Best day to fly?

Does anyone have advice on the best day to fly as far as prices go? We usually fly out on a Friday and fly back on a Monday 10 days later. I like to have two weekends in there to preserve my husbands vacation, but want to be conscious of our budget if it saves a lot to fly out on a different day. How about Thursdays? Any thoughts?

Tuesdays always seem to show up as cheaper days for me… and sometimes, even Monday. I think you’d really have to look at the specific days to figure out if it saved you money… but it’s always worth it to look!

I have found that it all depends on:

1. Departure location

2. Arrival location

3. The airline

All three have to come together to get a good fare on a certain day. For ex., in planning our trip to WDW last summer, I spent a good deal of time doing research for flights from each of the local airports available to us—and looking at which day held the best flight times and fares for that day at that airport.

It took me a while, but I finally settled on the airport that worked the best with the airline and the day we preferred to go.

If you only have one way to get there—one airport for departure, and one airline, then it’s pretty cut and dry.

Just as a side note, once upon a time, it was less expensive for us to fly from here to Tampa than Orlando. That didn’t last long however—and when Disney offered ME for free, that saved the car rental so—back to Orlando Int. for us. :smile:

Thanks for replying. We only have one airport to choose from, so our options are limited. I’ll start watching trends. We have plenty of time, but I just didn’t know if there was a hard-and-fast rule that we might be ignorant of.

…there used to be rules such as traveling mid week—or a Sat morning—things like that—but I don’t find that to be the case anymore.

Since you have time, do a little bit of “what if” by plugging in different days of the week for going and coming back…see what you come up with. :smile:

Tuesday is the best day with Wednesday and Thursday being the next two best.

Pricing out our trip this year (using Southwest), I found there really wasn’t real day that was better than the next. EXCEPT, the weekend before April vacation really expensive.
Now Jet Blue defiantly has better prices mid week compared to weekends.

I would just look on a daily basis…
When you feel the price could not get any better, book it.

Also, you can bank the difference for a year if your fare price goes down. I just banked $250.00 :cool:

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1132244]Pricing out our trip this year (using Southwest), I found there really wasn’t real day that was better than the next. EXCEPT, the weekend before April vacation really expensive.
Now Jet Blue defiantly has better prices mid week compared to weekends.

I would just look on a daily basis…
When you feel the price could not get any better, book it.

Also, you can bank the difference for a year if your fare price goes down. I just banked $250.00 :cool:[/QUOTE]

Which airline banks the difference? Is that Southwest or Jet Blue?

As said before, it really does depend on the airline. We have noticed a difference but we always check all the airlines at the airport we are departing from.

We notice there is always a cheaper flight coming back on Sundays if we can swing it, and for some reason “going to WDW” is usually cheaper if we depart on Tuesday.
But this only applies if we go with one certain airline and return with another.
(Canadian airlines would not be helpful to you, so I won’t bother posting them.)

You really have to do your homework.

Both do! I never have had to do it with Southwest.
I was only on the phone for maybe 15 min with JetBlue.

Great info! Thanks again for all the input!

I was just catching up when I read Dana’s post. Absolutely correct. Airlines tend to release low fares on Tuesdays. I booked our flights out of Philadelphia at the end of 2012 for our September 2013 trip. I found a $220 fare out of Philadelphia on a Tuesday. OUr departure is on a Friday and return 10 days later on a Sunday. I tried BWI, Leigh Valley, and Atlantic City and all airlines were much higher. They did a piece on our local news once confirming the Tuesday release of lower airfare. When I’m watching for the airfares, I just make it a habit to check every day either at work or at home.

Yes, I was able to get a such a cheaper price doing that it enabled me to add a day at Disney, pay for another night at the resort and still come in under. Timing matter. Holidays are a good time to look for flight sales too.