Base Tickets vs Hoppers

So when I was pricing out park tickets thru undercovertourist I found that for the same price as a 4 day base ticket I could get 7 day base tickets. We are only going for 5 nights, but on some days we may want to park hop. Adding the hopper option is $50/per day.

So…doesn’t it make sense for me to get the 7 day base ticket and just use 2 tickets in 1 day instead of adding the hopper option?

Are you allowed to do this?

Also, if we go to MK during the day and leave and then want to go back to MK that night, does that all count as 1 day ticket?

I am new to this since I always get the hoppers.

This is a sore subject for me, as I swear we did use extra “day” tickets to go to more than one park in a day, but I have been told over and over on MB that this is not allowed. So, I will tell you, it is not allowed. Seems like it should be, you buy an extra day, not trying to rip them off or anything, but the consensus seems to be that it is not allowed. :confused:

(there was a similar thread last summer and we all went round and round!!) But I do believe the majority is correct, it is not allowed.:crying:

Sorry…:crying:

That is too bad - it seems like you should be able to use multiple days for different parks on the same day. :blink:

According to numerous CMs that I’ve spoken with on the phone, you can only use one park admission on one day, so you can only go to one park on any given day with an MYW base ticket. I’ve been told that the turnstile will lock you out if you’ve been to a different park that day.
Also, according to the official WDW site, this is Disney’s policy.
I have no personal knowledge because I’ve always had hoppers or an annual pass.
You can however, enter and re-enter your park of the day as many times as you wish.

I don’t think its $50 per day I think its a one time fee of $50 per ticket.

I’m trying to get into All Ears so I can see their charts and as soon as I get an answer, I’ll update, but I believe it is a one shot $50 fee to upgrade to hoppers.

Edit: Yes, looking at the WDW site, it is a $50 fee to upgrade to hoppers, so if you buy a 5 day ticket, it would equal $10 a day; for a 3 day ticket it would equal $16.67 a day.

And of course, with a hopper, you could, in theory, be in all 4 parks on any one day. In practice, it can be done, but there’d be a lot of time on buses and trains, and yes, I have done all 4 in one day. More reasonable would be 3 in one day. Say, opening studios, doing the afternoon in Epcot, and closing MK.
(In fact I have on two occasions seen Fantasmic, Illuminations, and Wishes all on the same night)

Thanks for the info, I really had no idea! No matter how much of a Disney expert you think you are, there’s always something new to learn! :blush:

You’re right, I made an error with the $50/day it is $50/person. Still adds up to $150 after already spending $650 on the base tix. I’ll just have to readjust my spreadsheet :blush: and plan on 1 park per day!

thanks again!

[QUOTE=ssn;961746]Thanks for the info, I really had no idea! No matter how much of a Disney expert you think you are, there’s always something new to learn! :blush:

You’re right, I made an error with the $50/day it is $50/person. Still adds up to $150 after already spending $650 on the base tix. I’ll just have to readjust my spreadsheet :blush: and plan on 1 park per day!

thanks again![/QUOTE]
I’ve always bought a park hopper but this past christmas I bought a base and loved it so that’s what we got for our Sept trip. I never hop anyways so why not save the money.

I can tell you from experience that once you enter a park you cannot visit another park unless you have the park hopper option. In May 2005 my boss bought my family 6 day tickets without the park hop option. I visited MK then after a while we hopped over to MGM (at the time it was called that) and we were stopped at the turnstile. We went to Guest Relations to find out what the problem was and she told me the exact park I entered and the time I entered.

If you have a multi-day pass, you can only use one “day” per day. However, you could buy a bunch of single day passes and use two single days in a day. Or you could buy a few single days and use them to “hop.” But by the time you do that, it would probably be more cost efficient to just purchase the hopper.

We’ve debated this many times in our home. We’ve decided when we take short trips, basic tickets are best. When we take longer trips, we like to do hoppers. Our thinking is, on a short trip we’re going to go really hard in one park and squeeze the most out of each day. We like hoppers for longer trips because by the end of our trip we are ready to “hop” around to our favorite things. I think it’s up to you and how you plan your trips.

I can honestly say that the only reason to have the park hopper is if you have a dining plan. That way, you are not held to a single park for eating. We use the HECK out of the dining plan so the park hopper is fantastic for that. Otherwise, the only other time we use it is for our Animal Kingdom day, where we only stay in that park for 6 or 7 hours.

That is very true. I know we have been a little limited on our choices of restaurants when we haven’t done hoppers.

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;961713]This is a sore subject for me, as I swear we did use extra “day” tickets to go to more than one park in a day, but I have been told over and over on MB that this is not allowed. So, I will tell you, it is not allowed. Seems like it should be, you buy an extra day, not trying to rip them off or anything, but the consensus seems to be that it is not allowed. :confused:

(there was a similar thread last summer and we all went round and round!!) But I do believe the majority is correct, it is not allowed.:crying:

Sorry…:crying:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that point. I don’t understand what the deal is, it is not like you’re stealing a day, you’re buying it. Oh well, that to me is one stupid rule