Birthday lunch at/near MK

Our first full day in the parks will be my DH’s birthday. We are going to CRT for dinner that evening, but I didn’t think it was best to celebrate it there?? We will be going to Crystal Palace later in the week so that leaves two restaurants that I don’t think my DH will especially care about. We will be going back to OKW for breaks after lunch. What resorts would it be easy to get to without a ton of travel?? Thanks!!

All of the MK resorts are pretty easy to get to:Contemporary by monorail or by foot, Poly and Grand Floridian by boat or monorail, and Wilderness lodge by launch. I could recommend O’hana’s and Whispering Canyon as fun places and good values, Narcoosee’s if you want something more upscale.

Thanks PeterMac! We will be going to Whispering Canyon later in the week. I think he would like O’hana but from what I can tell they are not open for lunch?!? We will have a 3-yr-old with us, so nothing up-scale LOL!

Check out Kona Cafe in the Poly. They have a nice lunch menu.

Tonys is always nice if you like Italian and are already at MK for the day.

You could head back to OKW and have lunch at Olivia’s - eat outside on the waterfront. Olivia’s has such a nice, laid-back feeling and the food is very good. Or, you could take the ferry down to the Marketplace (too bad the speedboats from OKW have been replaced by the ferries. The speedboats were so comfortable and a lot of fun and you felt so “special” …I digress). Anyway, you could take the ferry to DTD and eat at Wolfgang Puck Cafe…or Rainforest Cafe…or you could rent a boat and take a nice leisurely boatride down to the Marketplace…

Taking another route…I don’t know how your dh would feel about this…but the Grand Floridian Tea - now don’t hyperventilate - the Tea is so lovely - and they do cater to men’s tastes too. My dh quite enjoyed it (and they do have other beverages than tea). And it’s never to early to teach children the pleasures of tea (they have an Alice In Wonderland menu for kids). It’s such a beautiful, quiet room with perfect service. Or the Grand Floridian Cafe is said to be good. He might enjoy the lobster burger.

You can never go wrong with the Kona Cafe.

We tried Tony’s in May for the first time- even after reading reviews that it was just ok. WE LOVED IT!!

All 5 of us loved our meals and it was a really nice lunch!

how about liberty tavern for lunch… the roast beef is so good as is the turkey… we did not care for the dinner menu but we are going back this trip again for lunch… and it is in the mk . it is also kid friendly.

Narcoossee’s and Chef Mickey’s are not open for lunch. Narcoossee’s opens nightly for dinner only at 5:00-5:30 PM, the same goes for California Grill. At the Contemporary, you’ll be stuck with The Wave as your only lunch option.
You could take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge for Whispering Canyon. They have all you can eat options as well as ala carte menus, and if you want to involve yourself in stupid shenanigans while eating, this place is for you. There’s the Grand Floridian Cafe and Poly’s Kona Cafe, but they offer no additional “fun” beyond good meals. And there’s also the Trail’s End at Fart Wilderness for lunch (sadly no longer offering their breakfast buffet) which is currently offering an ala carte menu instead of the buffet. Again, no added fun.
'Ohana at the Poly is only open for breakfast and dinner and characters are only there for breakfast. 'Ohana seems to be best enjoyed as part of a large group and is not in any way designed for intimate dining and I give major points off for being family service with a limited selection as opposed to a full ala carte menu like Kona Cafe or a bountiful buffet like CP. (Your mileage WILL be different)

I would not go to Tony’s for lunch but Liberty Tree would also be an inside MK option, though again, no added fun.

Of course, my first choice would be breakfast and/or lunch at CP, or breakfast and/or dinner (yes, I could eat there twice in one week and possibly even have breakfast there twice during the week). But the dinner menu is the lunch menu with some added items, if you did lunch and dinner, it would really be the same meal twice.
Anyway, I’ve specifically scheduled CP’s breakfast for several anniversaries and had lunch there on my birthday as well.

Grand Floridian Cafe. Hop the monorail to the GF. It is a really relaxed location with a great menu for any meal time. Wide variety so everyone shold find something they will enjoy. Many times we just walk up for lunch and the longest we ever had to wait was 25 minutes. ADR’s can be booked. And they do accept 3 y/o kiddies. :laugh:

Thanks everyone for all of the help! I’ll have to think about all of the options - I hate to make a lunch ADR really - I don’t want the stress of having to be somewhere at a certain time any more than I have to. I do want my DH to have a special day, so I’ll deal LOL! I did check a few places to see if I could even get an ADR, there were several available. I am afraid if free dining is announced for our dates (as rumored) then those may disappear. Thanks again, I could not plan without all of you sharing your knowledge =)

CRT does a nice celebration for B-days, (we did it at breakfast) they put streamers and confetti on the table and gave my DH a card with the princesses autographs and they brought over a cupcake at the end of his meal. It was very cute.

Ooops! You’re right. The others have made some excellent alternative suggestions. i have eaten at Tony’s, and the food is not great, but decent, and the location is great. I will be having lunch at liberty tree Tavern for the first time in October. Kona cafe is a good alternative at Poly.

If your not wanting a ressie I would do the upstairs at Columbia Harbor House. Make sure he gets his button!

I want to have a Mickey head cake delivered, so I think I have to have a TS.

Disneyonmymind, Did you have any little girls with you? I don’t want to take away from my DGD’s princess experience :blush: If I had thought this through before I made my ADRs :blink: :blink: I would have planned CRT on another day.

Llama, We are eating dinner at Olivia’s the evening before, otherwise that would be my choice!

My picky eating DH is the problem! :laugh: :laugh:

If he is a picky eater, but you want somewhere nice and easy, I would definitely go with Kona Cafe. The food is very good, the atmosphere friendly and relaxed, it’s easy to get to, easy to get an ADR and the Poly is such beautiful resort.

That’s what I was going to suggest. Quick monorail ride from the MK. Interesting menu.

[QUOTE=FairyGranmama;1085427]I want to have a Mickey head cake delivered, so I think I have to have a TS.

Disneyonmymind, Did you have any little girls with you? I don’t want to take away from my DGD’s princess experience :blush: If I had thought this through before I made my ADRs :blink: :blink: I would have planned CRT on another day.

We celebrated my DH 60th b-day with the whole family. My DH grandaughters were with us. On the actual day of his b-day (the girls were ages 5 and 1), we got up early and had the older grandaughter do the Bippity Boppity Boo Parlor and the younger one dressed as Cinderella, it was very cute. We told the older one she was getting dressed up special because it was Pop Pop’s b-day. Everyone at the table was treated special. For the week we were there every ADR I made had a note that it was DH b-day, (we had ADR’s for 2 meals a day) so there was a new surprise at each meal. The older DGD loved hit. She helped her Pop Pop eat and blow out the candles on all cupcakes. Disney really made everything very special for DH.

You’re 62 days out. It really is time for you to start finalizing your reservations.
Especially as you’re at the tail end of free dining as it is.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1085472]You’re 62 days out. It really is time for you to start finalizing your reservations.
Especially as you’re at the tail end of free dining as it is.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know! I made all our dinner reservations at 6 months. Then I decided that HDDR & CRT were already paid for (I hadn’t purchased the DP when I made ADRs) so I would use the extra 2 for a character breakfast and DH’s b-day lunch. I just need to decide and make them!!