"Big Kid" rides and a 3 yr old

Ok…I know that first of all, some people think that I am crazy bringing an almost 3 yr old to WDW to begin with. Secondly, I do realize that the maturity level as well as likes and dislikes can vary greatly from child to child. That being said, now for my minor delima…I am pretty sure that my son will meet the 40" requirement for some of the rides at WDW when we go in Sept. While I don’t want to terrify him by bringing him on Tower of Terror or Dinosaur, does anyone have any insight on bringing a young, but size appropriate child on rides such as Soarin’, Splash Mountain, or Kali River Rapids? :blink: He usually doesn’t scare easy and he didn’t flinch with any of the smaller rides that we took him on last year at MK.

First of all…I doubt anyone here thinks you are crazy for taking a 3year old to Disney…what a perfect age…everything is truely magical at that age and there is no better experience, for even an adult, than to see that magic through a child’s eyes.

As for the rides…you are right that it dramatically depends on the child. Our DS at 3 was big enough for most of the rides and loved any ride that he was able to go on…that boy doesn’t have an ounce of fear in his body. However, our DD is quite the opposite. Even now at almost 5 years old, she is hesitant with many rides and attractions. It really depends on the personality of the child.

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;980483]First of all…I doubt anyone here thinks you are crazy for taking a 3year old to Disney…what a perfect age…everything is truely magical at that age and there is no better experience, for even an adult, than to see that magic through a child’s eyes.

As for the rides…you are right that it dramatically depends on the child. Our DS at 3 was big enough for most of the rides and loved any ride that he was able to go on…that boy doesn’t have an ounce of fear in his body. However, our DD is quite the opposite. Even now at almost 5 years old, she is hesitant with many rides and attractions. It really depends on the personality of the child.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mickey Mom! My DS sounds much more like your DS. Glad to hear that what I am considering has been done before for the most part. Not that I doubted it, just glad to hear it from someone. I really don’t think that I would have a problem with him, but what parent wants to take their child on Soarin’ and have him ruin it for everyone in the room. My husband and I honestly don’t think that it would be an issue, but it is not an action that I want to take without a lot of thought. Screaming on some other attractions are a given even for some adults. I know, it’s Disney, I am putting too much thought into having fun. :blush:

If other’s have any insight, keep it coming…:happy:

Both of my kids started their love of Goofy’s Barnstormer when they were about three.

We couldn’t wait to take our kids on the big rides!! Even when DD was just shy of 40", we found some really great platform flip flops to give her the extra boost!! DD has LOVED every big kid ride and DS3 should be 40" on the next trip and he can’t wait!! Plus, no more Rider Switch passes to worry about!!

I also believe in pointing out things to take their mind off of something scary- like on the Haunted Mansion my friends DD was scared so I had her try to find a cat. It distracted her enough to get through the ride happily.

Every kid should try every ride once and be able to tell the parent if they like it or not.

Not so sure a 3 year old is ready for Tower of Terror, but you could introduce your child to the joys of roller coasters with the Goofy’s Barnstormer family coaster in Toontown, as long as he measures up.
Age seems to have little to do with who is ready and who isn’t. Case in point, my (then) 8 year old nephew was too scared to lift our rocket off the deck on the Astro Orbiter while I routinely see 7 year olds on Space Mountain and loving it and the same goes for ToT.
All I can say as a non-parent, don’t force any child onto any ride, no matter how tame.

For the most part our DS wants to do whatever he sees his parents doing with the exception of waiting in line, but then…we don’t want to wait in line either, but he is not even 3 yet (will be 3 mid Sept), so if he throws a fit about it, it is understandable.

Last year the thunder at the very beginning of HM scared him for a couple of seconds, after that, he was fine. He rode Dumbo, Tea Cups, and Peter Pan with no trouble.

Thanks again for all of the insight given so far…keep it coming. :mickey:

I’ve been taking my little DD since she was 6 months . . . she caught the bug EARLY and loves it!

My DDs are 4 years apart . . . so it took awhile before we could all go on the same rides. I think you almost have to test them yourself to see what they like and dislike. My DD9 has liked Soarin’ since she was big enough to ride, DD5 not so much! :laugh: She claims she’s “afraid of heights!” :confused:

In the days before height restrictions (and when you sat down inside the space mountain cars(remember that!)), I took my 3yo cousin on space mountain. She LOVED it and it really made it quite enjoyable. I think it really depends on the kid… and the parent :slight_smile:

Now that you mention it, my sister was 3 or 4 the first time that I visited WDW and it was before the restrictions. My sister loved space mountain, my dad, not so much. He pulled a muscle holding her down because he just knew that she was going to fly out. I’m a couple of years older and loved it as well.

I really think you just have to play it by ear. My children’s ages vary (12, 6 & 3) & they like VERY different things. We don’t sweat it- just remember that in order for everyone to have fun, we grown-ups have to be flexible. Our youngest fell IN LOVE with all things Cinderella on our first trip (she was just over 2), so last when she wanted to sit in her stroller on Main St. for 2 hours just gazing at the Castle, we obliged (with of course a few shopping breaks!) I would stick with Fantasyland in MK & just remember how the magic of it all is what will really stand out & make the trip wonderful for kids & grown-ups alike!

The worst part of the ride then for me back then was eating my cousins hair. I wasn’t really worried about her falling out, but man did I get a lot of hair in my mouth. On a side note: My sister, who is just a little shorter than me used to bash me in the face when she rode in front of me… Man, those were the days!!! I know this is a bit off topic, but what the hey!!!:happy:

Ive been taking my DD since she was 2.5 and she is going to be 8 in Sept. We had to go slower but she loved it I would stay back while DD11 and DH would go on the bigger rides. Now I cant get DH and DD11 to go back with us.

My 4yo DD LOVED Soarin and Splash Mountain last year…

As the mom to 5 kids, I can honestly say, you are not nuts for taking a 3 yr old. :laugh:

We took an 8, 6, 3, 1 1/2 yr old in July 08. I made sure I had a list of what rides the 3 yr old could ride and then used that to go off of. She had a blast and is anxiously awaiting our trip in April 2010 when she’ll be tall enough for Thunder Mountain and any other big scary wild ride. She wants on Aerosmith’s Rockin’ Rollercoaster :blink: Doubt she’ll be tall enough, but hey, she’s got more guts than mommy. Btw…she’s going to be 5 and is already 43 inches, We’re aiming for 44 inches by April.

Your 3 yr old will have a blast! Oh, if you can get to Main Street Barbershop and get her hair streaked. They are so awesome, its great, and mine loved it. Beware though, too much sweat and it can run, it doesn’t stain cotton, and it washes out in 2 shampoo’s max. We also did face painting in Toontown and the kids went nuts too.

Man now I want to go remake the height list I had and “Jules Can Ride” list. :happy:

I started taking my oldest, who is now 6, when she was 18 months old. My youngest went earlier this year, for the first time, at 2 1/2. The oldest rides nearly everything and the little one rides all that she is big enough for.

From the beginning, we have always used the same game plan. We go to MK first to Fantasyland. We break them in with the tea cups, Dumbo…etc. Then we move to Toontown to Goofy’s Barnstomer. My oldest is always very skittish at first and this gets her comfortable with riding again. Then we move to Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and so on.

This breaks them in slowly and makes them want more and more.

Have a great time!

Glad to hear this! We were just discussing these 2 rides today and whether 4 yo DD would be able to ride them. She’s big for her age and typically pretty daring (unlike her older brothers), so hopefully all will go well!

That is similar to the route that I was thinking of taking. Also, DS always wants to “go fast” in the car, so I think that I may test him out on Speeway and other MK rides and if he likes them, then see how he feels about Test Track…I personally don’t care much for it, but I think it is something that he may like.

I agree with breaking him in on some tamer rides and working him up to the wilder ones. He will adjust quickly!

This thread brings back the only bad memory I have of WDW…my sister was 5 the first time we went to wdw (I was 8) and she wasn’t tall enough yet to ride the bigger rides and she was devastated! I remeber feeling so bad for her. I remember sitting in front of SM and crying. Sorry…that was slightly off topic. :smile:

We took our 5 year old and 8 year old for the first time in February '09 and the 5YO HATED Splash Mountain and Dinosaur. LOVED TOT, Pirates, and most everything else. He was too small to ride the RRC and is still pretty mad about it, but I can’t get him to even talk about riding Splash Mountain again when we go back. You just never can tell.