Budgeting question

I’m starting to feel nervous that we haven’t saved enough for our trip. This is our third trip to Disney (second with meal plan and staying on the property). We’ve been saving for over two years and thought we had all expenditures figured out, but little fees keep being added to our total. Here is what I have planned for so far.

10-day Magic Your Way Parkhopper and two days at Waterparks passes with Disney Dining Plan for 7 people and two rooms at Disney’s All Star Movies Resort based on the amount they gave me when we booked (are there any extra fees they don’t tell you about when you book?)

Airfare for 7 plus a $45 allowance for bags there and back.

$200 per person for souveniers (which may be high, but last time I didn’t budget enough and we overspent and came home with a balance on the CC)

Money for an airport taxi there and back.

Money to tip Mousekeeping for both rooms each day.

$50 per day for gratuity for our dining plan.

Is there anything I haven’t planned for that will cost. We aren’t renting a car, just relying on the Disney Transportation. We are eliminating our Waterparks and more to save money and just paying for a two-day pass to the waterparks, I think. We are packing a few healthy snacks to bring with us throughout the 10 days we are there.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

You may have your reasons, but why not use magical express instead of paying for a taxi? And what is the $45 allowance for your bags?

Were you planning on buying drink mugs? For 7 people that’s close to 100 bucks.

[QUOTE=jen9804;1011408]
Airfare for 7 plus a $45 allowance for bags there and back.

$200 per person for souveniers (which may be high, but last time I didn’t budget enough and we overspent and came home with a balance on the CC)

Money for an airport taxi there and back.

Money to tip Mousekeeping for both rooms each day.

$50 per day for gratuity for our dining plan.

Is there anything I haven’t planned for that will cost. We aren’t renting a car, just relying on the Disney Transportation. We are eliminating our Waterparks and more to save money and just paying for a two-day pass to the waterparks, I think. We are packing a few healthy snacks to bring with us throughout the 10 days we are there.

Thanks for any help you can give me!![/QUOTE]

Well I would use Magical Express…it’s free and they transport your luggage for you…we’ve done it twice and it’s great.

200 for souvenier is high for us. The first time we went I hit the local Disney store ahead of time and bought LOTS of stuff for the kids on clearance. Each day they were able to wear a new Disney shirt (less than $5 each) and at the end of the day they knew they would get to pick out of the goody bag (suckers, stickers, toy phones, etc…) They didn’t ask for anything in the park and it saved me lots of $$$$

Hope you have a great time

I too would suggest using ME. Also, you have to check with your airline for the baggage fees. Our fees were much higher for the 7 of us to travel, though we have small kids and many bags to check.
$200/person for souvenirs is super high. That’s $1400! You could almost book another week there! I would cut back on that and either save the money or use it towards a special experience there, or add a couple nights to your trip. But that’s just my opinion.:happy:

I’m going to guess that’s paying for the stuff that’s not carry-on. Can’t stand all these picky little airline charges.

I totally forgot about the drink mugs. I’ll add that in.

The airport taxi is just to get us from home to the Mpls. Airport and then back from the Airport to our home at the end of the trip. We are using Magical Express when we are there.

The bag fees are charged by most of the airlines we have seen. They seem to be charging $15 per bag on average.

I know I’m budgeting too much for souveniers, but we don’t have to spend it if we don’t want to. I just want to be prepared. The souveniers we got last time were mostly pins at each park for each of the three kids (which we really loved doing) and beach towels at Typhoon lagoon. This time we want them from Blizzard Beach. We also bought a couple of the photo pass pictures for our album, which I am glad we have. I also bought some scrapbooking paper and a Disney frame, but may skip that this time. We always get each kid a Christmas Ornament every year, and the years we go to Disney we pick them out at the Christmas shop in DT Disney. I guess we’ll have to see. If we have some left over at the end of the trip, I’ll be happy with that. Then it will just go back into our Disney Banks for next trip!

Thanks for all the advice. I’m hoping that we will be well-prepared for our trip this time!

Jennifer

Fly Southwest if that’s in your area. They don’t charge for bags. Also, have a friend, neighbor or relative drive you to and from the airport, letting them know that you will return the favor when they need a ride. We also have the rule when the kids were younger and using my money for souveniers, that one per trip. They would spend the entire trip looking, and then on the last day, we would let them go and get what they decided.

I ordered Disney pins through ebay and Santa brought them for christmas…30pins for about $40. Now they have tons to trade with on our next trip

That is a great idea! I never thought to buy them for them to trade. We usually just pick out one from each part for their lanyards. I’ll have to look into getting some on eBay to trade.

That’s what I’ve done for my son. He has a gallon ziplock bag that he keeps all his traders in. We even leave it packed to it’s ready for the next trip. We started out buying pins at the park but it added up too quickly. Now we buy a few here and there but for the most part he trades.

We also buy traders on ebay, I just got 30 pins for 30 dollars o n EBAY!!! We also budget for mousekeeping.

For those of you who buy your pins on eBay, is there a particular seller you like? Do you get a nice assortment? Are there duplicates? Are all legitimate and tradeable? Are they still on the card? My kids got really excited when I told them about this option, but there are alot of dealers out there and I don’t want to make an error when I’m spending my kids money:happy:

I buy pins off ebay all the time and have never had a problem with any of the sellers. I don’t have a particular one I stick with. There’s usually pics of all the pins you’re buying so you know what you’re getting and mine almost always come on the card.

Do you buy them individually or in a big lot? Most of the big lots say that the picture is just a general idea of what you get, not necessarily the same in all the lots.

Hmmm…good question. I guess I’ve only bought a bunch of pins once and the picture was what I got, so I don’t know if it was by chance or not.

i just picked someone at random…had an assortment…6 carosel horses, but all different colors and all had hiddne mickeys…(the only thing my son looks at)

I have bought some on Ebay too. I never buy them in the park. You can also try http://www.mousepinsonline.com/ They are all authentic and tradable

We always fly Southwest. No bags fees and reliable.

E-Bay for pins (like you’re doing lol), snagging clearance items prior, and last but not least…Ship snacks out before you leave. Pay that flat rate for a box or weigh it etc whatever ends up cheaper and send juice boxes, healthy snack options that wont’ go bad etc. I hear the hotels are awesome with this ship ahead stuff.

Meanwhile I’m counting down the days til my own June trip. :laugh:

I would use some of the $200. to pay for the mugs. If you’re there for 10 days that’s a lot of drinks! coffee, pop, tea, hot chocolate ect! I also would use ME from the airport.

Mmmm…I still remember those bus rides with my hot chocolate in my mug. I think those mugs made my husband’s trip. He thought it was such a great deal!

And you’re right, disneymania - anyone who wants a mug can take it out of their souvenier fund!