Best Lightweight Stroller

I just realized that my barely 4 year old son will need a stroller for the days we will be at the parks unless we plan to carry him when his little legs get tired. I would really prefer to bring our own as the rentals look uncomfortable and are expensive, and he has outgrown the stroller we had for him.

So, does anyone have a suggestion on a nice lightweight stroller that can hold a 45 lb. boy? Naturally, I would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible; however, DH and I have been discussing another baby someday, so I would like one that will last. I have been looking at the Combi Urban or the Maclaren Volo. Does anyone have experience with either?

Also, I have a 6 yr old DD that will be with us as well. Should I expect that she will need a stroller at times too? 6 seems really old for a stroller to me, but we’ve never done anything like WDW before.

Thanks!

I just got a Peg Perego Aria which only weighs 9 lbs and folds very thin. We love it! But, it is on the expensive side (we justified it by figuring out what what we would spend on renting a stroller while we were down there. It wasn’t a whole lot more to buy it.) The Aria also has two big cupholders for the child, with a tray for snacks in between. It is the only stroller we have owned that fit DD’s cups in it.

I am not sure about the other strollers. I know I had a Combi EX or DX, something like that. It turned well for a few months then it got to where you couldn’t steer it without fighting with it. Such a pain.

Our Maclaren was/is pretty much bullet proof. It has seen all sorts of trips in all sorts of conditions. I imagine I will one day be pushing my grandkids in it. :laugh:

I have a 5 year old dd who is the same weight, has been for 2 years…almost. We have a MacLaren Triumph (We chose the Triumph over the Volo since the Triumph reclines) and WE LOVE IT!!! I cannot say enough good things about this stroller!! My DH was not found of the price at first but now he sees it was totally worth every single penny spent and he wants to get a new one for our DS!! (Even though there is nothing wrong with the old one but DD uses it in the parks and I REFUSE to rent a stroller from WDW I’d rather each be pushing a stroller!!)

I have a soon to be 4 year old and when she uses a stroller (which is NEVER :blink:), we use the Maclaren Quest. I chose the Quest over the other Maclaren single models because it’s a bit wider. It also has a legrest that adjusts. And the recline is GREAT. I bought it when she was only months old and I wanted something that would be comfortable until she was too big to use it! :laugh:

The Quest is the LIGHTEST single stroller I’ve ever owned. And it folds the most compact! It’s suitable from babies 3 months up through 55 pounds…maybe more! This stroller pushes like a DREAM. You can get some GREAT deals on this stroller online, too. It has a decent size basket and comes with a raincover. It has a handle so when you fold it, you can easily carry it on and off the busses and trams.

I have had MANY MANY MANY strollers in the past 7 years and I have never had any that I would recommend as much as I would recommend Maclaren’s. After you get your use out of it, you can recoup some of your money by selling it on ebay.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I would go with the Maclaren. My brother has a combi and it takes so much effort to push with a 20 pounder!!

Love the MacLaren. We bought one before the trip to Hawaii. Loved it. With 4 kids, we have been through our share of strollers. This is by far the best we ever bought.

Okay, so I guess I need to go out and get my DS a MacLaren. What about my DD? Do 6 year olds who are used to being in all day kindergarten usually need a stroller at WDW? Should I get one for her as well, or just rent one at WDW when and if she needs it?

I LOVE LOVE my Macleran-I think I have the Volvo!! We will be taking it next spring when we go to WDW. My DD will be about a week past her 6th birthday, but she s very petite (she looks like a 2 yo right now) so her legs will not survive! But it folds up easy (which is nice when we are on the trams), it is so lightweight, and it holds up to 55 pounds.

We also purchased the Maclaren single( not sure which one) for our trip last year and my kids were 5 and 7 at the time!! Never thought I would be purchasing a stroller at their ages, but we used it every day. They actually fought over it the entire time- it is a alot of walking!! We chose to purchase a new stroller since it was cheaper than 10 days of rental!!!:laugh:

Most definitely she will need a stroller. there is so much walking for adults… You will be exhausted at the end of the day- even if you are not carrying anyone at all. It is about 10 times more exhausting when everyone is tired and you have to walk back to your room… My 8 and 6 year olds got a stroller last year. They definitely used it… she will appreciate having a place to sit and still be able to go to where you want to walk next… She will have fun in her seat. Plus she can sit in it for parades and be up high enough to see… Have a fun trip.

We are pondering strollers for the trip in November. The kids will be 9 and 6. We have both a single and a double (side by side) Maclaren.

Not only do you use the stroller to carry the kids, but it also carries the backpacks, a small cooler with drinks, light spinners, hats, first aid kit, any park purchases, the camera - well you get the idea. I think I will miss the stroller more than the kids!

Maybe this is JMO but I wouldn’t fork out the money for an expensive stroller, when it doesn’t even have a tray for the kids’ snacks. It all depends on what you want, but the drink/snack tray is very convenient. It all depends on what you want. But I have owned strollers without trays and would never go back to one without one.

I think it all depends on the age of the child. We got our stroller when my DD was 3 so she really didn’t need a snack tray. I think more of the younger kids would be the ones who needed the tray.

I had strollers with trays for DS, but DD NEVER has had a tray on her strollers and she’s 4 now. I haven’t missed it for a single day.

We’ve had only two strollers from “day 1” nearly 9 years ago: a single and a double Maclaren. We never missed the snack tray either. Or cup holders at the handles.

We wanted something lightweight but sturdy - something we could use in the mall as well as take on the plane to WDW. We both had to be able to comfortably push the stroller (I am 6’1" and she is 5’1") - I didn’t want to be slumped over - and this was a problem with many other strollers.

The options on the Maclaren that we found most useful were the rain bonnet (got to love the FL weather) and the winter boot for cold days here in the NE.

[QUOTE=Elmo;938365]We’ve had only two strollers from “day 1” nearly 9 years ago: a single and a double Maclaren. We never missed the snack tray either. Or cup holders at the handles.

We wanted something lightweight but sturdy - something we could use in the mall as well as take on the plane to WDW. We both had to be able to comfortably push the stroller (I am 6’1" and she is 5’1") - I didn’t want to be slumped over - and this was a problem with many other strollers.

The options on the Maclaren that we found most useful were the rain bonnet (got to love the FL weather) and the winter boot for cold days here in the NE.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I forgot about that boot! I think it only comes with the Techno/Traveller models. But you are so right. The handles are at a perfect height…I found many other handles too low, even for me and I am 5’5". Dh is 6’ so we needed something he could push, too.

As for cup holders for the parents…you can buy a Maclaren Organizer which has two cup holders, a small pocket and a large mesh bag. More storage!!! And perfect for sippie cups, bottles of soda/water, etc. I just wouldn’t put a Fountain Soda in there. :laugh:

[QUOTE=iluvwdw;938421]Oh yes, I forgot about that boot! I think it only comes with the Techno/Traveller models. But you are so right. The handles are at a perfect height…I found many other handles too low, even for me and I am 5’5". Dh is 6’ so we needed something he could push, too.

As for cup holders for the parents…you can buy a Maclaren Organizer which has two cup holders, a small pocket and a large mesh bag. More storage!!! And perfect for sippie cups, bottles of soda/water, etc. I just wouldn’t put a Fountain Soda in there. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

We bought the mesh bag too!! I love it! We throw our mugs in them when we are done with them!!

We have used 2 $9 target umbrella strollers for 3 trips and everything in between. Never had one problem and If you loose them? No problem!

Unless you want to be carrying a 6 year old or hearing, “My legs hurt, I’m tired” all day, you better have a stroller for her as well. I would either get an inexpensive lightweight stroller for her to hop in and out of when she is tired, or look into getting a double stroller. The double stroller is bigger but only requires one person to be pushing a stroller at a time. We have a double front to back stroller and I pop the snack tray off the front seat and DS6 just hops off and on the front seat whenever he needs a break or some shade from the sun. The back seat is reserved for our DD2 so that she can lay back, nap or sit and eat a snack to keep her occupied. I recommend front to back doubles since they more easily fit into doorways, line-ups and aisles in the stores.