Backlot Tour

Ok…am I losing my mind?? I could have sworn Disney shut down the tour for that stunt car show…i just watched a video of it that had to be recorded within the last month…

My friend said they just made it smaller. But i could have sworn they removed the whole thing!

[QUOTE=DisneyFan722;1135931]Ok…am I losing my mind?? I could have sworn Disney shut down the tour for that stunt car show…i just watched a video of it that had to be recorded within the last month…

My friend said they just made it smaller. But i could have sworn they removed the whole thing![/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the show Lights Motors Action? It’s a show you watch…not part of any tour…there are specific show times where you enter and sit on the bleachers to watch.

That whole area is going to be redone but I’m not sure when they are going to start shutting down the backlot tour and this show.

The back lot tour is a lot smaller than it used to be years ago if that is what you are thinking of…

[QUOTE=DisneyFan722;1135931]Ok…am I losing my mind?? I could have sworn Disney shut down the tour for that stunt car show…i just watched a video of it that had to be recorded within the last month…

My friend said they just made it smaller. But i could have sworn they removed the whole thing![/QUOTE]

It’s still there just smaller than it used to be. We just did the tour last month because the rumor is Cars land will replace it at some point.

I swore they just stopped doing the backlot tour. Lol wow. I need to get with it…lol

Well, I can see where you might think that…It really hasn’t been much of a back lot tour for a while in my opinion. I actually haven’t been on that tour in years! I don’t see too many people raving about it anymore! :happy:

Well, its still there- for a little bit. It will go away when the new additions come to HS.

Didn’t like it the first time. Or the second. Or the third. You get my drift. Won’t be sorry when it’s gone.

I think I’ve done the Great Movie Ride more times than the backlot tour.
Correction, I know I’ve done the Great Movie Ride more times. I’ve only done the backlot tour once.
But as someone else observed a while back, the entire focus of Studios has changed from what it was when it first opened, same as Universal has. Gone is the theme of making movies and the fact that there was a working studio here as well.
Well, Disney moved all film making back to California and over at Universal, Nick closed their studios long ago now and Turner certainly doesn’t do WCW, mostly because WCW was bought out by the WWF (I refuse to call it by the other name) and they don’t do studio wrestling shows like WCW did.

We enjoyed the back lot tour when it first opened up—my DMs favorite was seeing the front of the Golden Girls house—DD loved seeing the Herbie—(which caught on fire!!!)

Refresh my memory someone—catastrophy canyon was NOT in place when MGM first opened right? I know it’s been there a long time, but im pretty sure not the whole time. I need to get out my old movies!!! :slight_smile:
And there were two parts to the tour?? One walking through how its made, and then the tram ride.
Then the Animation tour was separate. I remember seeing the drawings of the next movie to come out Hunchback…

Anyway, way back when, we enjoyed that part, but it got old and stale—and they took out so much that it wasn’t worth it. We have not been through any of it in years…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1135950]We enjoyed the back lot tour when it first opened up—my DMs favorite was seeing the front of the Golden Girls house—DD loved seeing the Herbie—(which caught on fire!!!)

Refresh my memory someone—catastrophy canyon was NOT in place when MGM first opened right? I know it’s been there a long time, but im pretty sure not the whole time. I need to get out my old movies!!! :slight_smile:
And there were two parts to the tour?? One walking through how its made, and then the tram ride.
Then the Animation tour was separate. I remember seeing the drawings of the next movie to come out Hunchback…

Anyway, way back when, we enjoyed that part, but it got old and stale—and they took out so much that it wasn’t worth it. We have not been through any of it in years…[/QUOTE]

I think Catastrophe Canyon was there from the beginning. The only thing I liked was the Golden Girls house.

The best part of the BLTour is being a part of it. My guys participated a couple of years ago … and being a bunch of hams (taking after their mother) … it was a hoot!

You are right!! I don’t remember it those first first few visits…I don’t know why but I thought it was not added until later. I do remember that the Streets of America were actually closed to the “public”—pedestrians.

I remember the flooded subway at Universal Studios, and was thinking that Catastrophy Canyon was added later because of that attractions popularity.

Found this interesting bit of history of the Back Lot Tour if anyone is interested…

History of the Backlot Tour :happy:

A two hour attraction? Wow, that’s a huge amount of time and the article said no restroom breaks, yikes.

I did it in 2009, after they removed the golden girls house. Then in 2010 my DH reminded me that it was closed for refurbishment. I think I just thought if was totally done when we went in 2012…lol

That’s what I remember, the tour took a good chunk of time because they showed you all of the special effects and trick shots and then took you out on the tram.
And that would be 1996.

Two hours does seem like a big amount of time—but that’s what it said. At the time MGM opened, I would have been going through this with a 3 year old and two “Sr Citizens”…bathroom breaks would have been an issue but I guess we made it through alright!! Somewhere I have the video to prove it!

…This would have been in 1990 btw—a long time ago to remember details for this old brain… :laugh::laugh:

Yep, the stunt show took a lot of the space that was backlot tour area. That’s also why the Osborne lights got moved - it was originally on the back lot.

No, they didn’t do anything with it - still there and it’s still kinda too long and way too boring for me.

Wait, so does that mean you never did it before they removed the set houses?

The houses were always my favorite part. When I was a kid, my imagination would run wild there.

Rumor has it that they will close the Backlot Tour and Lights Motors Action for future DHS expansion.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1135978]
Rumor has it that they will close the Backlot Tour and Lights Motors Action for future DHS expansion.[/QUOTE]

Well, it’s still supposed to be automotive themed :wink: