Bon Festival in Japanese Pavilion?

Just wondering – does anyone know if the Japanese pavilion at Epcot is celebrating the Bon Festival at all this year? Or how to find out…

The Morikami Gardens in Delray Beach (3 or 4 hours away) did it today but alas, it was not only far away but most importantly, a lot of it was going to be on the grass, and thus not accessible for Cubby’s motorized wheelchair.

David
may just have to sadly assemble an array of anime episodes which take place during the festival or something, otherwise, but that sounds kind of pitiful and not much of a celebration per se

[QUOTE=chastmastr;864418]Just wondering – does anyone know if the Japanese pavilion at Epcot is celebrating the Bon Festival at all this year? Or how to find out…

The Morikami Gardens in Delray Beach (3 or 4 hours away) did it today but alas, it was not only far away but most importantly, a lot of it was going to be on the grass, and thus not accessible for Cubby’s motorized wheelchair.

David
may just have to sadly assemble an array of anime episodes which take place during the festival or something, otherwise, but that sounds kind of pitiful and not much of a celebration per se[/QUOTE]

David, I do not believe EPCOT does anything for a Bon Festival but I used to go to the one at Morikami every year when I lived in West Palm. They have an amazing Japanese culture museum there and during the festival you can get fresh Mochi ice cream, all sorts of Japanese food from the booths, traditional folk dance & performance is features, and of course the Toro Nagashi (floating paper lanterns) that are set out onto the lake there.

Instead of watching Anime why don’t you & Cubby make your own Toro Nagashi, bring it to a local lake and let it float in honor of any loved ones who may have passed & your ansectors. Or if you want to really participate you can line your driveway with those ‘party bags’ they sell made for tealight candles, making a quazi mukaebi. This is said to guide your ansector’s spirits back home. And maybe you can have a Japanese meal.

Hmmm, maybe you’ve inspired me! :closedeye

I found this link that tells you how to make your own Toro Nagashi:

How to make your own homemade floating paper lanterns

I also googled a store called “Din-Ho” in Tampa, it says it’s on Armenia between Waters and Busch behind the Winn Dixie. Even though the NAME sounds Chinese supposedly they stock a lot of Japanese, Korean, Veitnamese, etc… items.

Or, try the Oceanic Market, this one seems big:
Oceanic Supermarket of Tampa, Florida: One Stop Shop for your Asian food gifts and furniture needs

Our annual Obon festival consists of Taiko drummers, minyo dancers, and good food. We also have a Temple talk to explain beliefs. The second day consists of a Temple service and a trip to the local cemeteries. Since Epcot doesn’t have a Temple I imagine they don’t have the actual festival. The Taiko drummers are amazing though and that is the primary entertainment at our Obon. My ds12 plays the Taiko drums and my dd10 dances minyo and they were both intrigued by the Taiko players at Epcot.

Hmmm! Those could be very good ideas… :happy: Thank you! :wub: