Beaches!

We have decided at the last minute to leave for Disney a day early so that my DM can visit The Holy Land Experience. I was wondering if there were any beaches near Disney we could visit since we will not be checking into our Disney resort until the next day?

There aren’t any really close by . . . but here’s an old thread with info for you!

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/orlando-hotels-attractions/37127-nearest-beach-disney-world.html

Thanks for the link!!! I found just the info I needed!

Cocoa Beach is a direct route from Disney and it’s nice. It is about an hour drive though. We vacationed there last year and LOVED it. We wish we could head back this year.

Yeah… Cocoa Beach is advertised as the closest beach to Walt Disney World (they have many billboards).

Daytona Beach, its only an hour away, this is where we usually stay when we leave a day early! We always leave a day early since its a 9 hour drive!

We usually do Cocoa Beach for a day each (long)trip.

I like Melbourne, just South of Daytona on the Atlantic coast. Much nicer than over hyped Daytona, clean and well kept.

You said Melbourne, Never stayed there, we may have try there this time going down instead of Daytona!:heart:

Cocoa Beach is the straightest shot and closest beach to WDW.
Take the Beach Line expressway (SR 528) straight to Cape Canaveral and hit that beach, or turn off at SR 520 and head east on that road straight into Cocoa Beach.
That’s right I said Cape Canaveral as in that CAPE CANAVERAL.
And you can see ICBM row from Cocoa Beach as well, although the shuttle pad is about 16 miles to the north.
When in Cocoa Beach, DO NOT ASK WHERE MAJOR NELSON’S HOUSE IS!
IT ISN’T AND NEVER WAS THERE!
In fact, there are no neighborhoods that even look like the street from “I Dream of Jeannie” even 30 years ago.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;963837]

In fact, there are no neighborhoods that even look like the street from “I Dream of Jeannie” even 30 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like there is a story there…did you tick someone off and get banned from Cocoa Beach for life?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;963837]Cocoa Beach is the straightest shot and closest beach to WDW.
Take the Beach Line expressway (SR 528) straight to Cape Canaveral and hit that beach, or turn off at SR 520 and head east on that road straight into Cocoa Beach.
That’s right I said Cape Canaveral as in that CAPE CANAVERAL.
And you can see ICBM row from Cocoa Beach as well, although the shuttle pad is about 16 miles to the north.
In fact, there are no neighborhoods that even look like the street from “I Dream of Jeannie” even 30 years ago.[/QUOTE]

When we went to Cocoa last year we expected to see something…literally anything that was I Dream of Jeanine related. You would expect in a town so small and a show so big there would be at least a little fanfare but there was only ONE street and it was called I Dream of Jeanine Way.
Granted we didn’t go looking for I Dream of Jeanine stuff but you would expect some things to be apparent.

Bella, there actually is a street called “I Dream of Jeannie Lane” off of N. Atlantic Ave. (A1A) at the south end of Lori Wilson Park. A1A is the main north south road through Cocoa Beach, running the length of the barrier island from Port Canaveral all the way the north side of the inlet in Fort Pierce. But anyway, the street is right out there for the world to see. You just have to know when to look for it.
Lori Wilson Park is about a mile and a half south of SR 520 (Cocoa Beach Causeway) and about a mile and a quarter south of Ron Jon Surf Shop.
And Lori Wilson Park is a beach park, allowing you to kill two birds with one stone.

I should have written even 30 years ago there WERE no neighborhoods that looked like the neighborhood from the show. As locals pointed out to me in 1982 during my first visit, the trees were all wrong and the houses themselves were all wrong for what existed at the time or during the run of the show.

Not hardly. It’s just the first time I played Brassey’s in Cocoa Beach in 82, we asked and were told. I’m just suggesting you not ask, lest you be taken for a know nothing tourist (as you go shopping for tee shirts at Ron John’s:laugh:).