Bad Dining Experience

Has anyone ever had a bad dining experience anywhere in WDW? Bad food? Bad service? Bad waiter? If so, please share.

We had one at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. The food was good BUT… The restaurant was LOUD & NOISY! Too much so for us. There was CLANGING, BANGING & SHOUTING. Plus, the waiter kept trying to take away DH food before he finished. It was like he was rushing us. DH finally snapped at the waiter which is very unlike him. We both ended up with a headache. :pinch:

For me it was The Plaza Restaurant in MK. I didn’t actually eat there but I was trying to get a cup of chicken noodle soup to go for my daughter who had been sick with a stomach virus and was finally hungry. The person at the podium was rude and unwilling to help :mad:. I finally spoke with a CM that happened to be walking by and he walked right in and out and handed me what I needed with a smile :happy:.

WC always gives me a headache. :rolleyes: It’s just the way it is. I don’t think I’d go back unless I had little kids who really wanted the experience. Then I’d pop some Motrin and brace myself.

We did not like Coral Reef. Won’t go back there either.

We had a terrible waiter at Brown Derby, the one and only time I ever went. There was one person who hated her dinner and tried to find the waiter to tell him, but he was AWOL…again. Then the replacement dish wasn’t very good either but she decided to just let it go by then.
We had so many issues with the guy that we ended up missing the Osbourne Lights, which was our only reason for going to MGM that night. So the two members of our party that had used up a park day JUST for that bad dining experience went to Guest Relations and complained.

In true Disney fashion, they each got another park ticket. :happy:

But I have to say, outside of that BD meal, we have never had a BAD dining experience. Some were certainly just so-so, but most have been wonderful.

For us it was Coral Reef. Just plain bad all the way around. We will probably never go back.

:angry:We waited way too long, especially with an ADR to be seated

:pinch:5 adults were squished in a booth, when there were other tables available to accommodate us more comfortably.

:frown:The diver never showed up

:nonono2:The personalized menu was never made and then after management offered/promised to make it and deliver it to our room, they never did!:mad:

:blow:The food was tasteless and very disappointing.

:glare:Our server was slow and really had no personality

This was not only disappointing, but very sad:crying: because I really wanted this to be a special surprise to the boys. Plus it was hard to keep a secret that long, just to be forgotten.:sad:

We had 2 bad experiences last year. One was at Cosmic Ray’s. I don’t like feeling like cattle and there one definitely does. Besides, the food was really bad.

Then again at AK, the boys were hungry for something, so we stopped at this take out place on a corner somewhere to get them quick burgers. The were inedible. We threw that meal out and went for a decent quick meal at Yak&Yeti, a little later on.

We’ve had a really awful waiter at the Clam Bake :dry:

In all my years we’ve only had 2 REALLY bad dining experiences; 1 at O’hana and the other one was at Napa Rose in Disneyland.

At O’hana we were eating dinner before the first ever P&PP, we were seated pretty fast but when our waiter came to the table he didn’t make eye contact with us, took our drink order & we LITERALLY didn’t see him until check time. Another guy brought our dishes, NEVER asked if we wanted drink refills or extra portions of food (& we both LOVE the sticky wings), the original waiter appeared about 10 minutes later WITH OUR CHECK!! Never asked if we wanted more of anything!!! Then, the REAL terrible kicker was about 40 minutes after we arrived at the P&PP Daniel felt violently ill. He was feeling TERRIBLE and we has a miserible time. :sad:

This past June we were supposed to be enjoying an anniversary dinner at Napa Rose in Disneyland. We ordered this seasonal pizetta with a melted gruyère cheese on it. After eating a small portion I told Daniel that something tasted funny to me. He chalked it up to not being too familiar with that particular cheese and with 20 minutes I was in the gorgeous marble restrooms throwing up. :pinch: I pulled myself together because I didn’t want to ruin an anniversary dinner. Well, when my steak showed up it was SOOOO heavily seasoned in ground peppercorns I LITERALLY couldn’t even taste the beef. It was INSANE. I swore that they dropped my steak in a vat of ground peppercorns & just threw it on a plate. I even had to visit the marble throne once again before we left… TWICE, in one sitting!!! :pinch:

Otherwise, they’ve all been pretty great experiences.

Ommmm, now that Wish is talking about an anniversary dinner, we had one at California Grill and it was terrible. From the way some people dressed with cut-offs and wife beater shirts to the terrible waiter to the too salty food. The whole evening was sort of -not good-.

but all in all, we are not complaining. Things can go wrong any day any where. When you only go to Disney once in your life, you hope that all goes well, but if you are lucky enough to enjoy it more than once, it’s to be expected that not every experience can be stellar, right?

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;880907]For us it was Coral Reef. Just plain bad all the way around. We will probably never go back.

:pinch:5 adults were squished in a booth, when there were other tables available to accommodate us more comfortably.

:nonono2:The personalized menu was never made and then after management offered/promised to make it and deliver it to our room, they never did!:mad:

This was not only disappointing, but very sad:crying: because I really wanted this to be a special surprise to the boys. Plus it was hard to keep a secret that long, just to be forgotten.:sad:[/QUOTE]

I have only had bad service at BOMA and JIKO. Reading some of these bad experience’s leaves me concerned about Tipping 15 - 20% of the bill !? paying for bad service:mad::mad: in the UK you only tip for good service

OH no! Bad service at Boma & Jiko!?!!? That stinks, I’ve always had wonderful dining experiences there. Also, we go to Coral Reef on almost every trip & LOVE LOVE LOVE it! We’ve always had great food & service there.

I know the tip thing is weird, I have two really good friends from Germany, one was actually a server at the Biergarten for a couple years. He could never understand why Americans always feel so compelled to leave the ‘right amount’ of tip even when terrible service is given. I am guilty of that too and I am not sure why we do it, even if we didn’t have stellar service at a restaurant DH & I we always leave at least 18%. I am not sure how server salaries work in Europe but I think over here it has something to do with a small guilty feeling because you KNOW that server survives on tips only. Personally, I almost feel like I am ‘stealing’ if I walk away without paying proper tip. Crazy, I know, but in my opinion over here “tipping” is more of an obligation than a reward for good service.

[QUOTE=Dopey;880916]Ommmm, now that Wish is talking about an anniversary dinner, we had one at California Grill and it was terrible. From the way some people dressed with cut-offs and wife beater shirts to the terrible waiter to the too salty food. The whole evening was sort of -not good-.
[/QUOTE]

CA Grill was our less-than-stellar experience, too. I won’t go so far as to call it bad- I’m just not in a hurry to go back.

The food was just okay, and for the price it should have been wonderful. In addition, I didn’t like our server at all. She was slow, and she was actually condescending.

As much as we love the show in Germany and the BEER---- the food on that buffet just rubs me the wrong way. It’s always messy when I am there---- I mean, it’s hard ot keep sauerkraut looking nice (and it does taste good) but for some reason it just doesn’t strike me as GOOD. And I can’t get the kids to eat there- at all… sad, huh!

Germany has a show? Or am I reading this wrong?

you know the Biergarten where they dance and do the music…
I forget what it’s called---- with the buffet there… OMG It’s slipping my mind – the name oohhhhhhh i have to go look it up!
brb

this one:
Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

Plaza resturant: Mean Waitress:mad:
Boma: Discusting:blow:
Trails end: Very greasey and not much of a choice:nuke:
Corel reef: Over priced:pirate:

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;880907]For us it was Coral Reef. Just plain bad all the way around. We will probably never go back.

This was not only disappointing, but very sad:crying: because I really wanted this to be a special surprise to the boys. Plus it was hard to keep a secret that long, just to be forgotten.:sad:[/QUOTE]

Ditto

We’ll never return to Coral Reef. My dinner was bad and the service was even worse. The main reason I had booked the meal was the diver (and confirmed a week before) and that didn’t happen. Our meal was over $100 for the 3 of us (my son only had fries) and totally not worth it.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;880921]OH no! Bad service at Boma & Jiko!?!!? That stinks, I’ve always had wonderful dining experiences there. Also, we go to Coral Reef on almost every trip & LOVE LOVE LOVE it! We’ve always had great food & service there.

I know the tip thing is weird, I have two really good friends from Germany, one was actually a server at the Biergarten for a couple years. He could never understand why Americans always feel so compelled to leave the ‘right amount’ of tip even when terrible service is given. I am guilty of that too and I am not sure why we do it, even if we didn’t have stellar service at a restaurant DH & I we always leave at least 18%. I am not sure how server salaries work in Europe but I think over here it has something to do with a small guilty feeling because you KNOW that server survives on tips only. Personally, I almost feel like I am ‘stealing’ if I walk away without paying proper tip. Crazy, I know, but in my opinion over here “tipping” is more of an obligation than a reward for good service.[/QUOTE]

We also love Coral Reef it’s always on our list of must do’s.

I take on what you say about “server survives on tips” but they should get used to bad service = zero tip’s. however there is the times when the food is bad but the service is very good and they are apologetic about the food.
I would leave cash for the server but feel I’m just giving money to the company if I pay the tip on the card:eek:

We’ve had a few bad experiences at WDW. The first was at Coral Reef! We had ADR’s and still waited over 45 minutes for our table. The food was nothing to write home about and our waiter was not too helpful.

We didn’t enjoy Hollywood & Vine in DHS either. The food there was absolutely awful!! My DH who will eat just about anything and not complain had major complaints here. Our waitress was rude and rushed us.

Other than those 2 experiences, we’ve been pretty lucky.

The tip thing is weird I think. I traveled with a friend from Canada this summer and found that their tip ideas are very different from ours also. I think tips should be based on service…

We had a horrible server at Flying Fish. What made it even more incredible is that at the time both DH and I were CM - at Spoodles which is right next door so we knew the server…and DH had been this guy’s boss for 3 years!

The biggie was when the server called my mom - the old lady. Now my mom is older than the server for sure, but at 47 she was hardly “old”. I went straight to the manager on duty and told them what happened (the bad service and the “old” thing) , even as CM they gave us a gift certificate for $100 to spend at any restaurant on property…which we ended up using at FF :wink: