Booked for Sept.2011 - question about insurance

We booked our trip for September 13-20 2011 and Free Disney Dining!

Here is a question though. The guy was rattling off something about insurance and I said fine and he said something about 14 days to cancel. Then I checked the invoice he emailed me and it costs $133. I am wondering if this is really helpful or if it just causes more problems in the long run. Disney refunds my deposit if I cancel within 45 days anyway. Do I need this insurance? Have any of you ever purchased this? I’m seriously thinking I should cancel this. Opinions?

Thanks!

I never buy the insurance. The main reason is because I live in Florida and I’m close to home even when I’m on vacation there. From what I understand, the insurance covers more than just the tickets, etc. if things don’t work out for whatever reason. I’ve read that it covers DR visits if your children get sick while you’re there. I’m not sure if that’s TRUE, I just read it on Disboards. You could do a google search about whether or not you should take it and read stories about the pros and cons either way.

Off topic, I’m booked for Sept 2011, too!

If it guarantees a refund of all funds no matter what emergency comes up, including job loss in this economy, it can be worth it. It only takes one unforseen injury or illness to cause a change in plans or priorities. And at this point is basically averages out to $10.00 a month. Gut check for ya.

BTW- is this earlier than you previously planned from your TR?

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1050959]If it guarantees a refund of all funds no matter what emergency comes up, including job loss in this economy, it can be worth it. It only takes one unforseen injury or illness to cause a change in plans or priorities. And at this point is basically averages out to $10.00 a month. Gut check for ya.

BTW- is this earlier than you previously planned from your TR?[/QUOTE]

It is earlier. We priced it out and realized how much we will save staying at a moderate resort during free dining and it worked out better to go sooner. The kids know that there is a chance we will have to postpone if something goes haywire with DH’s job or if something unforeseen comes up. However, they have hunkered down again for another year of saving :happy:

You should NOT take the insurance when you book the trip. It is not refundable. The whole $200 is refundable if you cancel 45 days before your trip (but not the insurance). You can change anything about your reservation up to the 45 days before also, so when you make your final payment, add the insurance. I always take it because for little over $100 if you could not make your trip that would be alot of money to be out too. Also my luggage was torn one time. ME had it delivered to my room and we discovered, so Disney didn’t know if airline/airport/or ME did it. But we had the insurance so no questions were asked, they had it repaired.

EXCELLENT tip!! Thanks!

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will take this advise!

I always take insurance out when I book a trip. I worked for a time in travel and it’s heartbreaking when someone has to cancel a trip a day or two before leaving and they get nothing back because they declined the insurance.

But will we lose the insurance if we change our plans at all with Disney? Or does it transfer to the new dates. This is what I am concerned about. We will be postponing our trip if my husband’s bonus doesn’t come through in March. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a better idea to cancel the insurance now and then add it at the 45-day mark, as suggested above?

I think that’s the smartest way to do it.

I think travel insurance is a must, as you never know what might happen. However, I always have a shop around and get a cheaper quote that the one Disney offers. I think theirs is quite expensive.

That is good to know, Dixie. I didn’t even know that shopping around was an option. Thanks!

You’re welcome:heart: I dont know if you have those comparison sites in the USA, but we have ones like ‘Comparethemarket.com’ and you type in the type of insurance cover you require for your trip, medical, cancellation, flight delay, baggage loss, etc, and it searches all the insurers for the best quote and cover.