Behind-the-scenes Tours

Just wondering if I could get some info on some of the guided tours offered at the Parks. I was thinking about doing Keys to the Kingdom on our next visit? Can somebody tell me about this? How much do you really get to see “behind-the-scenes?” Is it very expensive? What other tours might be a good choice to do? I’ve always wanted to do one of the backstage tours Disney offers.

llama did this tour I think. She wasn’t happy with it as I recall. Try pming her if she doesn’t see this.

I heard that there is a underground tour. I dont know if true but It would be awsome!!!

Both Keys to the Kingdom and Backstage Magic take you into the utilidors underneath the Magic Kingdom. I did Backstage Magic–the 7-hour, gazillion dollar tour that goes to three of the parks. NOT WORTH IT!

But I’ve heard great things about Keys to the Kingdom…

From the description I read for Keys it sounds like you get to hear a lot of interesting stories while touring the park, visit a few attractions, and see the backstage area for the parades and the ultidoors. I’m wondering how much they really show you of the ultidoors. Is it just a glimpse or do you get a little tour? I think it would be so cool to see what goes on down below all the rides and hundreds of thousands of people.

I think the tour would be even better if they took you up in the castle to see Walt’s apartment. How cool would that be!

Also, does anybody have an idea of how long the tour lasts?

Llama hated Keys to the Kingdom and says don’t do it. I found some past posts so here are the quotes from her.

[B]All I can tell you is - Don’t do the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at MK if your touring time is valuable. It was a very expensive waste of four hours. It does start about an hour before the park opens, but holds you an unwilling captive for another three.

RUN - as fast as you can - in the opposite direction of Keys to the Kingdom. Trust me - there ain’t no magic behind the scenes of the MK. Just the most boring tour known to man. AND it’s 4 hours long. The only good part of it is lunch.[/B]

:frown: Hmmmm…there were a lot of people that said the tour was really fun and interesting from the reviews I read on allears.net. I’m sure it makes a difference if you get a good guide or not. I guess Llama wouldn’t recommend it though. :frown:

Once you’ve seen one backstage, you’ve seen them all. As for the tours, Keys was good, but it got a little long around the 5th hour. I remember having trouble keeping alert when we were down in the Utilidor. It is interesting. Just, as I said, when you’ve been backstage at as many theaters, areans, convention centers and even theme parks, there is a sameness in the form and function. If you’re a fan, you probably want to do this once. I enjoyed the Future World tour at Epcot and the Animal Kingdom tours, as well as the steam trains tour more than Keys.

DH did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour last time by himself and loved it. They did walk through the Utilidors and went on a few rides. The participants were given head sets so they could hear the tour guide while on rides. I think they went on Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise. He wants to do it again on our next trip. If you have any questions on specifics I would be happy to ask him for you.

What is the cost for something like this?

Well, I thought my ears were burning.:laugh:

I can only repeat what I wrote. Our worst experience at Disney. We asked and got our money back.

I suppose if you are so detail-oriented that everything about Disney fascinates you, you might enjoy it - but we couldn’t find it. The Utilidor is an underground hallway - that’s it. You just stand in it - for an hour - you don’t go to any departments, see anything - except a long hallway. Part of the tour was actually reading the CM’s Bulletin Board.:pinch: “Blood Drive on Dec. 1”… We also saw “the old CM lockers, but they have new lockers now”. Can you imagine lockers being any part of a tour? The only moving I did down there was jumping out of the way of golf carts. Beep, beep, beep - constantly, for an hour. We also stood in a parking lot for a half hour looking at the wire Tinkerbell flies down every evening. That’s it. Just the wire. We were also treated to the garbage shoot. In 90 degree heat - watching putrid garbage shoot through a tube is not my idea of fun. Both my dds and I were nauseous when we finally left there. A lady in our tour thought she was going to faint.

As far as seeing any “Magic” - we saw one broken float - weren’t allowed to go near it - just saw it. No costume department, no characters. Nothing. We were suppose to have behind the scenes tours of PotC and the Haunted Mansion. PotC broke down - no contingency plan. HM was closed for refurbishment - no contingency plan. Instead we stood in the middle of the park listening to the guide “describe” the rides - rides we’ve been on 100 times. If I wasn’t so mad, it would have been funny.:laugh: Save your money. You’ll see more “magic” on your own in those four hour and you won’t be held captive.

