Book room only...right?

good grief…i have gone back and read every thread i have started…and still cannot find the answer to this simple question.

i should go ahead and book room only now…right?
change it to AP dining pkg. later when discounts come out…right?

i have confused myself??:confused:

Yes.

Reserve what room you want, where you want, if you have a certain resort or room view. You can adjust the price later if/when discounts come out.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1037819]Yes.

Reserve what room you want, where you want, if you have a certain resort or room view. You can adjust the price later if/when discounts come out.[/QUOTE]

thank you…i thought i had that right…just wanted to get reassurance from someone else.
:blush:

Yep! If you add on dining you have to put down a bigger deposit. Room only and you pay just one night.

[QUOTE=chottsy;1037815]good grief…i have gone back and read every thread i have started…and still cannot find the answer to this simple question.

i have confused myself??:confused:[/QUOTE]

There’s one question that will determine the CORRECT answer to your question. My question is … will you go on the trip and stay in that exact room even if you DON’T get a good discount?

If the answer is YES, I’m definitely taking the trip no matter what, then YES, go ahead and make that room-only reservation … you don’t want to wait until that room is sold out for your dates.

If the answer is NO, I’m not taking the trip unless I snag a great discount, then NO, don’t make that room-only reservation.

It gets complicated …

The fact is, if a discount/promotion is announced, having a pre-existing reservation does NOTHING to help you get that room at that discount.

When discounts come out, it’s not as simple as the Disney reservationist applying that discount code to your reservation. They may make it SEEM that simple (which means they’re very good at giving good customer service :laugh:), but in reality there is MUCH going on behind the scenes.

Discounts are not across-the-board, one-size-fits-all things. Disney offers discounts when rooms aren’t selling well enough. For each room category in each resort, Disney has a targeted occupancy rate for that promo. I don’t know what that percentage is … no one does … but Disney knows what it is. They figure that if a room category is already selling well enough at the regular price, they have no need to offer a discount to sell more of the rooms.

Think about it this way. Let’s say you own a fruit stand. You sell green apples and red apples. The red apples are selling very well, but the green apples aren’t selling well, and they may rot before you get the chance to sell them. So you lower the price of the green apples, or you offer a free peach with every pound of green apples, or whatever. You don’t offer the same discount or promo with the red apples, because they’re already selling very well.

Good, so now you understand why ALL rooms aren’t always part of the discount or promo.

When you call Disney reservations to see if you can get your already reserved room with the discount, the reservationist queries the system as if it’s a brand new reservation. The system looks at your room category, resort, and dates … if the current occupancy rate for that room/resort/date is already above their set target figure, then that room will NOT be available at the promo price. Therefore, whether or not you have a pre-existing reservation does NOTHING to help you get that good price.

OK, so now let’s say there have been some cancellations, and the occupancy rate for that room/resort/date has dipped below the target occupancy rate, just low enough that if even ONE more room in that category/resort/date is sold, then the promo will be off again.

So then, let’s say I call 407-W-DISNEY because I heard there’s a good promo going on. I don’t have a reservation, I’m just looking for a good deal. I want to stay in that same room category and resort on the same dates as you. I get the promo price! Yippee for me! But since I booked that room, the occupancy rate for that room/reswort/date has now tipped back over above the target occupancy rate, and once again the promo is not available.

And then two minutes later YOU call up to try to “apply” the promo code to your existing reservation. You’ll be told it can’t be applied, that it’s not available for that room/resort/date.

I know this all sounds complicated, but this IS how it works. If the target occupancy rate is already exceeded, they can’t just “apply” the discount to your reservation.

I hope you can now see how having a pre-existing reservation does NOTHING to help you get a discount later on.

And thus, I hope you can now have a better understanding of my opening advice … if you will take the trip no matter what then go ahead and book that room, but if you will only go if you can get a good discount then wait because having that pre-existing non-discounted reservation doesn’t hold a place for you.

To put it in many fewer words, you can’t “squat” on a room hoping to get a later discount, it just doesn’t work that way.

And the funny thing is that if EVERYONE booked a room way in advance hoping to get a discount later, all of the resorts would be sold out and then the DIsney executives would be high-fiving in the boardroom, congratulating each other that they can keep the room rates nice and high because all the rooms are sold out. In other words, too many advance bookings made only in order to “squat” for discounts would have the paradoxical effect of PREVENTING discounts from being announced.

[QUOTE=chottsy;1037815]good grief…i have gone back and read every thread i have started…and still cannot find the answer to this simple question.

i have confused myself??:confused:[/QUOTE]

YUP! you are correct! PROCEED!!

thanks for responding…sometimes i wonder…what’s up w/my brain:confused:

so after an afternoon of messing around with online dining ressies…i got the resort ressie done & ADRs are done as well!
didn’t get Garden Grill or LeCellier…but all got the others!

Yes, book room only and wait. I would book a resort you want to stay at though, not just any resort.

yep! i booked POFQ …our “disney home”:wub:

Cleve,
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I have reserved a room only at the resort I wanted w/ the view I wanted and applied the discounts that came out at a later date many times over. So have many other MB’rs.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1037883]Cleve,
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I have reserved a room only at the resort I wanted w/ the view I wanted and applied the discounts that came out at a later date many times over. So have many other MB’rs.[/QUOTE]

You’re not bursting any bubble. Your experiences do not contradict what I said. I didn’t write that it can’t possibly be done. I said that a pre-existing reservation doesn’t guarantee that you’ll get the discount.

I hope you can fathom that. There is nothing about your experience that contadicts what I said.

I’m just trying to help. Please don’t twist what I said into something I never said.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1037851]
To put it in many fewer words, you can’t “squat” on a room hoping to get a later discount, it just doesn’t work that way.[/QUOTE]

What you say is TRUE, I’ve had a CM not book a room for me when I told them my intentions - BUT, lots still do it. Most MB’rs do it and KEEP the room. You still have to make a one night deposit and Disney would make their policies stricter if they were concerned. Final payment due 90 days out with full refund within 7 days. I was once told by a CM they fill the rooms as guests check in, so you are not really squatting, but lending Disney your money until you make a decision! :laugh::laugh:

A matter of fact I do it EVERY Christmas week!

June 1st I book my nights at the resort I want, I then pay it off monthly via the Disney website - as soon as a promotion comes out, I call and apply it to my room. Last year, the promotion was so good for a Savannah view bunk bed room at AKL that instead of getting money back I just tacked on a night.

Yes I know all the promotion say “hurry, only a small block of rooms are available at this rate”, but I’ve never had a problem having them adjust the rate - this will be my 4th year doing it this way, and the Disney site allows me to make payments, and the CMs allow me to apply the discounts when they come out. So, IMHO I don’t think Disney has a problem with this?

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1037886]What you say is TRUE, I’ve had a CM not book a room for me when I told them my intentions - BUT, lots still do it. Most MB’rs do it and KEEP the room. You still have to make a one night deposit and Disney would make their policies stricter if they were concerned. Final payment due 90 days out with full refund within 7 days. I was once told by a CM they fill the rooms as guests check in, so you are not really squatting, but lending Disney your money until you make a decision! :laugh::laugh:

A matter of fact I do it EVERY Christmas week!

June 1st I book my nights at the resort I want, I then pay it off monthly via the Disney website - as soon as a promotion comes out, I call and apply it to my room. Last year, the promotion was so good for a Savannah view bunk bed room at AKL that instead of getting money back I just tacked on a night.

Yes I know all the promotion say “hurry, only a small block of rooms are available at this rate”, but I’ve never had a problem having them adjust the rate - this will be my 4th year doing it this way, and the Disney site allows me to make payments, and the CMs allow me to apply the discounts when they come out. So, IMHO I don’t think Disney has a problem with this?[/QUOTE]Just because it has never happened to you doesn’t mean it never happens. Disney is in control of whatever target occupancy rate they want. They could set it at 99% occupancy, meaning they’ll offer the discount for virtually every room.

I’m just trying to spread the word about Disney’s actual policies.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1037890]Just because it has never happened to you doesn’t mean it never happens. Disney is in control of whatever target occupancy rate they want. They could set it at 99% occupancy, meaning they’ll offer the discount for virtually every room.

I’m just trying to spread the word about Disney’s actual policies.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate that! Like I said you are right, it is going against policy. But so far, so good for me :blush: I’m sure when the economy booms again and the discount are few and far between things will change. But for now, this way make Disney “affordable” for me. :happy:

It seems my facts are in doubt. It seems there are folks who don’t care about facts, only about personal experiences (which don’t contradict those facts).

So maybe if I give you a personal experience that I’ve had and that I’m sure many of you have had, you’ll understand how this works.

I had a reservation at Port Orleans French Quarter. Then a good discount was announced. I called up, but was told there were no rooms at POFQ that were eligible for that code … even though I already had a reservation there. I was told, however, that I could book a room at Port Orleans Riverside using that code, saving about $500 in the process.

I was sad to give up POFQ for POR. But I also thought it’d be silly to spend $500 more (rack rate) for a room in POFQ than for a room in POR, so I rolled with it.

