Backstage Magic Tour - Yea or Nay?

Thinking of doing the Backstage Magic Tour in December. We have never been on a tour and this one sounds really good.

Does anyone have an opinion? I know it is expensive but this trip is adults only and probably the only time we will be able to do this.

We would love to have some input before booking. Thanks!!

These tours are very long and very involved. If you want to go see the curtain pulled back and you’re OK with the expenditure of time and money, do it.

we thought about it but i don’t want to know how it is done… I prefer to believe in MAGIC and pixie dust… even when my dd worked there i did not want to know.

As a CM, I personally DESPISE that these tours are allowed to take place. I believe that if Walt were here he’d never allow such things. It’s my job and duty to help create and protect an illusion of a magical place unlike any other on Earth. Taking a tour that goes into the heart of our operations saddens me and makes me feel all for naught in my duties. Magicians don’t give behind the shows tour of how they do their illusions, why should we, the GREATEST illusionists on the Earth, do so?

If you wish to pay a lot of money to go down into a very smelly tunnel to see how we get to and fro, then by all means go for it.

I apologize if I’m being irrational. It just means so much for me to protect our secrets. When one is on vacation, they shouldn’t wander how. Just accept the entertainment and enjoy their time and the most Magical Place on Earth.

OMG we loved it and learned a lot of awesome things and you see behind Splash Mtn.

We did it. It was a good tour. I didn’t really learn anything new since we’re Disney fanatics anyway. But, it was cool to see behind the scenes of certain attractions and how they worked. IMO, it wasn’t worth the money, but I’m glad we did it once.

I took the Keys tour and loved it. I didn’t really learn anything shockingly new or exciting. I got to see areas that I had heard about for ever. I didn’t find the tunnel smelly… but then again we just went down into one small part.

I personally don’t think Walt would have much of a problem with it and if he did I’m sure that Roy would have pointed out how much money they would make off running such tours and that would all of a sudden make it ok.

In the end it didn’t ruin or change any of the magic for me. I’m still in awe of all things Disney.

I have never taken this tour, but after reading the comments I think I would like to do one day. Have fun if you decide to go.

Same here. We haven’t done any back stage tours but I’m sure we will one day. Some friends did the Key to the Kingdom tour last summer and really enjoyed it. They said it didn’t ruin the magic for them, the parks were still just as magical and special.

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1080696]As a CM, I personally DESPISE that these tours are allowed to take place. I believe that if Walt were here he’d never allow such things. It’s my job and duty to help create and protect an illusion of a magical place unlike any other on Earth. Taking a tour that goes into the heart of our operations saddens me and makes me feel all for naught in my duties. Magicians don’t give behind the shows tour of how they do their illusions, why should we, the GREATEST illusionists on the Earth, do so?

If you wish to pay a lot of money to go down into a very smelly tunnel to see how we get to and fro, then by all means go for it.

I apologize if I’m being irrational. It just means so much for me to protect our secrets. When one is on vacation, they shouldn’t wander how. Just accept the entertainment and enjoy their time and the most Magical Place on Earth.[/QUOTE]

Bravo Matt, I feel the same way. Walt would never think of spoiling the magic, even if just for a few. I’d rather spend the money on an extra day at WDW.

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;1080696]As a CM, I personally DESPISE that these tours are allowed to take place. I believe that if Walt were here he’d never allow such things. It’s my job and duty to help create and protect an illusion of a magical place unlike any other on Earth. Taking a tour that goes into the heart of our operations saddens me and makes me feel all for naught in my duties. Magicians don’t give behind the shows tour of how they do their illusions, why should we, the GREATEST illusionists on the Earth, do so?

I apologize if I’m being irrational. It just means so much for me to protect our secrets. When one is on vacation, they shouldn’t wander how. Just accept the entertainment and enjoy their time and the most Magical Place on Earth.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you’re being irrational; I wish I had talked to you before we took The Keys to the Kingdom. We have never really complained at WDW - but we did after that tour - the problems were too numerous to mention. Rowdy is right - it ruins the magic - plus being mind-numbingly boring and a huge letdown. AND wasting so much precious park time. We loved the Behind the Seeds tour at Living with the Land. It was fun, short and interesting.

Rowdy…I do see your point. Part of loving Disney, is loving the “magic” and not seeing what goes on behind the scenes, but it still peeks my interest in a way. That being said, even though I think I would like to do the tour, I’m not sure I could actually get myself to buy tickets for it and “ruin” the magic in a way.

I would agree with you - if - and this is a big IF - you saw any magic. I don’t know about the Backstage Magic Tour, but on the Keys to the Kingdom you do not see any “magic”. We saw a “float” that had been damaged. That was when we were standing behind Splash Mountain in 90+ weather watching garbage shoot through tubes. The smell was :blow:. The “mystery corridors” are just that corridors - no characters frolicking around; just long hallways, lockers and golf carts beeping at you constantly. I can see the zipline that Tinkerbell comes down from any place in the park. To stand for a 1/2 hour in a parking lot looking at it - not so much fun.

My husband and I are going with my Aunt & Uncle. My Uncle just turned 70 and really wants to take the tour. So at age 70 I feel he can do what he wants. But I promise it will not ruin the magic for me. No way No how - Disney lover till the end.

I will let everyone know how it goes - we just signed up for the Dec 6th tour.

[QUOTE=DonnyD;1080765]My husband and I are going with my Aunt & Uncle. My Uncle just turned 70 and really wants to take the tour. So at age 70 I feel he can do what he wants. But I promise it will not ruin the magic for me. No way No how - Disney lover till the end.

I will let everyone know how it goes - we just signed up for the Dec 6th tour.[/QUOTE]

I’m like you. There’s nothing that could ruin the magic for me! I when I went on the tour I never saw any garbage. I think Matthew mentioned what happens to it but that was it. I was never in any stinky areas. If anything taking the tour brought the magic more out and more real to me. Now when I go I will be watching and listening to more hidden gems that have been put into everything. And after hearing the history (a bit of which I had no clue about) I enjoy and respect what has gone into making WDW and the people who work there that much more.

We took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour last Holiday season. LOVED IT!!!
And I thought I knew a lot!! It was total fun.
I’d do it again.
Frank