Well, I thought my ears were burning.:laugh:

I can only repeat what I wrote. Our worst experience at Disney. We asked and got our money back.

I suppose if you are so detail-oriented that everything about Disney fascinates you, you might enjoy it - but we couldn’t find it. The Utilidor is an underground hallway - that’s it. You just stand in it - for an hour - you don’t go to any departments, see anything - except a long hallway. Part of the tour was actually reading the CM’s Bulletin Board.:pinch: “Blood Drive on Dec. 1”… We also saw “the old CM lockers, but they have new lockers now”. Can you imagine lockers being any part of a tour? The only moving I did down there was jumping out of the way of golf carts. Beep, beep, beep - constantly, for an hour. We also stood in a parking lot for a half hour looking at the wire Tinkerbell flies down every evening. That’s it. Just the wire. We were also treated to the garbage shoot. In 90 degree heat - watching putrid garbage shoot through a tube is not my idea of fun. Both my dds and I were nauseous when we finally left there. A lady in our tour thought she was going to faint.

As far as seeing any “Magic” - we saw one broken float - weren’t allowed to go near it - just saw it. No costume department, no characters. Nothing. We were suppose to have behind the scenes tours of PotC and the Haunted Mansion. PotC broke down - no contingency plan. HM was closed for refurbishment - no contingency plan. Instead we stood in the middle of the park listening to the guide “describe” the rides - rides we’ve been on 100 times. If I was so mad, it would have been funny.:laugh: Save your money. You’ll see more “magic” on your own in those four hours we were held captive.

Just checked on the Disney website. It’s $60 and also requires but doesn’t include theme park admission for the day. But the cost does include lunch at the Columbia Harbor House. It seems a bit pricey, but I know DVC members get a discount and there could be other special offers depending on when you book it. At least when the tour finishes you can hang out at the park for the rest of the day and impress everyone else with your plethora of Disney knowledge. :laugh: :laugh:

Don’t forget you get a special pin at the end of the tour. Or at least you did in January. For my husband it was one of the most fun things he did at disney, he really thought it was worth it, but it is a little detail oriented. You get to know what a lot of the little things in the park means.

I’m so glad you started this thread. I’m looking to sign DH up for a tour while DD and I are at the Perfectly Princess Tea Party. Was thinking of the Keys to the Kingdom or the Epcot Segway Tour. Has anyone done the Segway tour? Llama your review sounds like you had an awful time at that tour. I’m so glad to hear you were able to get your $ back! Hopefully it was just a really bad tour guide!

My DH almost refused to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour alone, I guess he thought he wouldn’t have fun. When he got back he couldn’t stop talking about it ( I do have to admit I loved hearing about it). The next day, while still in disney he said he wanted to do it on the next trip. I have already posted how much he loved it, so have fun whatever you choose for hubby.

The head set thing is an innovation I first noticed on one of the Animal Kingdom tours. It does make it a lot easier to hear what your guide is saying. Don’t worry, only the guide has a mic.

Are you negative nellies kidding me??? The Keys to the Kingdom tour was awesome. I know so many facts about the park now that I would never have known. DH and I do a tour every year. We loved the Backstage Safari at AK. You get to go into the animals housing and vet areas. The Keys was so informative BUT if you don’t want to know how some of the “Magic” is done then it’s not for you BUT if you’re an inquiring mind like me…go for it. Like someone said, lunch at Columbia Harbor House is included. you do go into the utilitors for a awhile but prior to 9/11 they took to the departments and wardrobing, post 9/11, you see how the utilitors work but not as extensive.
Personally, I have never regretted spending my time or money on this tour.
This year we are doing Around the World at Epcot on a Segway (DH’s choice, not mine, would rather have donewild by design in AK). Next year.

I keep thinking I did another tour in the Magic Kingdom as well as Keys that was only three hours. We also have done a couple of the Disneyland tours, and while I agree there’s plenty of Disneyana tidbits that you’ll learn, sometimes, the same facts wind up being repeated in all of the tours. Either that or I know more about Disney than I think.