Booked a Disney Cruise for our 25th Anniversary - First Timers at cruising-lots of ?s

Hi All,

First off, like the changes on the website!!! Obviously has been a while since I’ve been on the site:ohmy:

We have finally taken the “plunge” and booked a Disney Cruise (7 night Western Caribbean)in October 2014 for our 25th wedding anniversary. We have never cruised before so we are not only nervous about being sick the entire time but we also do not know what to expect. With WDW, we are experts! I have read the Birnbaum’s book and am starting the Passporter. Boy there is a lot. A co-worker took the same exact cruise and let me borrow the Personal Navigator and the excursions offered to check out. I still have so many questions, I just don’t know where to start.

1. I read that the ship only accepts credit cards. So I am guessing we cannot pay for everything in cash as we were planning on doing?
  2. Should we convert cash prior to sailing for the islands or do they take US dollars?
  3. Unfortunately we got the later seating for dinner. Is it hard to get an earlier seating? I am hoping to keep calling and checking. Hubby has reflux and cannot eat late.
  4. Are you better off booking your excursions through the cruise line or have you booked it on your own?
  5. Do you fly in the day of departure or do you fly in the night before?
  6. If we fly in the night before, does the cruise line offer shuttle to hotel?
  7. Is it worth using the laundry facilities or just over pack to avoid having to do laundry?

Ok, that is all I can think of right now. I am sure I will have more. Thank you again for answering my questions and helping me. You guys have always been the best advisors for Disney which is why I come to you:mickey:

[quote=hiner;1140557]hi all,

first off, like the changes on the website!!! Obviously has been a while since i’ve been on the site:ohmy:

We have finally taken the “plunge” and booked a disney cruise (7 night western caribbean)in october 2014 for our 25th wedding anniversary. We have never cruised before so we are not only nervous about being sick the entire time but we also do not know what to expect. With wdw, we are experts! I have read the birnbaum’s book and am starting the passporter. Boy there is a lot. A co-worker took the same exact cruise and let me borrow the personal navigator and the excursions offered to check out. I still have so many questions, i just don’t know where to start.

1. I read that the ship only accepts credit cards. So i am guessing we cannot pay for everything in cash as we were planning on doing?i believe you have to hold with a credit card but then settle your balance at the end with cash…not 100% on that!!
  2. Should we convert cash prior to sailing for the islands or do they take us dollars?no need to convert, i have never been to an island that does not take us cash or credit cards!
  3. Unfortunately we got the later seating for dinner. Is it hard to get an earlier seating? I am hoping to keep calling and checking. Hubby has reflux and cannot eat late. Not sure on that one…we like late so we do not have to hurry from excusrions to get ready for dinner!
  4. Are you better off booking your excursions through the cruise line or have you booked it on your own?i have never booked through anyone but the cruise line, i am always a little leary if the place is not recommended by the cruise lines!
  5. Do you fly in the day of departure or do you fly in the night before?we flew in the night before as it is less stressful. There are less worries that your flight will be delayed and jeopardize getting to the ship!!
  6. If we fly in the night before, does the cruise line offer shuttle to hotel?when we flew into houston, the hotel had a shuttle from the airport to hotel. I think most hotels near major airports have free shuttles to their hotel!
  7. Is it worth using the laundry facilities or just over pack to avoid having to do laundry?i’ve done both!! When flying we usually use the laundry to avoid lugging as much stuff!!

Ok, that is all i can think of right now. I am sure i will have more. Thank you again for answering my questions and helping me. You guys have always been the best advisors for disney which is why i come to you:mickey:[/quote]

have a great time, cruises are the best!!

It’s hard to tell but my responses are in the body of your post!!!

You can book excursions on the pier when you arrive and it generally a few $ cheaper. Often the same tour operator. A WORD OF CAUTION…DON’T BE LATE GETTING BACK IF YOU DO. A ship book excursion that’s late they will wait for. Not the case if you book on your own. More of a concern on all day excursions than morning or early afternoon.

US Dollars are gladly accepted generally 1:1. I like to get change in local currency (yeah they look at ya funny) but it’s usually a colorful keepsake.

Night before vs day of…personal preference. I’ve done both and I really like the extra night but if there are plenty of flight options I’ll take an early flight knowing that there are other options to still get there before departure.

You want to get on the ship a soon as possible the departure day. Gives you time to wander around and get a feel of where everything is.

Feel free to ask all the questions you have.

Oh, yeah. Leaving out of Port Canaveral I recommend Quicksilver - assuming you are flying into MCO. Really not much more than DCL bus and a lot less hassle.

Thank you both for the advice!

When you fly in the night before, do you stay at a hotel near the port? I read that a few have shuttles to the port.

I want to get on board early to check things out & have lunch before the safety drill & party!

I was wondering about Quick Silver. Thanx on that one.

Another question…can you use ME one way only?

Most people take the DCL transfer. DCL transfer is ship to airport or WDW resort - your choice based on extra day before or after. Many of the hotels in Port Canaveral have shuttles from the hotel to the ship but not WDW resorts or airport.

Problem with DCL transfer and shuttles to me is that there are up to 4,000 people getting off the ship at nearly the same time.

Yes, you can book ME one way.

I book my cruise in Oct 2014 on the Disney cruise line’s website but transferred it so same 4 night over to Costco travel, why because Disney had very little cash back incentives or on board creditsbut Costco had a 190.00 Costco cash card same cruise better deal… your cruise if it is balcony the Costco card would be somewhere 235.00 _____595.00. So it seems like a no brainer

We stay at the Hyatt at the airport very nice and surprisingly quiet

We stay at the Hyatt regency at the airport ,veryvery nice and very convenient

I’m leaving on my third Disney Cruise tomorrow … I can help you with any questions you may have :slight_smile:

1. On the ship the ONLY form of payment is the “key to the world” but you can settle your acct or even put cash into it at the front desk. The first and last day this area is VERY busy … there are CMs there all night … I found later at night or early in the am was the easiest time to walk right up to the desk and pay. They even take Disney gift cards as payment! :slight_smile:

2. Which ports are you going too? All the ones we visited love American money … but be careful … most things you can buy are available on the ship … and the hair braiding and such for the kids is even cheaper :slight_smile: Also they hold a shopping forum on the ship prior to docking … go to it. You can win prizes and stuff and they give you coupons and maps of the “Disney Preferred” stores … which basically means Disney keeps and eye on them, so if you buy something that has an issue later you can contact Disney and they will resolve it.

3. Ask your TA to make the change … or once you are on the boat, go right to the desk and explain the situation … I’m sure you can get it changed.

4. I’ve always book through the cruise line … it may be a little more $$$ but these ports are a bit sketchy (in my opinion) and I had friend that were on the ruins tour and the bus broke down … they held the boat for them because it was a Disney excursion … they wouldn’t have if it wasn’t. (they held us up for 1.5 hours)

5. I would fly the night before … unless you book your air through Disney which is more $$$ … they won’t hold the boat if your airline is late.

6. all the hotels around the port offer free park and ride shuttles to the port … I’ve heard it’s better to rent a car, so you can go to walmart, etc and get your beer/wine/liquor and water etc … then turn in the car near the port. Disney allows you to bring unopened bottle on board … each Adult is allowed a carry on full (no coolers) and you can’t take it off … only on, so only take what you are going to drink :slight_smile:

7. The laundry facilities I heard are great … and again … key to the magic card operates them … no change needed!

Thanks Jen. You had loads of info that I haven’t read about yet. I finished the Birnbaum’s guide, some good info, but finding the Passporter has loads of info. I keep writing down notes or tagging pages.

I checked out the excursions and have a bunch in my favorites on the DCL website. Just have to narrow down which one for which port.

Our itinerary is Pt. Canaveral, at sea, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica, at sea, Castaway Cay then back to Pt. Canaveral.

We are so excited but also nervous at the same time!!!

We booked the cruise in October. Do you think I can cancel and rebook through Costco in the hopes of getting the same room and remain on the wait list for the earlier seating??

if you haven’t paid in full ,just call Costco and they will walk you thru the process to have it swapped…sorry but since the site change I don’t get e-mails from mousebuzz as often when the posts I am commenting on responds…once again this should be easy…I filled out the form by way of internet and it was easy and fast