Brave

Leaving in 15 minutes to take the kids to see it. I’m hoping it won’t be disappointing. It’s not getting great reviews. I’m reading a lot of “It’s a good film, but not Pixar at its best.”

A year after its release, we have never watched Cars 2–not even interested in it.

Review when I get home!

[QUOTE=Cavey;1114823]Leaving in 15 minutes to take the kids to see it. I’m hoping it won’t be disappointing. It’s not getting great reviews. I’m reading a lot of “It’s a good film, but not Pixar at its best.”

A year after its release, we have never watched Cars 2–not even interested in it.

Review when I get home![/QUOTE]

Please report—I’ve been waiting for someone to review it on here----I have read mixed reviews online—

DD12 (gulp, 13 in two days) saw it last Saturday with a group of friends and they all enjoyed it.
DD17 is SO glad it’s finally out. She works at Tinseltown and has had to wear a “Brave” shirt every week since Lorax came out. Now they’ll get new shirts for the next movie.

I liked Cars 2, not a cinema classic, but a fun way to kill a little time. I think people went in expecting something new and amazing, and well sequels are seldom that.

Brave looks interesting, can’t wait for your review.

-H

I loved it.

Merida is a strong female character who knows what she wants and is determined to get it. She sends a positive message to young girls, exemplifying how you can decide your own destiny, and you don’t need a man to live happily ever after.

The scenery in the film is absolutely gorgeous.

And then I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film was about Merida and her mom (I tried to avoid spoilers). This is unique because most princesses don’t have moms or don’t spend much time with them throughout the film. I was really glad to see that Merida had a strong mother who was with her throughout the entire story. I feel like this plot is so much more relatable than other princess plots - her mother has expectations which she must live up to, but she wants to be her own person. She has to find a balance between being a lady and having fun - this is what girls are dealing with today. Women are struggling with now taking on the once-typical male role, while still having to maintain the female image.

I am very happy that Disney/Pixar has created a princess who the young girls of this generation can look up to. I hope that Merida becomes a staple, and I think that especially because she was created by Pixar, she will be around for a while.

I LOVED it!

Pros:
The visual effects are STUNNING!!! Best I’ve ever seen.
We laughed hard for much of the film. The gags were hilarious.
Suspenseful.
Solid plot line.

Cons:
Other than laughter, Brave doesn’t create an emotional response.
Scary for younger viewers. The child behind us cried and wanted to leave.
Plot line, while solid, is predictable.
Didn’t Disney already do a film where a family member is magically transformed into a bear so that a lesson is learned?

Summary:
Visually, this is Pixar’s best film yet. Beyond that, it’s a good story, but not as lofty as previous films. Remember the emotional response when Sully pushes open the rebuilt door and says, “Boo?” Remember when Wall-E rebooted and took Eva’s hand? Remember the last 5 minutes of Toy Story 3? The first 5 minutes of Up? None of that is present. I think they try, but as the film reaches the climax, you already know how it will end, and so you don’t have the emotional investment. You do get some great laughs the entire movie, which is satisfying in itself.

I’d give it 4 mouse ears :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey: out of 5.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1114864]I loved it.

I feel like this plot is so much more relatable than other princess plots - her mother has expectations which she must live up to, but she wants to be her own person. She has to find a balance between being a lady and having fun - this is what girls are dealing with today. Women are struggling with now taking on the once-typical male role, while still having to maintain the female image.
[/QUOTE]

See, I used the film to tell my daughter that if she doesn’t mind her parents, terrible things will happen to her! :ninja:

Grateful for the reviews on this one. The girls and I are planning on seeing this in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it!

[QUOTE=Cavey;1114865]I LOVED it!
Cons:
Other than laughter, Brave doesn’t create an emotional response.
Scary for younger viewers. The child behind us cried and wanted to leave.
Plot line, while solid, is predictable.
Didn’t Disney already do a film where a family member is magically transformed into a bear so that a lesson is learned?[/QUOTE]

See, I must be a weirdo, because the only thing that stopped me from bawling my eyes out when Merida started crying to her mother about how much she loved her (I’m really trying not to spoil… I hope that didn’t ruin the movie for anyone) was that I was sitting next to Max and his mother.

I also had the urge to cry when she climbed the falls because it was just so beautiful. Gosh, I’m weird.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1114868]See, I must be a weirdo, because the only thing that stopped me from bawling my eyes out when Merida started crying to her mother about how much she loved her (I’m really trying not to spoil… I hope that didn’t ruin the movie for anyone) was that I was sitting next to Max and his mother.

I also had the urge to cry when she climbed the falls because it was just so beautiful. Gosh, I’m weird.[/QUOTE]

Climbing the falls was breath-takingly beautiful. I could see where when might tear up (I was keyed up with that entire sequence of leaving the castle for the day–that’s where the visual effects really popped out at me!).

The end with Merida & her mom was just too predictable. You knew (as an adult, kids might be different) what was about to take place.

SPOILER ALERT (Highlight with your mouse to read)
If this wasn’t a kids’ film, an ending that would have put a lump in my throat is not getting the happy ending. Having her destiny changed because it couldn’t be undone. Imagine watching mother walk away, never to come back. THAT would have had me in tears, and would have been a powerful lesson on choices, words, & lasting consequences!

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1114868]See, I must be a weirdo, because the only thing that stopped me from bawling my eyes out when Merida started crying to her mother about how much she loved her (I’m really trying not to spoil… I hope that didn’t ruin the movie for anyone) was that I was sitting next to Max and his mother.

I also had the urge to cry when she climbed the falls because it was just so beautiful. Gosh, I’m weird.[/QUOTE]

I did cry :blush: We enjoyed the movie, but it did scare my 4 yr-old DGD in parts. Not so much that she didn’t ask me to buy it for her :laugh:
The artistry that went into the movie was breathtaking! The forest was beautiful!

My boys (ages 9 and 10) and I loved it! Great reviews already here, and I’ll just agree and support those.

Saw it on opening night at City Walks the night before we left for home and absolutely loved it! Great characters, plot (though I admit predictable) was still good, and the visuals where just…WOW…!

We saw it on Sunday and enjoyed it thoroughly. One of the reviews I’d read said, in essence, that the only thing really wrong with the film is that it was “too much Disney, not enough Pixar” (not their typical emotional impact, obstacles to overcome that were a bit too pat, plot points that were a bit too obvious), and I can understand those points. I also agree that Cavey’s highlight-to-read alternate ending would have packed a far more significant wallop. Oh well. But the comedy works on multiple levels, and the visuals are STUNNING. That river…wow.

I haven’t seen any comments yet about “La Luna,” the short before the main event. Anyone else enjoy that as much as I did? I thought it was utterly charming, and came away thinking that they could make a killing selling those little “starlights” in the Parks and at WoD. I’d snap one up without a second thought. :wub:

Loved La Luna!! A great little bonus!

Yes! Visually stunning!

We just bought this. Love it. DD#2 is much like Merida; from the hair to the attitude. We loved it. Laughed alot.