Autism and DL

A friend asked me for information regarding taking a child with autism spectrum disorder to Disneyland. I thought for sure that I remembered something on a website somewhere that had info on this situation in particular, but I can’t find it.

I know they can get the Guest Assistance pass that puts them in the front of the line, but I’m not sure of anything else.

Does anyone know of a website or blog that highlights this situation, or does anyone have personal experience tips that I can pass along?

Thanks so much!

I dont have any specific info for you, but they are choosing a great place to go for a child with autism. I have a friend whos daughter has autism, and it is like a total transformation when they go to WDW. She says that they are great with her daughter, everywhere. Tell her that they will be so helpful, and she will love it!

I KNOW I read about this specific situation somewhere…perhaps it’s in the “unofficial Guide to Disneyworld”. I have it here…I’ll check…

Maybe check allears.net too… They might be a great site.

…all I found was information about the special card given to them to alert the CMs…

I am sure I read more about it…details and tips…somewhere…its strange its not on the website…

A quick Google search (I used “child with autism, Disneyland”) resulted in a lot of informative hits, geared to Disneyland and WDW respectively. There’s a wealth of material available that should point your friend in the right direction.

A good friend of mine specializes in autism-spectrum training for teachers and is, herself, a wealth of material. She may also be able to assist. If you like, send me a PM and I’ll let you know how to contact her.

[QUOTE=b1wife;1113950]A friend asked me for information regarding taking a child with autism spectrum disorder to Disneyland. I thought for sure that I remembered something on a website somewhere that had info on this situation in particular, but I can’t find it.

I know they can get the Guest Assistance pass that puts them in the front of the line, but I’m not sure of anything else.

Does anyone know of a website or blog that highlights this situation, or does anyone have personal experience tips that I can pass along?

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

I have used the GAC at disney world and you have to show it to the CM at the regular entrance of the attraction. They will tell you to go to the FP line or the exit of the attraction. Some of the attractions like the continuous shows, they will just have to enter with everybody else. Most of the CM’s know what it is so they shouldn’t have any problems. Sometimes there can still be a wait at the FP line. Wheelchairs go to the exit if the regular line is not accessible. The GAC is for people with autism, special-needs, etc, but they may find people with broken legs using it as well which is not necessary. Please let us know how their trip goes, I would like to visit disneyland. Thanks!

Nephew is in the same boat, but he really enjoyed his trip to WDW, and his parents enjoyed the kid-friendly atmosphere. The CMs were uniformly helpful and responsive to his needs. The only issue came about when my nephew went to the child care facility at BWV one night. He didn’t like being away from our group, so we got a call to fetch him. A nice walk on the Boardwalk was all he needed that night to be right as rain!

Thank you all! I did a Google search and found lots of blogs and tips, but wasn’t sure if it was all condensed somewhere. I appreciate all the suggestions!