Bags and magnets and resorts cards...oh my!

So this year, I’m taking my mom to WDW for her 60th (belated since she couldn’t go last year). She plans on taking a bag into the parks so out the window went the ‘hands free’ plan. I found the perfect (for me, anyway) bag…or at least what I thought would be perfect when I ordered it. It’s the Baggallini “urban backpack.” There’s lots of good things about this bag.

My problem now? If you look at the photo (and yes, this is the exact color scheme I got!) …the little flap at the top of the bag turns out to have a magnet in it. So when the bag is all zipped and closed, the flap comes over as added protection (?) to keep the closed…I’m assuming this btw.

Okay so now my bag has a magnet in it and I vaguely recall someone saying that bags with magnets are a no, no for resort cards. I also got the Baggallini id keeper to hold CCs and resort id. The plan was to put the cards in the id keeper, then put the id keeper in the zippered pocket that is on the side that would face your back (you can’t see it in the photo)

With all of that said, what are the worries of plan resulting in demagnetized resort and ccs?

So funny, I saw this same type of thread on another DISney site! :laugh:

I would get those little paper ticket protector envelopes when you check into your resort for added protection.

Yeah, that is a concern for sure… bummer. I would try to get rid of the magnet… otherwise your never gonna use it.

As long as you aren’t keeping your key to the world card right next to the magnet, you should be okay. If it’s in an ID holder like the one shown, it should be fine. If you keys do happen to demagnetize, you can now get them replaced at Guest Relations at any of the theme parks without having to go back to your resort. Just FYI.

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;850179]So funny, I saw this same type of thread on another DISney site! :laugh:

I would get those little paper ticket protector envelopes when you check into your resort for added protection.[/QUOTE]

Really? Actually, I’m not surprised. This really would make a great park bag except for those stupid magnets…and honestly that little flap isn’t really necessary.

The paper ticket envelopes…are those like the sleeves they give you when you first get your atm card? I have some of those laying around…although I’m notoriously bad at keeping the atm card in it…so I dunno

I figured I could get the key to the world card fixed w/o problem…but what about cc’s, my Disney rewards card, or a Visa check card? Are the key to the world cards more sensitive than your regular run of the mill cc?

Baggallini…why, oh why, did you ever think magnets were a good idea for a travel bag! :eek:

The KTTW cards are definitely more sensitive than regular CCs and such. I have actually never heard of a guest who had a demagnetized cc. I know I have kept mine next to electronics and magnets and such and it’s still good. But that kind of stuff will kill a KTTW card.

[QUOTE=zefyr;850208]Really? Actually, I’m not surprised. This really would make a great park bag except for those stupid magnets…and honestly that little flap isn’t really necessary.

The paper ticket envelopes…are those like the sleeves they give you when you first get your atm card? I have some of those laying around…although I’m notoriously bad at keeping the atm card in it…so I dunno[/QUOTE]

Kinda like thee sleeves for ATM cards, but thicker. They are like little mini folders. And have WDW designs on them! We ALWAYS keep our tickets in them for added protection. You can ask for that ticket sleeve at any registration desk or ticket window.

[QUOTE=zefyr;850208]Really? Actually, I’m not surprised. This really would make a great park bag except for those stupid magnets…and honestly that little flap isn’t really necessary.

The paper ticket envelopes…are those like the sleeves they give you when you first get your atm card? I have some of those laying around…although I’m notoriously bad at keeping the atm card in it…so I dunno[/QUOTE]

At check in, they give you a little sleeve for your tickets! If they don’t, just ask, if you keep your tickets in here you will be FINE! I have a smaller bag, and they always warn me about the cell phone, but will the sleeve, I’ve never had a problem.

I don’t think the magnet on that little bag would be STRONG enough to do all that to your CCs/ATM Card!

BTW . . . cute bag! :happy:

I so look forward to the day when I have to carry NOTHING except for my room key!! I am so sick of carrying bags especially after many trips with giant diaper bags!! My son will soon be fully potty trained and I can’t wait to go bag free!! Hopefully in time for my trip Labor Day Weekend!!

Where did you order these from? They are very cute and I would like to order them for myself.

When I went with my softball team a few years ago one of the girls on my team messed up her card by letting it rub on her cell phone in her bag. The cards are sensitive but i think as long as you don’t rub the card directly onto the magnet it should be fine

Use the bag…keep your park passes in a wallet. Can’t demag them unless it touches them.

I keep my card in my pocked with my phone every single trip all day and have never had an issue with it.

I got them, along with a tote, at ebags.com. It’s the 2nd time I’ve bought from them and they’re great. The tote I got is big but it folds up onto itself. I"m going to use it as a carry on when I come how with souvenirs. When folded up it’s about the same size as your standard wristlet. All of the baggallini’s I’ve purchased are in the ‘rip stop’ fabric. The sling I got last year, I used when I taught camp and it was great.

I really thought I’d get away bag free…I tried to tell mom the merits of that…didn’t work. I haven’t seen her bag yet but the way she describes it she probably could rival Mary Poppins’ carpet bag in terms of size and storage capacity.