Buzz...and Buzz!

I write this not to boast and brag on behalf of any M’Buzzer who was at MK yesterday, but just because it was way cool.

Huge surprise for me since I’ve not been at MK for 3 days and missed all the announcements. Before CDCT stepped off yesterday, we had a very special pre-parade. Buzz Aldrin (the second man to step on the moon who came down the ladder after Neil) was at MK doing a book signing. He was the honorary grand marshall, along with the toy of Buzz Lightyear that recently went to space and returned safely. BA rode in a beautiful 1969 corvette (the year of the landing) and BL rode on a remote controlled toy RC car down Main Street. It was such an honor to see and meet this man who did one of the greatest accomplishments for all mankind. Sorry just had to share.

Cool, that’s so awesome! I got to meet Buzz Aldrin at the South Florida Science Museum years ago and he was very cool! I would have loved to have seen this parade at the MK!

Jack Spence at allearsnet has a blog about it and a bunch of pictures as well

Thanks Rowdy! Always good to hear the latest updates and the attention to detail that Disney uses. 1969 corvette…who else would go to this trouble? That’s what makes Disney a success!

It was also on the Disney Blog . . . really cute:

Disney Parks Celebrates Buzz Lightyear With Ticker-Tape Parade Disney Parks Blog

Thanks for sharing it! Awesome! Any one have a pic of that corvette? the 69 is SMOKING HOT!

How cool! What an experience it must have been for all who were there. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Thanks for sharing! That is so cool. My kids thought it was cool too!

Rowdy, I have a question… Why is Mickey always in the beginning of the parade? I thought that he would be the finale- since he is the original… Just curious!

I literally came about this close to meeting Buzz Aldrin about 10 years ago.
(-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------)
We were doing a charity event at Donald Trump’s Mar a Lago. Anyway, before the event I was out by the main entrance to the event tent (more like a semi permanent structure with air conditioning and glass doors) when I recognized actor Fred Williamson (from a movie that was shot in Miami that I’d seen a couple days before on Cinemax). Lucky for me I was in my tux, otherwise I wouldn’t have been in public. So we’re talking for a good 10 minutes when Buzz Aldrin goes walking by. No more than a foot from me. Unfortunately I didn’t want to be beyond rude to Fred and stop Buzz in his tracks to fawn over him, but I did remark to Fred that Buzz was one of my biggest heroes.
I was taken aback by how much shorter he was than I’d expected, and I already knew that the first three groups of astronauts were all under 5-11.
But, like I said, this was while I was talking with a former pro football star, Spearchucker Jones from the movie MASH, the star of numerous Blaxploitation flicks (some of which I can’t name because their title uses a certain politically incorrect word for Negro), director/producer. No second thoughts about striking up that conversation out of the blue. But Buzz? Too shy to say hi.
And then later that night, I kept the son of Edgar Mitchell, another astronaut who’d walked on the moon from being thrown out because he’d wandered back stage and wasn’t supposed to be there. His dad wasn’t there, but he did arrange for his dad to send me an autographed picture.
(How’s that for a touched by greatness story?)

Oh yeah, and I watched the shuttle launch that Buzz was on last year from the Cocoa Beach Causeway.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;996704]I literally came about this close to meeting Buzz Aldrin about 10 years ago.
(-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------)
We were doing a charity event at Donald Trump’s Mar a Lago. Anyway, before the event I was out by the main entrance to the event tent (more like a semi permanent structure with air conditioning and glass doors) when I recognized actor Fred Williamson (from a movie that was shot in Miami that I’d seen a couple days before on Cinemax). Lucky for me I was in my tux, otherwise I wouldn’t have been in public. So we’re talking for a good 10 minutes when Buzz Aldrin goes walking by. No more than a foot from me. Unfortunately I didn’t want to be beyond rude to Fred and stop Buzz in his tracks to fawn over him, but I did remark to Fred that Buzz was one of my biggest heroes.
I was taken aback by how much shorter he was than I’d expected, and I already knew that the first three groups of astronauts were all under 5-11.
But, like I said, this was while I was talking with a former pro football star, Spearchucker Jones from the movie MASH, the star of numerous Blaxploitation flicks (some of which I can’t name because their title uses a certain politically incorrect word for Negro), director/producer. No second thoughts about striking up that conversation out of the blue. But Buzz? Too shy to say hi.
And then later that night, I kept the son of Edgar Mitchell, another astronaut who’d walked on the moon from being thrown out because he’d wandered back stage and wasn’t supposed to be there. His dad wasn’t there, but he did arrange for his dad to send me an autographed picture.
(How’s that for a touched by greatness story?)

Oh yeah, and I watched the shuttle launch that Buzz was on last year from the Cocoa Beach Causeway.[/QUOTE]
ok, fill us in, what exactly did you do in the way of work? Or am I the only one that doesn’t have a clue?:blink:

I have posted many times in the past about what I do.
It’s even in my name, “Soundgod”.
I’m a concert sound engineer. (Semi retired from that field)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;996726]I have posted many times in the past about what I do.
It’s even in my name, “Soundgod”.
I’m a concert sound engineer. (Semi retired from that field)[/QUOTE]

ok, sending pm

Oh how I miss cocoa Bch.

Rowdy, thanks for sharing. I LOVE to hear about all things that happen in Disney.

That is so awesome.

[QUOTE=hanwill;996675]Thanks for sharing! That is so cool. My kids thought it was cool too!

Rowdy, I have a question… Why is Mickey always in the beginning of the parade? I thought that he would be the finale- since he is the original… Just curious![/QUOTE]

Well, if you think about it, Mickey is the Host to WDW, so of course it’s only natural to be greeted by the Host, and biggest star, first.

I guess you are right. Not questioning Disney’s motives- they do it right… I guess I was thinking of it more like a how- where you see the finale, and the best thing happens at the end… No complaints- Mickey can come at any point of the parade he wishes… He makes us smile whenever we see him! Tell him the Hanwill family said hello if you see him in the parks!

that is way to cooolll… I would love to meet him…