Awesome New Dumbo Queue!

Have you guys seen this video? Kids Will Star in the Show at the Big Top Tent at Dumbo The Flying Elephant - YouTube

This is the smartest thing ever! I wish they had this when I was a kid. One of my memories of being at WDW as a small child is standing in line for Dumbo. My 2-year-old sis couldn’t take it, so Dad took her on the carousel while I waited in line with Mom. Then, when it was time to get on Dumbo, Dad passed her over the fence to Mom. I was so jealous. :glare: :laugh:

However, I am a little disappointed that it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to play on the playground. I wonder if they will have one Dumbo with the playground queue and another with the standing queue, because the Dumbo that they opened first had the regular queue.

There are a lot of people complaining in the comments that this goes agains Walt’s dream of being able to play with his kids, rather than sit on the bench and watch them. I agree to some extent… but at the same time, parents want a break every once in a while (and this will be a nice air-conditioned one), and it’s great to be able to take a break while waiting for an attraction and keeping the kids entertained.

Your thoughts?

I read some of those comments about being against Walt’s dream. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Walt didn’t like going to ride A and sitting, ride B and sitting, and so on and so forth. But to have the kids entertained for a few mins while waiting is great. How come no one is complaining that space mountain isn’t following Walt’s dream? The whole family (meaning from little kids to adults) can’t enjoy that.

I don’t understand how they will handle crowd control. Will CM only let 30 people at a time into the area? Sort of a pen before the pen and then the ride situation. Can adults fit into the climbing things? I could see it’s time to go on the ride but I can’t get little susie out of the net thing or she can’t hear me yelling “it’s time to go” with a hundred other people in the space.

Wow! Does that look like fun!:happy: When I think back to all those hours spent waiting for Dumbo in the hot sun! I can’t believe anyone would complain that it goes “against Walt’s dream”. Most parents will love the opportunity to sit in air-conditioned comfort and watch their kids have the time of their lives.

Makes me want to don lederhosen, get a butch cut, and a giant lollipop so I can blend in with the rest of the kiddies!

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1113924]

There are a lot of people complaining in the comments that this goes agains Walt’s dream of being able to play with his kids, rather than sit on the bench and watch them. [/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, because it was soooooo magical standing in line for 90 minutes with nothing to do but listen to your kids whine about the sun, heat, boredom, and exhaustion. :glare:

We have a Dumbo policy in our family:We do Dumbo first thing before the line builds or we don’t do it at all.

…I was lucky…my daughter rode Dumbo on her first visit and then was done with it…never was interested in riding it again…

The upside to this is it gives the kids something to do while waitng for Dumbo and a chance for parents to catch a break.
The downside will be when it’s time to ride having to listen to those screeching screams of temperment as their little fingers are pryed from the slide or car they’re playing on. Some kids will not want to leave. Also will there be crowd control getting in? If not we know where they’ll all run to during the infamous FL afternoon showers:blink:

All in all, I think it’s a keeper. :happy:

[QUOTE=Cavey;1113933]…

We have a Dumbo policy in our family:We do Dumbo first thing before the line builds or we don’t do it at all.[/QUOTE]

you are a very mean man.

I would much rather have this experience than stand in another line!!!

Riding Dumbo is a right of passage for so many people making their first visit to Walt Disney World. We can now see twice the number of people, satisfy so many guest by providing an air-conditioned play area so you’re not really “waiting in line.” I think this is brilliant, and I’m so glad to see how Dumbo has turned out!

What’s your point there, Tig?

[QUOTE=Cavey;1113933]
We have a Dumbo policy in our family:We do Dumbo first thing before the line builds or we don’t do it at all.[/QUOTE]

I’m the same way with Astro Orbiter. If the line’s short, I go. If the line’s long, no go.

That’s exactly what we did! Our very first trip we rode Dumbo, and it’s such a nice ride, but since then, after seeing those very long lines, I don’t think we ever rode it again.

The queues at the newer attractions (Pooh!) that let the kids move and play are a godsend. At Pooh this year, we saw one kid who just couldn’t leave the queue to get on the ride! He had patient parents who let him just play.

I wonder how close the actually riding time will you be once you are called for dumbo. The pooh play area is still awhile away from actually getting on the ride, isn’t it?

I still remember from the old dumbo set up, trying to jump from umbrella shadow to umbrella shadow instead of standing in the broiling sun. The new setup will be wonderful.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1114095] The pooh play area is still awhile away from actually getting on the ride, isn’t it?
[/QUOTE]

Once you leave the play area, you then make your way through the cordoned area of the line. I have never seen that ride without a wait! No wonder the kid wanted to stay and play – when the little kids get into those tight lines, they can’t see anything except knees and hineys. That’s no fun! LOL

now…don’t all shoot me straight away for I fear what I am about to say is going to cause some fainting and gasps of disgust but…I just do not see the fascination with the Dumbo ride!! Yes…I think it looks beautiful and I would hate the thought of it ever being taken away ( i mean, it’s part of the MK ‘skyline’ isn’t it?). I can also see the fascination for small children as to them it’s a monster of a ride but my non understanding of its ‘greatness’ is for the adults who queue trip after trip because they have to ride it??? what am I missing?? It’s the same with the Magic carpets…what is so special?

PLease don’t hate me now lol xxx

[QUOTE=ARIEL;1114392]now…don’t all shoot me straight away for I fear what I am about to say is going to cause some fainting and gasps of disgust but…I just do not see the fascination with the Dumbo ride!! Yes…I think it looks beautiful and I would hate the thought of it ever being taken away ( i mean, it’s part of the MK ‘skyline’ isn’t it?). I can also see the fascination for small children as to them it’s a monster of a ride but my non understanding of its ‘greatness’ is for the adults who queue trip after trip because they have to ride it??? what am I missing?? It’s the same with the Magic carpets…what is so special?

PLease don’t hate me now lol xxx[/QUOTE]

Can I strongly dislike you? Just kidding.

I really never thought of it, we don’t ride dumbo by ourselves, but we do ride Peter Pan, Pooh, Small world, etc.

[QUOTE=ARIEL;1114392]now…don’t all shoot me straight away for I fear what I am about to say is going to cause some fainting and gasps of disgust but…I just do not see the fascination with the Dumbo ride!! Yes…I think it looks beautiful and I would hate the thought of it ever being taken away ( i mean, it’s part of the MK ‘skyline’ isn’t it?). I can also see the fascination for small children as to them it’s a monster of a ride but my non understanding of its ‘greatness’ is for the adults who queue trip after trip because they have to ride it??? what am I missing?? It’s the same with the Magic carpets…what is so special?

When I was waiting for my DGD to ride on our last visit a couple boarded each holding a sleeping toddler. Why on Earth would they ride with the kiddos sleeping!

…scroll back and you’ll see that even my then toddler was disinterested after one ride…I consider myself lucky that I never had to wait to ride that again…same with the flying carpets…never been on that…perhaps that’s why I always get spit upon as I walk by!! :tongue: So…you are not alone…however obviously we must be in the minority…