Best place for Italian?

Hi!! I am wondering what the best place for Italian food is? Thanks!

I likes Mama Melreose’s in Hollywood studios. I didn’t expect it to be good, but it was. And the sausage dish was my favorite of the trip!

I’ll vote for Tutto Italia. It was my choice three different times last year.
Their menu is much more varied than Mama’s and Tony’s combined.
If you broaden out to non dining plan choices, both Portobello Yacht Club in DTD and il Mulino in the Swan would be good choices as well.

thanks! where is Tutto Italia?

Tutto Italia is the Italian restaurant in Italy. It used to be Alfredo’s, but management and menu were changed about 18 months ago.
(One Credit and big bang for your buck, especially if you’re on the deluxe dining plan)

If the Il Mulino is anything at all like the original one in New York City, I suspect you will LOVE it. I have noe eaten at the Florida one, but the NYC restaurant is arguable one of the best Italian places in the city!

I forget who posted they did eat at il Mulino, (probably one of our central Florida posters), but they did rave about it.
I know it was one of us people who go to WDW as much for fine dining as for the parks.

I would probably stick to the italian food at Wolfgang Puck’s in the Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island area.

I would AVOID eating at Mama Melrose’s in the Hollywood Studios. My wife and I ate there and would never go back. The food was barely edible…some was very bland, while the pasta dishes (I had chicken parmesan) had the nastiest tomato/spaghetti sauce to it.

I would also not recommend Tutto Italia (at least not based on what they were serving back in 2006). I don’t know if they’ve changed the menu since then, but nobody out of our party of 8 liked it or said they’d eat there again. That includes my parents who are pretty much gourmets and have what others might call a refined palatte when it comes to food. If they’ve changed the menu, it’s possibly worth another shot.

[QUOTE=SilentRascal;939566]
I would also not recommend Tutto Italia (at least not based on what they were serving back in 2006). I don’t know if they’ve changed the menu since then, but nobody out of our party of 8 liked it or said they’d eat there again. That includes my parents who are pretty much gourmets and have what others might call a refined palatte when it comes to food. If they’ve changed the menu, it’s possibly worth another shot.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. The last time we ate there we were a party of 5 and we all were disapointed with our meals.

I honestly don’t know of any good Italian food at WDW. With all of their dining options, you’d think they’d have some good Italian restaurants.

I, too, do not recommend Tutto Italia. I prefered Alfredo’s. Tutto Italia is overpriced (imo) and not that great. I found the entrees to be rather skimpy. No one in our party of 4 was pleased with their food.

[QUOTE=SilentRascal;939566]I would probably stick to the italian food at Wolfgang Puck’s in the Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island area.
I would also not recommend Tutto Italia (at least not based on what they were serving back in 2006). I don’t know if they’ve changed the menu since then, but nobody out of our party of 8 liked it or said they’d eat there again. That includes my parents who are pretty much gourmets and have what others might call a refined palatte when it comes to food. If they’ve changed the menu, it’s possibly worth another shot.[/QUOTE]

If you ate there in 2006, that wasn’t Tutto Italia. In 2006, it was still Alfredo di Roma, which many people didn’t like in its later days.
I wouldn’t call Wolfgang Puck Italian, although there are some Italian influenced dishes. In DTD, the real choice for Italian is Portobello Yacht Club, next door to Fulton’s.

Back to Tutto Italia, it could be considered pricey, but if you are on the dining plan, it’s a big bang for the buck, especially if you’re on the deluxe plan. Again, if you eat right, you will leave there full, especially if you’re on the deluxe plan and get appetizer and dessert with your entree.
Again, we ate there three times last year and enjoyed each meal, so it’s clear that individual tastes play a big part in people’s opinion of Tutto Italia.

And yes, the menu has changed. In fact, since becoming Tutto Italia, they have changed the menu every three or four months.

Il Mulino IMHO is as good as it gets in WDW. Great menu
bread basket and deserts are very good. And I will give a
shout out to Mangino’s at the SOG resort also IMHO way
ahead of the Disney Italian restaurants.

Tony’s It’s a hidden secret.

Wow!! We ate there before the change, and I tell you, the Osso Buco they gave me reminded us of the opening of the Flinstones. DW said that it could have fed the four of us (I did finish it by the way…can’t carry leftovers, right?)
I am upset to hear these bad reviews, because they made the cut on our upcoming August trip. :mellow:

I didn’t like Mama’s too much before our last trip, but our family of 4 loved it. We live in the “Italian” part of Buffalo, and eat some good food. This was pretty good, homey sort of Italian.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;938288]I forget who posted they did eat at il Mulino, (probably one of our central Florida posters), but they did rave about it.
I know it was one of us people who go to WDW as much for fine dining as for the parks.[/QUOTE]

That would be me. I have eaten at Il Mulino twice now and it will definitely be at the top of my list from now on. It was DIVINE! Everything about the restaurant was exceptional.

I wanted to try Il Mulino in June for our 20th Wedding Anniv but I read somewhere that it is family style. I was not sure if it was like Germany where you dine with other families. I don’t mind that but I don’t want to share my husband on this trip. Can someone tell me about that…sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.

We’ve eaten at Tony’s about 5 years ago and did not care too much for it. I am afraid to try it again. We are going to try Mama’s and Tutto’s this time around. We both come from Italian families so we are hoping they will be good.

Actually, it wasn’t you. It was a Floridian.
But you’re such a Swan fan anyway…

For me, Disney and Italian food is the same as Olive Garden and Italian food:nonono2:! I don’t think it will kill ya but why take a chance!:laugh: