Basic cable at resorts

I know it’s disney and all but it really blows my mind that they don’t have the nickelodeon channel. I am pretty sure nickelodeon comes with basic cable, so disney doesn’t have basic cable? Wow, we will probably never stay at a disney resort…

Swan/Dolphin and Shades of Green have nickelodeon but are booked the week I want to go so we are staying at Windham Bonnet Creek in a 2-bdrm villa for $120/night.

welcome honestly have never thought about it there are so many perks that come with staying at Disney emh, free transportation, … even when my kids where small we didn’t watch TV… with the pools, parks restaurants, arcades and just hanging out at DDD. TV was not a priority. by the time we got back to the room we were ready for bed lol…

We were really disappointed with Disney resort tv last time we visited. Most of the channels we liked had been taken off, and it was either news or weather channels, or Disney promo channels.
I appreciate most people aren’t too fussed about tv on vacation, but for us as ‘foreigners’ we loved Amercian tv especially some of the more cheesy channels like the Lifetime Movie network- Great for a night in with pizza after a heavy day at the park!
So, yes, I think Disney has lost some Brownie points with us with the range of channels available- very disappointing.

Normally I wouldn’t make a big deal about it but there is a brand new episode coming on the 11th at 8pm, I party with Victorious, the iCarly crew will be joining the Victorious crew. I just don’t see what the big deal is, it’s just a channel! We don’t usually take advantage of EMH anyway.

[QUOTE=dixie;1078175]We were really disappointed with Disney resort tv last time we visited. Most of the channels we liked had been taken off, and it was either news or weather channels, or Disney promo channels.
I appreciate most people aren’t too fussed about tv on vacation, but for us as ‘foreigners’ we loved Amercian tv especially some of the more cheesy channels like the Lifetime Movie network- Great for a night in with pizza after a heavy day at the park!
So, yes, I think Disney has lost some Brownie points with us with the range of channels available- very disappointing.[/QUOTE]

now I did not think of that. im bad and have to apologize… I guess I take for granted what we have… I am very sorry… honestly I use the week away to get my DH away from the TV… he is a bit of an addict when we are home. :redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

I don’t think Disney would every have the Nickelodeon channel. That’s the competition. T-shirts. etc. was all over Universal when we went there years ago.

Nick = Universal. It’s all marketing.

BTW, enjoy Wyndham BC. We have stayed there 3 times. Ask (read as DEMAND) for a room overlooking the lake around to the right of the main building as you enter the resort. The lower level rooms in the buildings to the left are blocked by the new pool roof and canopy supports. Also insist on the first 3 floors. Being up higher is crazy when you have to get to the pool. And the closer to the main building you are is easier to get to the bus stop if you use their transportation.

[QUOTE=fanofdisney;1078170]I know it’s disney and all but it really blows my mind that they don’t have the nickelodeon channel. I am pretty sure nickelodeon comes with basic cable, so disney doesn’t have basic cable? Wow, we will probably never stay at a disney resort…

Swan/Dolphin and Shades of Green have nickelodeon but are booked the week I want to go so we are staying at Windham Bonnet Creek in a 2-bdrm villa for $120/night.[/QUOTE]

Your problem is you are comparing basic cable and basic hotel cable to “Disney Cable” where they offer every ESPN known to man, but not Fox News Channel. “Disney Cable” even has the ABC News Now cable channel that no system I know of ever carries!
They offer every Disney channel, but Heaven forbid you should get Comedy Central and Cartoon Network (especially Adult Swim). But you expect Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, Nick At Night, and TV Land?
And it’s going to take an act of Congress to force Disney to provide HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime.
They don’t even offer any of the A&E networks, and Disney has a large minority stake in A&E Networks.

If you’re a Disney hotel guest, all your TV viewing needs are covered by Disney/ABC/ESPN offerings and if they don’t offer it, you don’t need it.
Disney no more wants you watching the WWE on USA and SyFy than they want you getting in your car and going to Universal Orlando.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1078189]Nick = Universal. It’s all marketing.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, Nick is MTV Networks and that’s either CBS or Viacom (I don’t know how they spun everything out when they spun CBS back off on its own).
I don’t think they even have studios over at Universal any more, and haven’t for many years now.

We’re bad about taking things for granted too. I personally do not watch tv and don’t even plan to be in the hotel after dinner but that particular night we will be because it is a water park day. I only care because it is a brand new episode. I don’t consider paying for parking a fee like I don’t consider tipping mousekeeping or paying for the internet a fee. I don’t budget those into costs and figure we come out even there. Thanks for the tips on WBC. I understand competition, but it’s just a channel, I’m not asking for Nick rooms.

I understand a new dcan be important to kids, but family time is more so. have someone record it for you while you are away and watch as a family when you get home. The pros far out weigh the cons when deciding if staying on site is a good idea. Disney puts what they want you to see …which is their shows. Dd and i watch a little TV here and there while at WDW, but only when on a break from the parks or at the end of the night to wind down…it’s really not that big of a deal. Again, i can understand how important it is to kids, but here’s a great time for you to show them how unimportant a TV episode is. Take them to Downtown Disney and Disney Quest…they will forget about that show in three magical minutes.:laugh:

Noooo dont apologise! :heart: Its all in good fun truly-I would be the same if we were on holiday here in England and my two wanted to watch tv- they could do that at home- so I completely understand it from an American point of view.
Now if they had the HBO channel, I’d never leave the room- I just love HBO and most of what it has to offer!

If you can Dvr it. But knowing the icarly and victorious schedule it will be reshown about 40 times the following weeks.

Amen to that…they do play the heck out of that show. I am guilty of watching it from time to time. It’s a cute show. I-carly is on demand for Comcast/infinity…just a thought.

I completely agree about recording it and the fact it will probably be on every night for the rest of the summer, but my daughter was just diagnosed with aspergers on May 17th and it’s nice to finally understand why she is so temperamental, she is worse than my son with autism! If she don’t get to watch it on June 11th, the world will end. I just feel that if I can make something happen so my kids will be happy, why not? Usually we are back in the room by dinner every night but I wanted to change that this time. I was hoping anyway, she is so routine, it’s terrible.

Just a little background info…we were in Hawaii when she was K-2, moving here I knew she was behind grade level because the teachers did her work for her. She was not a distraction so they let her sit and class all day and do whatever. I was so stressed out about EOG’s this year that I enrolled her in Sylvan. She is still 2 years behind grade level. She did not even improve by a grade level like Sylvan guarantees. Thank God her school don’t feel that retaining her will catch her up in a year. Mentally, she is not 9 years old. If you know even a little bit about aspergers, you would understand. Please don’t think she’s a brat, and understand why I feel the need to go overboard :slight_smile:

Here’s an idea that might or might not work.
Check to see if Nick will be streaming the episode the next day, and if they are, you can always go the laptop/internet route the next day.
It still won’t be the freshest way to watch, but perhaps you can get your child to accept that this is going to be the only way and there’s nothing that can be done to change that fact.

I thought about that but when it’s on the internet, is it on at a certain time? Because I want to be at the parks all day. I don’t know yet if that epi will be online, if so, I am fine with that.

I think the tv at WDW is terrible! I’m one of those that has to go to sleep to the tv, no matter where I am - and there is NOTHING to watch. I get the novelty of watching the “Disneyfied” channels if your first-time visitors - it’s kind of fun to see everything that is going on - but after that it gets pretty old - and I know that WDW is family-oriented - but is it necessary to have THREE religious channels? One wouldn’t suffice?

Have to agree that it is terrible. Stacey is good on the first day and after that I kinda wanna slap her a little.:laugh: Me and DD usually end up watching the Disney channel most of the time, but even that wears thin. Three religous channels is in fact two to many. WDW probally has as to not offend one of the specific religions which is completey strange to me, but I am not a religious woman and don’t really understand such things. If people need to get their church on, there are services all around the WDW area.

We rarely watch it…we do fall asleep to it however like you llama, so we get it…lol

Can you DVR/TiVo it and watch it when you get home?