But I called back every day, sometimes two and three times a day, and about a week later … BOOM!!! … the code was available for a standard room at POFQ, so I moved my reservation back there.

Same thing happened to my parents in 2005 with Caribbean Beach Resort. They booked a preferred location room, to minimize their walking. I learned of a code and told them. My mother tried to apply it, but was told it wasn’t available with the preferred location rooms, only with the standard rooms. Since the preferred location was so important to her, she decided to keep the non-discounted preferred location room rather than pay MUCH less for a standard room.

These are examples of what I’m talking about. I’m sure many of you have had a similar experience, trying to apply a code to a certain room or resort but being told you can’t have exactly what you already reserved but you can get something close.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1037886]What you say is TRUE, I’ve had a CM not book a room for me when I told them my intentions - BUT, lots still do it. Most MB’rs do it and KEEP the room. You still have to make a one night deposit and Disney would make their policies stricter if they were concerned. Final payment due 90 days out with full refund within 7 days. I was once told by a CM they fill the rooms as guests check in, so you are not really squatting, but lending Disney your money until you make a decision! :laugh::laugh:
[/QUOTE]
But that’s not what I meant. I’m not talking about skirting a rule. I’m not talking about trying to break a Disney policy. I’m not talking about telling someone I’m trying to squat on a room. I’m not even talking about TRYING to do it that way.

I’m just talking about making a reservation, hearing about a discount and trying to have that discount applied. It has nothing to do with one’s intentions … at least that’s not AT ALL what I was talking about.

And by the way, final payments for packages are due no later than 45 days before the trip, not 90 days.:ohmy: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1037899]But that’s not what I meant. I’m not talking about skirting a rule. I’m not talking about trying to break a Disney policy. I’m not talking about telling someone I’m trying to squat on a room. I’m not even talking about TRYING to do it that way.

I’m just talking about making a reservation, hearing about a discount and trying to have that discount applied. It has nothing to do with one’s intentions … at least that’s not AT ALL what I was talking about.

And by the way, final payments for packages are due no later than 45 days before the trip, not 90 days.[/QUOTE]

Right again! :happy:

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1037897]It seems my facts are in doubt. It seems there are folks who don’t care about facts, only about personal experiences (which don’t contradict those facts).

So maybe if I give you a personal experience that I’ve had and that I’m sure many of you have had, you’ll understand how this works.

I had a reservation at Port Orleans French Quarter. Then a good discount was announced. I called up, but was told there were no rooms at POFQ that were eligible for that code … even though I already had a reservation there. I was told, however, that I could book a room at Port Orleans Riverside using that code, saving about $500 in the process.

I was sad to give up POFQ for POR. But I also thought it’d be silly to spend $500 more (rack rate) for a room in POFQ than for a room in POR, so I rolled with it.

But I called back every day, sometimes two and three times a day, and about a week later … BOOM!!! … the code was available for a standard room at POFQ, so I moved my reservation back there.

Same thing happened to my parents in 2005 with Caribbean Beach Resort. They booked a preferred location room, to minimize their walking. I learned of a code and told them. My mother tried to apply it, but was told it wasn’t available with the preferred location rooms, only with the standard rooms. Since the preferred location was so important to her, she decided to keep the non-discounted preferred location room rather than pay MUCH less for a standard room.

These are examples of what I’m talking about. I’m sure many of you have had a similar experience, trying to apply a code to a certain room or resort but being told you can’t have exactly what you already reserved but you can get something close.[/QUOTE]

I see the confusion! You are taking codes, I’m talking Passholder & Florida resident rates - we don’t have codes.

Few years back, I could call on a whim - say “where can I get a PH rate” and they’d hook me up to a room (values $49/night) that doesn’t happen anymore with all the “deals” they are running.

When I know I am going at a busy time, I book in advance, and then when the PH or FL res rate comes out I call and have them adjust the rate. I think it’s a different policy - I don’t know - again just speaking from experience.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1037905]I see the confusion! You are taking codes, I’m talking Passholder & Florida resident rates - we don’t have codes.

Few years back, I could call on a whim - say “where can I get a PH rate” and they’d hook me up to a room (values $49/night) that doesn’t happen anymore with all the “deals” they are running.

When I know I am going at a busy time, I book in advance, and then when the PH or FL res rate comes out I call and have them adjust the rate. I think it’s a different policy - I don’t know - again just speaking from experience.[/QUOTE]

Aaaahhhh yes … that WOULD be two different systems. Excellent!:laugh:

I’m glad we cleared that up . . . friends? :happy: