Big Thunder Mtn Railroad

I just read on Mousesavers newletter that BTMRR will be closed for refurb 1/9/12 - 5/27/12. Any idea why such a long refurb?

Oh No!!! Please say it isn’t true…

This is one of my kids’ favorite rides and if it’s true it’ll be down during our spring break…Not Good!!!

I found this link Big Changes Might Be Coming To Big Thunder Mountain | Da Mouse and another article which says they are replacing the track, refurbing the effects, and it sounds like adding some new effects as well.

-H

Bad timing for another long rehab with the available space for guests already compacted around Fantasyland. But if it has to be done, might as well do it right the first time. On our last visit I noticed lots of cracks in the stucco work and wood framing and supports that looked well worn.

Every couple years, Big Thunder has to go down for deep refurb.
Looks like this one will just be deeper than most.
The ride is over 30 years old and if we expect a silky smooth (or relatively smooth) ride, we just have to bite the bullet from time to time.

not the best timing for the refurb but if any of it pertains to possible safety reasons like replacing the track then get it done sooner than later

One of the main things that happens during a coaster’s deep refurb is the complete disassembly and reassembly of every train. In the case of BTMRR, that’s 5 trains all the way down to its nuts and bolts and any part that doesn’t measure up is replaced before the whole thing is put back together again.
In most parks, they have from November through mid March to do this, but in 365 day parks like the Florida parks and the Orange County Ca parks (DLR and Knott’s) they have to take rides out of service for extended periods to allow bi annual deep refurbs.

I did not think that it was that old. I was thinking that it was built in the late 80’s early 90’s… I remember when splash mountain was built, and that was in the late 80’s/early 90’s…hmmmm… off to google.

Either way, I am going to be there in March, and I am not happy about it. Ok, for everyone’s safety, it is necessary, but there will be a lot shut down while I am there.

Ok, it was built/opened in 1979… It has not been around that long/ I am not that old… It seems newer than that, or I do not seem that old… not sure which is true!

:laugh: Hey I resemble that remark! :ohmy:

he he he… It does not seem out of style at all… Does it? Think about the others that really look tired for years before it is fixed… I don’t remember it being that bad… and I ma not that old either :slight_smile:

Although this is one of our “must-do” rides - I have to say I’ve always hated the lap-bar restraint. My DD is very small & when she sits with DH or I it seems like she is barely held in since we share the same lap bar. Of course the fact that she insists on having her hands up in the air the whole time doesn’t help either :eek:. Maybe they’ll reconfigure the restraints this time around. It really have never seemed that safe to me. That being said, it will be weird to be at MK and not go on BTMRR on our next trip.:frown:

I really dislike having one lap bar restraint for an entire row.
If you’re the “girthiest” rider, then nobody else will be able to get the bar down to hold them and Lord forbid you’re in the car with a genuine wide load passenger and that lap bar doesn’t even come close to holding you and you’re going to be sliding all over the place.
This is a problem common to Spiderman over at Universal as well as several other mine train coasters.
Come to think of it, I seem to remember that ToT originally had one big lap bar instead of individual lap belts when it first opened.
It would be nice to have individual lap belts, but that would take a medium redesign/upgrade. It would also mean that you wouldn’t be able to get two kids and one adult or even one kid and two adults in the cars if you did. You’d be forced to limit it to two riders per row.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1097947]I really dislike having one lap bar restraint for an entire row.
If you’re the “girthiest” rider, then nobody else will be able to get the bar down to hold them and Lord forbid you’re in the car with a genuine wide load passenger and that lap bar doesn’t even come close to holding you and you’re going to be sliding all over the place.
This is a problem common to Spiderman over at Universal as well as several other mine train coasters.
Come to think of it, I seem to remember that ToT originally had one big lap bar instead of individual lap belts when it first opened.
It would be nice to have individual lap belts, but that would take a medium redesign/upgrade. It would also mean that you wouldn’t be able to get two kids and one adult or even one kid and two adults in the cars if you did. You’d be forced to limit it to two riders per row.[/QUOTE]

We like the one bar system. Pam uses it an excuse to sling shot into me around the turns. Gotta let the girl have some fun. But on the other hand…

Neither of us are plus size, but the one bar system was what made ToT for me. Watching poor Pam fly off her seat when the car went DOWN, DOWN, DOWN was OUTSTANDING to watch. And the screams were even beter. Now that there are belts she’s planted firmly in the seat. Takes some of my ToT fun away.:laugh:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1097951]We like the one bar system. Pam uses it an excuse to sling shot into me around the turns. Gotta let the girl have some fun. But on the other hand…

Neither of us are plus size, but the one bar system was what made ToT for me. Watching poor Pam fly off her seat when the car went DOWN, DOWN, DOWN was OUTSTANDING to watch. And the screams were even beter. Now that there are belts she’s planted firmly in the seat. Takes some of my ToT fun away.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I kind of enjoy the sliding around when the bar is set for my DH, too!

What would really suprise her is if I did not put the BTMRR bar all the way down. Slingshot revenge.:eek::eek::ohmy::ohmy:

I’ve got a comment, but every way I phrase it, it sounds wrong.
Something about being used to riding major coasters and their safety systems.
(No, I’m not trying to be funny. I’m at a loss for words.)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1097961]I’ve got a comment, but every way I phrase it, it sounds wrong.
Something about being used to riding major coasters and their safety systems.
(No, I’m not trying to be funny. I’m at a loss for words.)[/QUOTE]

I’m get where your thought process is. It’s just that one notch from locking me in place on the non-molded, flat plastic seats. We found it was safer to put the 3 kids together in one seat and Pam and me in another so they would all stay snug on BTMRR.

Of course, everyone needs to keep in mind that Big Thunder, as a mine train type coaster, is mostly an oversized family coaster and its top speeds are only around 30. It has lots of helix turns and short bunny hop hills rather than the big drops and face peeling inversions of the big boy coasters.
So aggressive restraints aren’t called for because it isn’t a flat out scream machine, and instead just a spirited ride that 5 year olds can ride and not be terrified.

And they do always recommend that children be kept in the middle of the cars while adults and teens should ride with children between them (for safety).

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1097991]Of course, everyone needs to keep in mind that Big Thunder, as a mine train type coaster, is mostly an oversized family coaster and its top speeds are only around 30. It has lots of helix turns and short bunny hop hills rather than the big drops and face peeling inversions of the big boy coasters.
So aggressive restraints aren’t called for because it isn’t a flat out scream machine, and instead just a spirited ride that 5 year olds can ride and not be terrified.

And they do always recommend that children be kept in the middle of the cars while adults and teens should ride with children between them (for safety).[/QUOTE]

Well, then I must be 4 1/2 yrs old. :laugh: That ride scares me. Of course I’ve never been on space mountain and those other big rides. Just call me Jo-Jo chicken. :blush: