW I would say right? (minus the fact that its also Humid unlike here in CA).