Beach Club Villas Alligator

I know it’s been posted about before, but I had not seen it until this last trip (May-June 09). It was by the walkway from the Beach Club Villas to the Parking Lot (past the BCV pool going away from the BC Resort). Looked to be about 5 foot long. Conflicting information from CMs said it either was okay because there isn’t easy guest access to the water there or it was getting too big and would be removed soon. I don’t know which was correct, but after a couple of days it wasn’t seen again.

At Hilton Head you have to kick their butts off the greens to putt! I’m not sure they are endangered anymore. Welcome to the Florida swamps!

OMG… alligators are my true physical fear. I would have freaked out. I thought Disney routinely removed gators from property. I doubt they can endure that much liability.

i’ve read in other places that when they “remove” them… they really “remove” them (ie–kill)… since they can find their way back (easy food when people feed them and they can become aggressive toward people because of it)…

We went on an Everglades tour and they said the same thing. That once they lost their fear of people they were too dangerous and had to be destroyed.

We look for him everytime we go and have never seen him. We’ve only seen the turtles. Your pics are so cool. I can’t wait to show them to my husband. The legend lives!

OMG! Thats scary! I would DIE if I seen one on my WDW trip.

We had a little fella (4’) hanging outside of our room at the old CR North Garden Wing. He scampered back into the water whenever a patio door opened.

We have become so accustomed to them in our daily lives that we just pass right by them on the golf course or on the boat. They are more scared of any human interaction than people really know.

Then someone crazy tourist feeds them because “the little 2 footer is just so darn cute…why don’t you go pet him Billy”. And the whole circle of life is relived in vivid color. Little Billy is missing a digit or two. Next thing you know someone has a new wallet in NYC.

Leave them be and everything will be just fine. THey are beautiful creatures and serve a purpose in the wild.

It looks hungry…

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;967990]
Then someone crazy tourist feeds them because “the little 2 footer is just so darn cute…why don’t you go pet him Billy”. And the whole circle of life is relived in vivid color. Little Billy is missing a digit or two. Next thing you know someone has a new wallet in NYC.[/QUOTE]

That was really funny! :laugh:

Yikes. But what a gorgeous creature. :heart:

I don’t know if it was hungry, but probably not based on the amount of fish swimming near it’s mouth and it’s apparent disinterest in them. I saw a couple of folks throwing food to it (cookies and such) which it ate. CM’s shut them down really quickly, and said security would take a dim view of guests feeding the alligator.

I was told by a CM that it mainly hangs out by and under the bridge that runs under the Beach Club Villas and rarely goes past the area where the pool bathrooms are located at the BCV. I never saw it more than about 10 feet beyond the bridge. It would take a commited person to get down by the water where it was hanging out, but I’m guessing there is someone out there who would try to get a “closer look.” That, or one of the parents holding there kids up to see better might lose there grip. Either event would be bad news for the guest, the kid, and Disney, so I wouldn’t be suprised at all if it is already a new pair of boots.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;967990]We had a little fella (4’) hanging outside of our room at the old CR North Garden Wing. He scampered back into the water whenever a patio door opened.

We have become so accustomed to them in our daily lives that we just pass right by them on the golf course or on the boat. They are more scared of any human interaction than people really know.

Then someone crazy tourist feeds them because “the little 2 footer is just so darn cute…why don’t you go pet him Billy”. And the whole circle of life is relived in vivid color. Little Billy is missing a digit or two. Next thing you know someone has a new wallet in NYC.

Leave them be and everything will be just fine. THey are beautiful creatures and serve a purpose in the wild.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree they are great creatures that just need to be left alone. I would have love to see it and just watch it, nothing more

Florida Fact: Any body of fresh water, at any time, can contain an gator. When it says “NO SWIMMING” don’t swim. :glare:

During our last trip to CBR, there is a large lake with sandy beaches. There was a Mother allowing her kids to go in up to their knees when there was a BIG SIGN that said “NO SWIMMING”. Gators have “pea” brains, they work on instinct alone, and will “attack” if they think skinny kid legs are bird legs.

Across the lake was wetlands, marsh, etc. I wanted SO BADLY to say something to her, but didn’t. :pinch: It freaked me out! :eek:

Ok, call me environmentally unfriendly, but my idea of Disney Magic is not having my arm bitten off by an alligator roaming around my resort. I understand they usually don’t attack unless provoked, threatned or hungry, and as long as people don’t feed it, you should be ok. But let’s be honest, not everyone that comes to Disey is playing with a full deck of cards, and I’m sure some people think it’d cool to throw it food. I don’t really care how they “remove” it or them, as long as they aren’t a threat to me or to my children, esp the 4 yr old who would go runing to pet it if he could.

Let’s just say when we’re there in August I won’t be exactly “looking” for it…LOL…

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;968076]Florida Fact: Any body of fresh water, at any time, can contain an gator. When it says “NO SWIMMING” don’t swim. :glare:

During our last trip to CBR, there is a large lake with sandy beaches. There was a Mother allowing her kids to go in up to their knees when there was a BIG SIGN that said “NO SWIMMING”. Gators have “pea” brains, they work on instinct alone, and will “attack” if they think skinny kid legs are bird legs.

Across the lake was wetlands, marsh, etc. I wanted SO BADLY to say something to her, but didn’t. :pinch: It freaked me out! :eek:[/QUOTE]

The no swimming signs are because of a deadly amoeba that could exist in Florida’s lakes. The swimming restrictions are not gator related. Opened in 1989 swimming was allowed at CBR until the mid 1990s.
Here is alinkto a story about the amoeba.

Being a northerner I always look in the water ways for gators as it is such a novelty to see them.
Over the years I have seen or heard gators at a few places around WDW.
I have seen a gator in the same location that started this thread.
In the canal that is in front of POR.
CBR in the large lake as you enter and in a marshy area behind one of the bus stops (I think it was in Jamaica)
Magic Kingdom, It was in the Rivers of America near the walkway that goes over the water.

I look at those pictures and I think,

“New shoes.”

There was an alligator in the water @ MK a couple years ago when we were there. It was not very big, and was swimming in the water by Tom Sawyer Island. We asked a CM about it and he said they knew it was there. It was neat to watch it!