Boys need a character meal

Hey all! Dh and I are forever planning that next trip, and we always plan a character meal or two for our girls. Now that we have a little boy in tow, we were thinking of what they offer for him. From what we can see, not that much if it isn’t the “fab 5” characters. Luckily for us, he is in love with Mickey right now, so October’s trip will be wonderful, but it is too bad that they don’t have a boys theme for character meals. Maybe something like a buzz lightyear, Toy story theme, a Monsters Inc theme, or even a pirate theme so the boys can get some time.

Is there anything like this that I am missing? Are any of the powers that be reading? Can something be created? I can only imagine there would be such a following!

This a topic that pops up from time to time and I really agree with you! I wish they would do something a little more “boy friendly”. I think the classic characters are great but there are totally more “girl” centered ones. I’d love to see a Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Wall E or any combination of Pixar films themed character meals. I’d go! And I’m a girl!

That would be a great idea. Im surprised Disney doesn’t do it.

Boy o’ boy is this needed!! My son is a bit too old to want to be cuddled by Pooh! And, he still appreciates Mickey. But, he would think it is way cool to be joined by Buzz Lightyear or Jack Sparrow while having lunch or dinner.

Like bella said, this subject does come up about once a year. There have been online petitions and all that jazz. Apparently Disney does not get it. Which is strange since they do all this “guestology” as they call it.
Oh, and I wanted to say as a mother of two boys (now too old for such foolishness), I would have loved a boys character meal :pirate:

Disney does seem to cater a little more towards girls, especially with the addition of BBB. It’s understandable, though - girls are a great target because they see other girls and they have to have what she has. Boys don’t seem to be as peer-influenced (though they are). And… girls are more willing to do “boy” things than boys are to do “girl” things.

Yeah… the fab five is about as good as you’re going to get. Donald’s Breakfast Safari seems a bit more “masculine” imo, all outdoorsy-themed. Mickey’s Backyard BBQ (not character dining, but dinner show with characters) is also for the nature-loving, adventurous type. And not character dining, but T-Rex Cafe would be a great option for dining with boys.

Pirate dining would be the coolest. It would be really cute if they added it to Cap’n Jack’s, but I think a park or resort location might be better. Adventureland or the Poly would be perfect. And I totally see them adding some sort of Pixar dining in the near future - likely when the economy picks up. They’ve been doing a lot with their Pixar connection, lately.

As much as my family loves the fab 5 and Chef Mickey’s I agree with you. My 10 year old would love a boy themed character meal. Disney has been missing the boat on this for too long.

The only thing I can think of is Ohanas for breakfast with stitch. I WISH WISH WISH they would do a toy story theme. I :heart: TS

I was pretty sure that there must have been a forum thread about this before, but since I never had any boys I probably did not read it! Anyways, more needs to be done to get this rolling, Pooh will not cut it.

I agree, a boy theme is definately needed. We’ve done all the fab 5 type meals and our DS6 has been extremely patient (and happy) to attend all the princess meals, but Disney has definately missed the boat on an older boy theme meal. A pirate dining feature or a TS meal would be a top seller, I’m sure!!

I’ll echo what everyone else has said- I wish there was something for boys. My DS who is almost 8 would just die to have a Jack Sparrow/pirates theme meal! I giggle everytime I think of this, when we went in Aug 2007 he was one of the kids selected to do the pirate tutorial and at the end he got a certificate stating he is an apprentice pirate and to this day it is still hanging on his wall and he really believes he was recruited by Jack Sparrow to become an apprentice pirate! So, yeah, I wish they would have something like this for boys.

A couple years ago, Hollywood and Vine was getting ready to roll out a Pixar/Monsters character meal.
At the last minute, they pulled the plug on the whole thing and switched to Playhouse Disney, denying older boys a character meal.
I think the whole thing stinks, I was looking forward to the Monsters.

I don’t even have children and I TOTALLY agree. The character dining options are definately in need of some help, then they went & took away Liberty Tree Characters! It stinks!

Are there still some Lion King characters at that meal in the Garden Grove at the Swan? We were going to do that one year & cancelled the ADR.

Hmm! I don’t know, I can’t remember hearing about the Swan’s Character Dining. These are great suggestions. Soundgod, they pulled it last minute?.. that is terrible. Although the kids love the Playhouse Disney addition, the Monsters would have been great!! The laugh Floor is fun, but they need to do more!!! Stitch in the Ohana breakfast was cute, but more, more, more. Funny thing is, most boy themes, teh girls can get into as well, like pirates, or even toy story, but vice versa, not all boys are into the princesses. They could even do a “Prince” meal. Eric, Prince Charming, The beast, etc… “The Disney Guys!!!”

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;953035]I don’t even have children and I TOTALLY agree. The character dining options are definately in need of some help, then they went & took away Liberty Tree Characters! It stinks!

Are there still some Lion King characters at that meal in the Garden Grove at the Swan? We were going to do that one year & cancelled the ADR.[/QUOTE]

They used to do the Lion King characters on Tuesdays and Thursday’s, I believe, but if I recall correctly, they’ve recently switched to only “fab 5” characters. And based on Unofficial Guide’s characters:guests ratio table, the Garden Grove was the absolute worst with 1:198.

Ohana has a Stitch and Lilo character breakfast which is great! I went their for my birthday and loved it… it’s not a girl themed, it’s not a boy themed its in the middle :). For more info visit: Ohana’s Best Friends Breakfast with Lilo & Stitch.

As a mother of four boys, I have been vocal about this in the past too. My boys loved the Villain’s meal, but that went away. The much awaited Monster/Toy Story meal went away too.

Disney clearly finds girl theming to be more profitable. My boys decided several years ago that because of this, they preferred Universal with their slant toward more boy-ish themes.

I think the objection to the Villains meal had to do with complaints of it being potentially frightening to little children. :rolleyes: Give me a break. We don’t take our boys to princess meals, so what’s the problem with not taking little tykes who might be frightened to see the Villains?

I think they are missing a big potential marketing area here. At least half of the guests who come to WDW are male. Disney needs to wake up and smell the mudpies!

We did this on our last trip and yes, it was very good, teh food is terrific, but still not what I am looking for. We had Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto at ours but I am more thinking along the lines of Toy story, monsters, Pirates, (come on, pirates, everybody can be a pirate, boys, girls, moms, dads…) and Villians would be terrific!

[QUOTE=ddoll;953258]As a mother of four boys, I have been vocal about this in the past too. My boys loved the Villain’s meal, but that went away. The much awaited Monster/Toy Story meal went away too.

Disney clearly finds girl theming to be more profitable. My boys decided several years ago that because of this, they preferred Universal with their slant toward more boy-ish themes.

I think the objection to the Villains meal had to do with complaints of it being potentially frightening to little children. :rolleyes: Give me a break. We don’t take our boys to princess meals, so what’s the problem with not taking little tykes who might be frightened to see the Villains?

I think they are missing a big potential marketing area here. At least half of the guests who come to WDW are male. Disney needs to wake up and smell the mudpies![/QUOTE]

DDoll, this is spot on, I hate to hear that WDW’rs are headed over to Universal to find something, although I do live in a reality, but this is one of those things that WDW can prevent! Villians would be awesome, and you are right, if a child would be scared, the parents can opt to not attend!

Come on Disney, get on this!!!

Although I know my son would love a Toy Story or Monsters Inc meal, I know my daughters would be just as excited. So, I absolutely think this would be an amazing character meal. I like the Villians, as well, but I think it would probably cater more to the older kid/adult crowd. Either one sounds good to me, as long as Stitch isn’t involved! :laugh: