Backpacks and rides

Help me out here. Dh swears that you cannot take any type of bag on ANY ride at all in any park in WDW. I’m planning on needing the backpack for small purchases, snacks, extra batteries, etc. Nothing huge, just a smaller backpack. He’s telling me I have to travel lighter and not take a hair brush and etc. Easy for him, his hair isn’t thick and down to his hips!

For the life of me I cannot remember if you can or not. I was very prego and missed 95% of the rides last time. Any other time I had a stroller or someone else’s stroller to use.

Lord help me if I can’t. My hair will be one wild mess by lunchtime. I really will fit in with pirates. :pirate:

Your DH doesn’t know what he is talking about… and you can quote me to him in whatever language you see fit. :laugh:

Seriously, almost anything that has a “falling out” danger comes with a little pouch to put your stuff in.

I didn’t think he knew what he was talking about. :laugh: but He started arguing and I went blank and couldn’t think. My mil has a small backpack she uses when at Disney and I swore she wore it on the rides we saw her go on. But then he said I held it a lot and all I could think was “Heck I was the trip pack mule because I had a stroller, who knows what I carried.”

Thanks Andrea!!

We, well actually DH, carried a backpack on every ride we went on. There are places to store them. Pack away! :happy:

You definitely can take backpacks on the rides. I do it every trip!

I wouldn’t be me without my arsenal of “must haves”. So backpacks better be allowed lol. :laugh:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1030014]Your DH doesn’t know what he is talking about… and you can quote me to him in whatever language you see fit. :laugh:

Seriously, almost anything that has a “falling out” danger comes with a little pouch to put your stuff in.[/QUOTE]

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone on RnRCoaster and seen people with backpacks get on with them. Same for virtually every other ride in WDW.

You should see what I take with us (in a pack) on the rides! We even did Rockin roller coaster with no problem. Just don’t forget to double check the storage pouch on the rides before you disembark. We have found hats, coats, even a camera once! (I’m sure the owners were happy that we turned it in to a CM.)

Haha I take my HUGE purse on EVERY ride in WDW. :]

I carry either a smallish backpack type purse or my messanger type Prada purse. It fits all the tiny essentials I would need like the things you mentioned and fits with me on all attractions with ease. You also can explore the fanny pack…hideous fashion statement,but they work. I like hands-free touring. The prada purse died and I didn’t care for the backpack purse, so I am in search of a WDW bag for august. I’ll let you know if I find anything interesting.

This is a funny thread! :laugh:

I have 3 kids, so a bag is a must. Luckily, they’re all getting older, and Mommy doesn’t have to carry as much now, and they all carry a small bag for their autograph books, etc. We all take our bags on every ride now too, because (thank goodness!) our stroller days are over. If there isn’t a pouch on a ride, I will slip my legs through the straps of my bad and tuck the bag part behind my feet. I’ve taught my kids this trick, and it works really well.

Dana, I used to carry a small backpack purse thing too, but I changed to a small crossbody style purse about 3 or 4 years ago. I like Vera Bradley’s hipster the best because it is roomy and it is washable. I also really like the Tignanello leather bag I bought at TJ Maxx a while back. I recently carried it on a field trip to our state’s capital with my son, and all of the moms were amazed at what I was able to carry in that thing!:laugh:It looks tiny, and it really feels small, but I get LOTS of junk in that thing, so it is GREAT for hands free touring. If you look them up online, the regular retail price is ridiculous, but TJ Maxx has them pretty regularly if you have one near you, and I paid about a third of the prices I see online. Lots of colors to choose from too. Just sayin’ . . . in case you’re interested in that type of bag. :happy:

I’m actually in search of a smaller backpack. I love love love my Swiss Gear one, but I use it as a diaper bag since it’s big enough for that. It’d be too big for me to carry with kids that aren’t in diapers.

I was hoping to find a kiddie sized one, I was seriously considering a Ni Hao Kai Lan one that I could give to my 3 yr old after the trip. It is bright and wild colored so my kids should have no trouble keeping up with that backpack. But alas, it’s definitely made for a toddler and there’s no way I’m strapping it to my 5 yr old w/ a camcorder and camera in it. lol

I’m well endowed chest wise and messenger style never worked well for me. So I have 44 days or so to find the backpack I can use. Dh is still trying to convince me of the fanny pack. But with what I plan on toting it won’t work.

I just downsized to this backpack:
Amazon.com: JanSport Half Pint Mini Backpack: Clothing

This may be smaller than what you’re looking for (scroll down and check the dimensions… on another site it’s listed as a “child/teen” backpack). But it worked great for me! I used to use those drawstring-type bags, but everything just jumbled all together in the bottom of the bag and it hung really heavy on my shoulders. This backpack actually has some structure to it so I can arrange things a lot better, but it’s still small and easy to bring onto a ride with me.

My only complaint is the straps are a little stiff - there’s no padding, it’s just the woven type of strap, like the part you pull through the buckles on a regular backpack. I’m hoping they soften up after a few trips. Other than that it’s great!

Dana, I used to carry a small backpack purse thing too, but I changed to a small crossbody style purse about 3 or 4 years ago. I like Vera Bradley’s hipster the best because it is roomy and it is washable. I also really like the Tignanello leather bag I bought at TJ Maxx a while back. I recently carried it on a field trip to our state’s capital with my son, and all of the moms were amazed at what I was able to carry in that thing!:laugh:It looks tiny, and it really feels small, but I get LOTS of junk in that thing, so it is GREAT for hands free touring. If you look them up online, the regular retail price is ridiculous, but TJ Maxx has them pretty regularly if you have one near you, and I paid about a third of the prices I see online. Lots of colors to choose from too. Just sayin’ . . . in case you’re interested in that type of bag. :happy:

That’s exactly how my Prada one was…before it died…lol I am looking for the same exact thing. I really didn’t care for the backpack type purse. I only used it one trip and everything was to disorganized all shoved in one space. I like pockets and neat. I’ll have to start searching soon. I could kick myself for not buying the WDW one I saw at CSR in January. It was perfect!

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1030055]I just downsized to this backpack:
Amazon.com: JanSport Half Pint Mini Backpack: Clothing

This may be smaller than what you’re looking for (scroll down and check the dimensions… on another site it’s listed as a “child/teen” backpack). But it worked great for me! I used to use those drawstring-type bags, but everything just jumbled all together in the bottom of the bag and it hung really heavy on my shoulders. This backpack actually has some structure to it so I can arrange things a lot better, but it’s still small and easy to bring onto a ride with me.

My only complaint is the straps are a little stiff - there’s no padding, it’s just the woven type of strap, like the part you pull through the buckles on a regular backpack. I’m hoping they soften up after a few trips. Other than that
it’s great![/QUOTE]
That one is similar to a little Adidas backpack my oldest daughter sometimes carries in the parks. We found hers at TJ Maxx (can you tell that I’m a Maxxinista?:laugh::laugh:). It was probably about $10 and we made it cute and girly with a little iron-on butterfly patch on the little front pocket.:happy:

Personally, I need lots of pockets to organize all my stuff, but that is just my type A personality shining through. :blush::laugh: I don’t own one, but I think if I was going to carry a backpack in the parks, I would get the regular size Vera Bradley because there are always lots of interior pockets and usually some good exterior compartments too. Again, I’m just picky about about how my stuff is organized, especially when I want to get to it quickly.

Good luck deciding, 5Demons! There are lots of good bags to choose from. I :heart:bags! DH wishes I would get over them though!:laugh:

I use a string backpack that’s water proof. I put everything in separate zipper bags (1 bag for medicines, 1 bag for sunscreen,1 for pennies & quarters for the souvenir pressed coins, etc.). That way it’s double waterproof and if someone needs something I can pull that bag and give it to them instead of hunting in pockets.

And the best part is that it’s super light and I can put my feet on the straps if there is no pouch for it to keep it secure.

Missymouse,

I am in love with that Vera Bradley hipster. Where can you get those besides online? Does TJ Max have those too? I can’t spend the 50+ dollars that they are charging on the site online, but am wondering if you have any tips on where to get them on sale.

If I ask my DH for this bag at that price after he complied and got me my Nikon D3000 and my new video camera plus the lowepro to carry the camera in, his head will probably explode. He’s been so great with this trip that I don’t want to push it.

Any tips on how to find this bag for less $$ would be appreciated!!!

I wouldn’t be seperated from my backpack, it practically has my life in it! So yes, you can take them on rides.

[QUOTE=jen9804;1030077]Missymouse,

I am in love with that Vera Bradley hipster. Where can you get those besides online? Does TJ Max have those too? I can’t spend the 50+ dollars that they are charging on the site online, but am wondering if you have any tips on where to get them on sale.

If I ask my DH for this bag at that price after he complied and got me my Nikon D3000 and my new video camera plus the lowepro to carry the camera in, his head will probably explode. He’s been so great with this trip that I don’t want to push it.

Any tips on how to find this bag for less $$ would be appreciated!!![/QUOTE]

Jen, I love a bargain almost more than the item I buy itself!:laugh:I have seen a few Veras at TJ’s but not many, so it’s really hit or miss if you’re looking for something specific there. If you’re going to shop at TJ Maxx, you really have to go in with an open mind and have an idea of what you want, but not be too specific. If you look hard enough, I think you can find what fits your needs.

That said, Vera Bradley is having an extra 20% off their sale items, but it ends TODAY!:eek::laugh: Here’s a link to the hipster.Hipster | Vera Bradley Look at the colors at the bottom-they are the ones already on sale, and you’ll get an additional 20% off at checkout. I did notice that a lot of the sale colors are already sold out, but I saw a few that are left that are really cute.I also noticed that the local stores around here are selling the Cupcakes Pink and Cupcakes Green at 40% off.

Good luck! I know that my DH would also be saying do not spend any more money before this trip if we’d just bought at Nikon D3000–I’ve been trying to convince my DH to buy one of those, and he keeps looking at them online, but hasn’t made a purchase . . . yet.:laugh:

Let us all know if you get a new bag and which one you get–I’d love to live vicariously through your purse purchase!:happy:

I bought a small shiny pink and black one from walmart and take it on all the rides at all the WDW Resort parks. I love it.