Brumcg's March 2011 "Trip" Report: A Cautionary Tale

:ph34r: Emerging from Lurk mode :ph34r:
:nuke: Warning! Non-Magical Content :nuke:

I wasn’t going to report on our recent nightmare, but perhaps it might be helpful if someone finds themselves in the same unfortunate situation.

The cast is myself (Bruce, age 46), my wife Sandy (age older than Bruce), my daughter Mags (age 19), and daughter Mo (age 11). It was our annual Spring Break trip down to the World.

I’ll try to make a very long story short… A few weeks before the trip, Sandy’s Dad entered Hospice care. It was a very difficult few weeks trying to figure out if we should cancel or not. Everyone at Hospice and his Nursing Home told us to go, but no one was sure how long he would last. Our alternative was June, and they couldn’t even tell us which was better or worse.

There were even “encouraging” signs before we were scheduled to leave. Sandy made the difficult decision to go on the trip, and the rest of the family agreed.

Trying to save a few dollars, we had previously made the decision to drive over two days (Friday and Saturday). We arrived to the Wilderness Lodge Villas on Saturday, spent some time in the Territory Lounge, and had a fantastic (and expensive) dinner at Artist Point.

On Sunday, we had a great morning in the Magic Kingdom. While hopping to Epcot, Sandy called for an update… and that was the end of our vacation. Her father had taken a severe turn for the worse. Behind the scenes, they didn’t know if we would even make it in time.

I need to commend a Monorail worker at Epcot - I think his name was David but I just can’t remember - who saw our distress, discretely spoke with me and offered whatever help he could, and later told me he would pray for Sandy’s Dad and all of us. Amazing.

We scrambled… Wilderness Lodge concierge was wonderful… refunding what they could, processing the ticket upgrade to no expiration (better than flushing the tickets), and contacting DVC member services for us. We drove back overnight and (barely) made it back home by 8:00AM Monday. We made it in time… Sandy’s Dad passed away Tuesday night, and she was by his side which was very important to her.

Everyone who had seen her Dad on Friday was stunned by the turn of events.

So there you have it. I hope no one ever finds themselves in the same situation, but - if you do - keep our story in mind.

Bruce

I’m sorry for your loss. Non-magical, indeed.

Glad to hear Disney stepped up as they could and it’s always nice to hear about kind people.

I am so sorry your trip ended up with such a sad outcome. I’m glad several CMs went out if their way to make a very difficult situation a little easier. I hope you have a chance to rebook soon.

I’m so sorry to hear about Sandy’s dad. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. I am glad that Disney stepped up where they should and hopefully you will be able to finish off your family vacation in June.

Thanks folks. I forgot to mention that after things started to settle down this past weekend, we made new reservations for June. It won’t be at our beloved Villas at Wilderness Lodge but we’ll be trying Kidani Village at Animal Kingdom for the fist time.

I am so sorry for your loss. What a terrible way to end a vacation. My heart goes out to your family. Pixie dust and Prayers

I am also glad that Disney was able to help you out by refunding and extending your passes. I hope that when you are able to return, you have a magical time.

Good for you. We’ll be at WDW in early June staying at BCV and Pop.

I’m so sorry for the loss of Sandy’s dad. I’m happy to hear that Disney did what they could for you in light of the circumstances and I hope your June vacation is perfect.

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I’m glad Disney was able to do what they could in such a terrible situation. I hope your June trip is very magical.

So sorry to hear of your father-in-law’s passing. What a hard time for all of you.
Kudos to Disney for the way they handled things. I hope things are getting easier for you and especially for Sandy.

As for Kidani Village - you are going to LOVE it! New experiences are always fun!

Praying for you and your family. I’m so glad Sandy made it back to her dad to be with him, I know how important that is.
Hope you have a great trip in June!

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law. I’m happy to hear that Disney was helpful and supportive while you were trying to get back home. I’m also happy to hear that you are planning to go back in June. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow. This hits close to home. Same situation w/ DW’s pop. So many variables, such a poor ending no matter which you choose. Our thoughts are w/ you guys.

Thoughts and prayers to your family. On a side note, you will LOVE Kidani village!! Stayed there last summer and am booked for this September!!

So sorry for your loss, you are in our thoughts and prayers at this very difficult time. I’m very happy that your wife was able to be by her dad’s side. It’s nice to know that Disney did what they could during this very sad time for your family.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. What a blessing that Sandy could be with her father as he passed on.

Thanks again for all of the kind words! I’ve passed them on to Sandy, and we hope all of your trips are smooth sailing.

SO sorry for your loss but what an amazing to CM to take the time to check on you. My prayers are with you and the family!

Wow Bruce… Sorry to hear that for you!
Hope all is doing well and hope the healing has begun for Sandy and all!!!
Sending your Family PIXIE DUST …

I am extremely sorry for your families loss! And that Cast Member, was a wonderful person!

I have a sort of similar story, which I’m going to try to keep short! I went on vacation in 2007 I believe with my then best friends family, we were staying for 12 or 14 days, I can’t remember, and on about the 9th or 10th day her mom got a phone call that her older brother was missing. (He had had a history of depression and everyone was really concerned that he was missing.) My friends mom was a mess, and so scared for where her brother was. We decided to pack up and leave.

And while we were waiting in the lobby of the Yatch Club, my friends mom was sitting on a chair and sobbing, the most lovely male Cast Member came over, knelt to the ground, held her hand and talked with her for like 30 minutes. He gave her so much hope and peace of mind, it was a wonderful thing. And something she needed. Neither of her kids quite knew how to console her, and my friends dad was sorting things out with the concierge, and I had only known them 3 months, and I didn’t feel comfortable trying to help. That cast member really went above and beyond his duty to make a horrible situation seem more hopeful.