Buying Points in Small Amounts

At some point, I will be a DVC points owner. But with job stability and the ecomony, it seems very scary to start out with the 160 points they usually require to purchase AKV. So, I was thinking, in resales I always see 50 points available for sale. That would get me limited days per year, but with DH being laid off and in a new job recently, he doesn’t have any vacation time accumulated anyways. So, what do you think. The cost of 50 points is a little more than what we usually spend for a vacation, and with us not having vacation time, I can use my vacation money to purchase points. And then steadily build from there, when things are more stable.

A lot of people have gotten in to DVC with a small contract then added more points later. If you don’t mind going slowly I say go for it. DVC was running a deal where you could buy 100 points at AKV, I don’t know if it’s still available but you could call and find out if you are interested.

Beth, I think that’s a GREAT way to get your feet wet with DVC!!! There are REALLY awesome DVC resales to be had right now. I have seen SSR in the low 70’s…AKV in the 80’s - 90’s…I even saw a big (500 point) contract LOADED with points for 79 at AKV!!! I see BCV and BWV in the high 80’s…I am CONSTANTLY on the lookout!!! DH is even interested in more points so we could use half for ourselves and rent half, which will pay for the Maintenance Fees and then some. :laugh: He was REALLY interested in a 500 point at SSR for 68 a point!!! :blink: HE HAS ADDONITIS!!! But I think that’s too many points at SSR. :huh: I think I’d much rather have a different home resort for flexibility 11 months out.

Sorry for babbling…I just L:heart:VE DVC and I’m so glad I bought in!!! YOu won’t be sorry. And remember…you can bank and borrow so you can use your 50 points every 3rd year and have a 150 point trip! (until you buy more points, that is. :laugh:)

GOOD LUCK!!!

It is a great way to get started. But there are some cons. One is that generally it’s a cash deal. Another is you want to have the same use month or you can go crazy trying to keep use by dates straight.

The other thing to watch is closing costs, expecially buying small contacts. They generally run $395-795 from what I’ve seen. So if you buy a 50 point contract @$85 then pay $396 closing costs you are REALLY spending $93 a point.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;934990]It is a great way to get started. But there are some cons. One is that generally it’s a cash deal. Another is you want to have the same use month or you can go crazy trying to keep use by dates straight.

The other thing to watch is closing costs, expecially buying small contacts. They generally run $395-795 from what I’ve seen. So if you buy a 50 point contract @$85 then pay $396 closing costs you are REALLY spending $93 a point.[/QUOTE]

Good point to remember about the closing costs.

100 points is an add-on deal for people who already have points. Someone buy new into DVC, directly through Disney, still have a 160 min. purchase

Not too long ago DVC allowed new members to join with only 100 points. I believe it was only good at AKV.

They actually have a deal where you can buy 100 points at AKV. I think they are currently offering this deal at SSR and AKV (someone on another board just went to a presentation this week and that was what they were offered).

Thank you, I thought I was crazy remembering this.

:laugh: Nope…you were right on! :laugh:

This is how we got in in the summer! 100 point in AKV! I am so glad we did as we were going to wait until this summer and go for 160 but with the exchange rate dropping soo much we wouldn’t have been able to afford it!!!

It’s a great plan… and you will be surprised at how few points you need for a nice long vacation at certain times of the year.

I actually was going to buy 100pts and decided I would work harder to get 160 and it has worked out for the time being(knock on wood.) but, the offer for a minimum of 100pts at AKV is no longer available when the price got higher from $104 to $112 per point the offer of minimum of 100pts was ended.