Bringing a 6yr old boy to WDW

No, I’m not renting or stealing a child for my WDW trip…lol My DF and her 6 year old son may travel with us to WDW in August. They are going to stay at POFQ with us (own room and package, I need my space). She has never traveled to WDW with her son and is nervous about taking him alone. I invited her to travel down there with us and tag along. She is staying the first five nights. It’s been YEARS since I traveled with a small child and have NEVER take a little boy child to WDW…suggestions on cool things for him to do?

They are doing the CS plan with me, so I don’t want to chuck in a bunch of character meals. I am doing Ohanna the first night if they want to join us and Crystal Palace the third morning, so that’s enough. It’s their first time there and they only have 4 full days + a travel day, so I want them to see as much as possible.

I suggested the possibility of him getting in a coach. She thinks I’m nuts, but something tells me an hour in the August heat and hearing that kid whine he can’t walk anymore will change her mind on that…lol

So, lay it on me…what would you do with a first timer who’s only 6?

I suggest checking out the Pirate’s League at MK if he’s at all into pirates. Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger Spin is a must for our DS. Also, don’t miss the Power Rangers, or Lightning McQueen and the Incredibles at HS, that was a huge highlight for him. HS has some of our DS’s most favorite rides. Star Tours, Jedi Training, Indiana Jones, Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, the Stunt Show and Fantasmic. Those are all DS’s top things to do.
And I agree a stroller (coach?) is still a must at 6.

Um… everything?! I have a 7 yo boy, and he loves everything… His favorites are the cars in the MK, Test Track, Stunt show. (He is not a fast ride kid, but his siter was at that age-and she rode EVERYTHING). Some boys love the power rangers in HS. The biggest test will be if he likes fast rides or not… other than that- it will all be fun!!! Have a good trip.

Everything he is big enough to do. He will love it all, especially MK. Rides, rides, rides.

Our first trip to Disney was when the boys were 8 and 6. Perfect ages for boys! They tried everything. They still went on rides like Winnie the Pooh, but then also went on Space Mountain. Also, food was easy, they worked up an appetite, so whatever we put in front of them, it was gone within minutes. Don’t forget the pool. Mine could be in there for hours at that age.

Thanks for the input all. I appreciate the ideas to get my creative juices flowing. I am sure it will be a wonderful trip regardless of what we do, but wanted to hear what some of your little boys enjoy to do at WDW. Thanks again.

My best advice is to keep it light and fun. We went with friends one year with their six year old. His mother was one of these “discuss every detail with her child” kinds.:glare: Well, she gave him so much info the kid was freaked at everything before we got started. Well - you know me Dana - no patience for that sort of thing!:laugh: We finally left them on their own. It was too frustrating. Encourage him to try everything and remind him that it’s all “fun”. (only don’t buy him a turkey leg.:blow:) That definitely isn’t fun.:laugh:

My boys both went when they were 6. My oldest DS discovered a whole new world of riding all the mountains (it was a game for him to see how many times he could ride Space Mountain) and the other thrill rides while my other DS loved doing the pirate adventure at the GF and his other love that trip was eating as many Mickey bars possible!!:laugh: He also enjoyed Star Tours and the safari ride. Both boys feel in love with swimming at the resorts at this age.
I agree with Llama, just keep it light and fun- my boys just liked going with the flow.

I think it really comes down to what he’s into! We took DS when he was 5, and it was all about Cars and Test Track, and he thought the car stunt show was fantastic. He couldn’t care less about Power Rangers or Jedi Academy, because he’s just not into them.

He definitely didn’t need a stroller at 5 years old… I’d think a 6 year old wouldn’t be caught dead!

My son is five ALMOST 6, and he LOVED Jedi training, Cars, Indiana Jones, Great Movie Ride, Buzz, etc. And we always have a stroller for kids to sit dwn when there little legs are tired…

DS was 5 1/2 when we were there in Feb. He LOVED the stunt show at HS…could have sat through it over and over. Indiana Jones was pretty good. I did warn him about fast rides, he’s not really into that, and he steered away from them. For mine, information is a good thing, he doesn’t like to be surprised by things, so warnings were better. He could have gone on forever, so no rest times or anything like that. Food was a biggie, ate all the time. It was 28 degrees when we were there though, so eating was for warmth too! He loved it all. The little kid rides and the big rides. And no…stroller would be an absolute no go. Characters were different for him, he’s always loved them, but this time he was a little shier…still by the end, I couldn’t stop him from posing with them. HATED the Stitch ride. Buzz Lightyear was awesome…all 3 times. He’s not into Power Rangers or Star Wars, so don’t know about those, depends on the boy.

I would recommend to try to keep it simple… its their first time and you probably want to do everything but the simpler the better! but if he is into pirates I think he would love the pirates league and the MK and the cars there too!!!
Try to see the Lights Camera Action, Indian Jones, and the Jedi Training and HS those are always fun :smile:

I have two boys 6 and 8. Surprisingly they both love to pin trade (Santa found lots on ebay cheap for our next trip). We MUST DO Lights Camera Action, Splash Mountain, Kali River Rapids and Soarin. Tell her to plan for down time during the hot day…water parks were their favorite. And for a great dinner…don’t miss out on Chef Mickeys at Contemporary

When my boys were 6 & 8 they were happy doing most everything at Disney. We did not get into detail about most of the rides as we didn’t want them to freak out. Of course, the haunted mansion was a no go just by the name. They really loved everything and enjoyed the shows such as Lion King and Tarzan.
We had a stroller for them and they all fought over it, including my 10 year old daughter at the time. They were not ashamed to want to sit and get pushed.

[QUOTE=dancing4disney;1013104]When my boys were 6 & 8 they were happy doing most everything at Disney. We did not get into detail about most of the rides as we didn’t want them to freak out. Of course, the haunted mansion was a no go just by the name. They really loved everything and enjoyed the shows such as Lion King and Tarzan.
We had a stroller for them and they all fought over it, including my 10 year old daughter at the time. They were not ashamed to want to sit and get pushed.[/QUOTE]

See, you just never can tell by age, mine LOVED HM!

Be prepared that he’ll want to see all the loud, light up toys. Mine couldn’t pass a gift shop or cart with those without checking them out. We were with DGM though, so he ended up with 2.

I have pins and a lanyard to try it out case he likes it. no sense in his mom spending money on it if I have all these pins that my DD is now totally uninterested in…lol

He is way into Star wars, so hopefully Star tours is up and running…can’t forget the Jedi training camp…I may just as excited as him for that. I am such a star wars dork…lol

llama - yes, I don’t have any patience for that sorta of thing. His mom is totally not like that thank goodness. He’s into anything and everything and will go on anything according to her. She’s a thrill junkie like I am so am certain she has taken him on the hard core stuff.

I will leave the coach up to her…see how he holds up. I am not going to listen to him whine that’s for sure…lol

I am nervous and excited about them coming…it’s hard to take people with you on your vacations when you are so used to doing things your way. Hopefully it doesn’t suck.:laugh:

Maybe she should take her DS for a little (like 5 miles :laugh:) walk outside in July and see how he holds up. I think I’d buy a cheap umbrella stroller and bring. I’d rather spent 20 bucks at a thrift shop and not need it, then pay for disney prices to rent. Traveling with an umbrella stroller isn’t bad, it’s those car size ones (like my DGD’s) that’s a pain on buses.

My DS is 6, too. He loves loves loves Star Wars, so that’s always a must. He’s also a bing Indiana Jones fan, so we have to see the stunt show at least once per visit. He’s big on all of the rides (except for ToT, RnR, MS & SM - not sure why). He enjoys pin trading (especially the Star Wars pins), he made his own light saber in the shop after Star Tours. He also likes the Pirate Cruises for the kids. He’s done that 2x and loved them both. The heat is definitely an issue in August (we always go then), but my DS is too big for a stroller now. I used one up until 5.

The Pirates League in MK was a lot of fun for my DS. He really liked getting made into a pirate and they did a fantastic job. If he likes Star Wars, the Jedi training would be fun too. At 6, my DS would not be caught dead in a stroller. When he got tired, we took an afternoon break and he would swim for a few hours which rejuvenated him. Hope this helps. :smile:

[QUOTE=Princessbaby;1013048]… my other DS loved doing the pirate adventure at the GF…QUOTE]

When my two oldest two were 6 and 8, they went on the pirate adventure…LOVED IT!!! Highly recommend it…and it’ll give the adults a break! :blush: