Bus Transportation issues

I received notice that starting next weekend anyone attempting to board a SoG bus from TTC, the parks, or DTD will have to produce a Resort ID or Room Key AND an ID (preferably a military ID). I don’t have a problem with this but apparently many do, claiming this will cause to many delays in transportation.

We were not told exactly why this change is taking place but there are 2 theory’s floating around.

1. Security. I can understand this since everyone must show an ID and check-in with the Gate Guard when driving in anyway.
  2. Abuse. While I won’t rule this one out completely because of so those that try to avoid paying to park by parking at DTD or the Resorts, especially the monorail resorts, but could this be spreading to other resorts as well. Could there really be that many people that would do such a thing? I guess I can’t fathom the idea since I would never intentionally park elsewhere just to save a few bucks.

There are quite a few that stay in WDW resorts but take a bus to SoG for tickets and other lesser priced items. I’m guessing this will stop them since they won’t have a room key/resort id.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1133600]I received notice that starting next weekend anyone attempting to board a SoG bus from TTC, the parks, or DTD will have to produce a Resort ID or Room Key AND an ID (preferably a military ID). I don’t have a problem with this but apparently many do, claiming this will cause to many delays in transportation.

We were not told exactly why this change is taking place but there are 2 theory’s floating around.

1. Security. I can understand this since everyone must show an ID and check-in with the Gate Guard when driving in anyway.
  2. Abuse. While I won’t rule this one out completely because of so those that try to avoid paying to park by parking at DTD or the Resorts, especially the monorail resorts, but could this be spreading to other resorts as well. Could there really be that many people that would do such a thing? I guess I can’t fathom the idea since I would never intentionally park elsewhere just to save a few bucks.

There are quite a few that stay in WDW resorts but take a bus to SoG for tickets and other lesser priced items. I’m guessing this will stop them since they won’t have a room key/resort id.[/QUOTE]

Interesting…I bet your theory is right. I do remember back in the early 90s, we all had to show our separate bus ID to board the buses at the resorts and parks. That was before the resorts had the “gates” for parking. It was kind of a pain to have an extra card to keep up with…especially with kids…

Carrying our ID is an always must, always. So we’re used to that since it’s needed in case of medical emergency’s.
What’s throwing me off is in the notification the id check will apply only while going TO the resort, not leaving from it. That’s where the security theory arises.
Does SoG follow defcon?

security is very important for so many reasons,disney is very sensitive for all the right reasons,so I believe it is reasonable…people pay good money to stay on property and free loaders should not benefit from those that are paying customers

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1133602]Carrying our ID is an always must, always. So we’re used to that since it’s needed in case of medical emergency’s.
What’s throwing me off is in the notification the id check will apply only while going TO the resort, not leaving from it. That’s where the security theory arises.
Does SoG follow defcon?[/QUOTE]

Love the Defon reference.:laugh:

I have not found anything other than the SoG shuttle doing this. So I am sure it has soemthing to do with either security checks/threats, or just to make sure resources are being utilized properly.

I’m suprised we don’t have to show a resort ID or AP when getting on WDW transportatin. I know I would have no problem pulling eihter out when boarding. As to others wanting to use the bus to get to the SoG resort for tickets they need to show a military ID at the counter, so they can just show it before they jump on the shuttle also.

Some might find this extra layer of ID check a hassle, but after all of these years I guess I have become immune to taking out any ID when requested.

Love the Defon reference.

Jeff told me there was a sign posted at the gate we were in Alpha.

I’m suprised we don’t have to show a resort ID or AP when getting on WDW transportatin.

Isn’t WDW trans open to anyone wanting to visit the parks/resorts regardless if staying there?

after all of these years I guess I have become immune to taking out any ID when requested.

EXACTLY!!!

Your dead on with the key words of “staying there”. And WDW transportation is also good for anyone with a valid ticket that day. But those staying in an offsite hotel are expected to pay for parking in one of the 4 locations if they do not have an AP. To avoid the $14.00 many still park at DTD. They hit the DTD bus stop, go to any resort, and then grab a bus from there to their intended park. It clogs up the DTD lot when this happens.

How recently were you notified? Could it be after the Boston Marathon? SoG is owned and operated by DoD after all. This would explain the need to show ID before boarding a bus returning to the resort but not when going to parks.
Anything else, well, SoG provides its own transportation because it isn’t part of the Disney Transport system. This means they’re paying (we’re? - i.e. taxpayers) for their own buses and do not want freeloaders just hopping on their buses.
Other than security reasons, I can’t see why they’d need to see more than one resort ID per group of passengers. It’s that “guests of guests” thing.

Discussions about freeloaders parking in DTD are part of a different larger picture with Disney Transport, and not so much of an issue of freeloaders parking in DTD and trying to use SoG buses to get anywhere.

By the way, has anyone else ever needed to catch a bus to DTD from the Contemporary around MK closing time? How about Boardwalk? THOSE are the buses that get most abused!!

As for who can and can’t use Disney Transport, well, DT is for guests and if you’re not cast, you’re a guest. Buses run largely empty much of the day and even if you don’t pay to park, at some point, Disney will get into your wallet for more money than the cost of your bus ride. Even if all you do is buy a bottle of water.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1133626] This means they’re paying (we’re? - i.e. taxpayers) for their own buses and do not want freeloaders just hopping on their buses.
Other than security reasons, I can’t see why they’d need to see more than one resort ID per group of passengers. It’s that “guests of guests” thing.

By the way, has anyone else ever needed to catch a bus to DTD from the Contemporary around MK closing time?[/QUOTE]

Actually, SoG pays for itself. ALL of the money generated by the resort stays in the resort or goes to cover other Morale, Welfare and Rec functions.

While there are funds that are provided by DOD for rec activities for the Active Duty members, those $$$$ flow via the Pentagon finance chain directly to the unit the member is attached.

And as far as the guest of guest having their information checked, I like that they are beginning to check all ID’s for SoG. In my opinion it is too soft a target not to check all ID’s.

As to the CR bus to DTD, they were lined up 3 deep the whole legnth of the bus waiting area 2 weeks ago when we walked from MK to CR after closing. Just a little obvious.

Thank you for clarifying Rich.

SG believe it or not there are people with ID’s that pass through the gate guard and park at the resort for the buses to avoid the $15 parking fee. I have read MANY on other boards asking if they can park there if they weren’t staying there.

I think everyone would notice a difference on all the buses if they started checking resort ID’s/Room Keys. We use WDW Trans as well as SoG’s, but that’s one of the perks advertised available for guests, like emh etc.

Security is always a concern and yes I did receive this 3 days ago.

It’s technically the policy at every resort. I wouldn’t waste much time fretting over it.

For that matter, every time you drive into a Disney resort, you are stopped at the guard shack and asked for photo ID or Disney room key. Even if you have a parking pass. Doesn’t bother me much other than the bother of having to pull out my wallet. Most of the resorts will let you park if you tell them you’re there to shop and eat. They do get a bit tighter at the monorail resorts though. I seem to recall Poly giving you a parking pass if you are dining that is supposed to be good only for three hours.

PS: If SoG is almost self funding, great. If taxpayers are footing the bill 100%, again, great. I’m guessing everyone in uniform has pulled at least one tour in a war zone by now, so this is the least we can do.

Agree 100% with SG. Wouldn’t it be great if every soldier could take a Shades of Green trip? Like a Fleet Week in NYC, have a Soldier’s week or month at Disney and make it as cheap as possible for them to go. Sure would make alot of military families I know happy.

All active/retired and other qualifying can stay there anytime and those that served a tour then were discharged can stay in Sept and Jan. We do get a week of PH/WP&M tics for $184 and trust me, it’s greatly appreciated. We wouldn’t be able to go as often or do split resort stays if it weren’t for Disney recognizing the military. Thank you Disney!

Updated*, it’s not for abuse but rather for security. Thanks all for listening to me ramble.:happy:

Shades of Green Resort

Good afternoon all! A few updates, as well answers to your frequently asked questions that arose in the discussion about upcoming ID check on Shades of Green busses:
*The 100% ID check has been changed to take effective Monday, May 20, 2013.
*Day use of the resort and its amenities-such as the spa, restaurants, tickets, and AAFES- is still allowed and encouraged to any guests who have a military ID, or the resort ID received at check-in + photo ID.
*In testing a 100% ID check, we have not experienced delays. We expect the same success when it is fully implemented though there may be minor delays during peak periods. We ask that all of our guests have their ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus to help avoid those delays.
*If staying at SOG, and you have guests visiting you from other resorts who do not have a military ID, you may call our security gate and put them on the guest list.
*An ID check for the walking path onto Shades of Green is also part of our plan for increasing security in the very near future.
*The motivation for these decisions has been and always will be to maintain the safety of our guests and employees. The safety of you and your families is always our priority.

To piggyback on Mickeybug- A new program SoG started awhile ago is one that anyone who has a DD-214 with an honorable discharge status can book a room this upcoming September and January. Don’t know how long it will last, or how many rooms are allocated. The link is below:

Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy,

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1133706]Updated*, it’s not for abuse but rather for security. Thanks all for listening to me ramble.:happy:

[/QUOTE]

Proof of the genius of me.
This was my first thought. Security.

What does the USS Tracy have to do with anything?
USS Tracy (DD-214) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:laugh:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1133628]
3 deep [/QUOTE]

Is that your imitation of a frog?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1133733]What does the USS Tracy have to do with anything?
USS Tracy (DD-214) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:laugh:

Is that your imitation of a frog?[/QUOTE]

You had to dig real deep for both of those.:laugh:

Not very hard at all.
Especially when you know that destroyers are all prefixed “DD”.
“3 Deep”? I used to be a gamer so I remembered this Frogger sequel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogger_II:_ThreeeDeep!