Cake Hotline

This morning I was so excited to call the CAKE HOTLINE to see about ordering a birthday cake for my son’s birthday, the first day of our trip. I had found the number and photos of beautiful cakes people had ordered from Disney. I read that 8" cakes were $25 and could be customized, and saw many pictures of such on some Disney blog site. Okay, I am excited. I dial and get someone who sounds so bored, “disney hotline…can I help you?” I ask her about the 8" cakes that are available for delivery to 1900 Park Fare, you know at the Grand Floridian, where they have their own bakery. This is her exact response “8” cakes are $32.50 and you get a choice between vanilla with white chocolate icing or chocolate with chocolate icing." Oh. What about fillings? no. What about decorations, characters, etc. ? no. Oh. “We’ll write his name on the cake.” Oh, okay.

Is it me, or was that less than magical? Now I feel like bringing a cake from my grocery store in the car…but that’s not very magical either. Hmmm. Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;985104]This morning I was so excited to call the CAKE HOTLINE to see about ordering a birthday cake for my son’s birthday, the first day of our trip. I had found the number and photos of beautiful cakes people had ordered from Disney. I read that 8" cakes were $25 and could be customized, and saw many pictures of such on some Disney blog site. Okay, I am excited. I dial and get someone who sounds so bored, “disney hotline…can I help you?” I ask her about the 8" cakes that are available for delivery to 1900 Park Fare, you know at the Grand Floridian, where they have their own bakery. This is her exact response “8” cakes are $32.50 and you get a choice between vanilla with white chocolate icing or chocolate with chocolate icing." Oh. What about fillings? no. What about decorations, characters, etc. ? no. Oh. “We’ll write his name on the cake.” Oh, okay.

Is it me, or was that less than magical? Now I feel like bringing a cake from my grocery store in the car…but that’s not very magical either. Hmmm. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Calling WALL. The one he gave DW on mom’s day at GF looked Fab!
Seem’s there was a post around here with cake’s to oder too, like treasure chests, choc shoes etc.

Will you be renting a car? If so, maybe try finding a bakery in town? I bet they make many Disney themed cakes being that close to all “The Magic!!”
(you know the main drag behind Disney, sorry forgot the name of the road, I’m sure some will know:blush:)
Have fun and Happy Birthday to your son:mickey:

I’d try calling back and asking for someone else. Sounds like the CM you got was having a really bad day…unfortunately, you were on the receiving end of it!

"I found it!! 1-407-824-1089

You leave a message and they call you within 24 to 48 hours."

I asked about ordering a Castle cake in a previous thread and Mickeysgirlz gave me this number. I have not called it yet because they will not be at WDW till 12/14.

Let me know who it works for you

Brit

We took our twins to WDW for their 3rd birthday and I remember looking into the cake situation. My recollection is that the hotline could get you a really customized cake, not the basic sheet-cake deal that it sounds like you were quoted.

Do try that hotline and let us know.

We didn’t end up going with the hotline deal for some reason, but I recall that at CRT they brought out a special cakey-like dessert. Frankly, if the only option you’re given from the hotline is what you’ve already been told, I’d probably just take my chances at 1900 Park Fare and see what they’ll do for you.

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;985104]This morning I was so excited to call the CAKE HOTLINE to see about ordering a birthday cake for my son’s birthday, the first day of our trip. I had found the number and photos of beautiful cakes people had ordered from Disney. I read that 8" cakes were $25 and could be customized, and saw many pictures of such on some Disney blog site. Okay, I am excited. I dial and get someone who sounds so bored, “disney hotline…can I help you?” I ask her about the 8" cakes that are available for delivery to 1900 Park Fare, you know at the Grand Floridian, where they have their own bakery. This is her exact response “8” cakes are $32.50 and you get a choice between vanilla with white chocolate icing or chocolate with chocolate icing." Oh. What about fillings? no. What about decorations, characters, etc. ? no. Oh. “We’ll write his name on the cake.” Oh, okay.

Is it me, or was that less than magical? Now I feel like bringing a cake from my grocery store in the car…but that’s not very magical either. Hmmm. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

WOW… That is less than Magical!!! When I placed the order it was directly to 1900 Park Fare. I didn’t really specify what I wanted but they did only have Vanilla or Chocolate and just whatever heading you wanted on it.
I just asked them to put “Happy Mothers Day” on it with my wifes name and “Mommy” on it.
It was fabulous, In fact we gave some to the party that sat at our same table for take home and I wish I hadn’t !!! It was that GOOD !!! :laugh:

Sorry for the situation on the phone with them, I hope it works out… Here is the cake we gave DW for Mothers Day.
Hope it all works out for ya’ !!!

[QUOTE=WALL;985190]WOW… That is a less than Magical!!! When I placed the order it was directly to 1900 Park Fare. I didn’t really specify what I wanted but they did only have Vanilla or Chocolate and just whatever heading you wanted on it.
I just asked them to put “Happy Mothers Day” on it with my wifes name and “Mommy” on it.
It was fabulous, In fact we gave some to the party that sat at our same table for take home and I wish I hadn’t !!! It was that GOOD !!! :laugh:

Sorry for the situation on the phone with them, I hope it works out… Here is the cake we gave DW for Mothers Day.
Hope it all works out for ya’ !!![/QUOTE]

Okay, I was hoping that you would say you just let them decide - I loved this cake in your TR; I wondered if you had specified the marble fondant, it looks so good! I have a call into Pat, from the GF Bakery, I am hoping to get taken care of soon…maybe just some mickey balloons and happy birthday and his name…surely they can do that?!

BTW, did you pay more than the $32.50 I was quoted for an 8"? (plus tax and gratuity, of course)

That was the price ($32.50) that is the 8" in the picture. This was there basic cake(all they offered) , I really didn’t ask for one flavor…and they marbled it. I was pleasantly suprised. They had it in the fridge, so when they brought it out it had the nice cool outer hardness and the wonderful soft white inside … NOW i’m getting hungry talking about it.:laugh: It was good!!! and it went well with the umpteen pounds of Prime Rib I ate with it !!! :laugh:

That cake looks delicious!!

WALL,
That does look great, and it has encouraged me that a “standard” cake is pretty nice in my book…the CM just left me flat.

I dont know how old your son is but I ordered Madison a cake for Ohanas. It was $15 and it was the one on the website that was in a princess jewerly box. They also have one thats pirates also…

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;985212]WALL,
That does look great, and it has encouraged me that a “standard” cake is pretty nice in my book…the CM just left me flat.[/QUOTE]

I totally understand … I think I could have been talking to the baker when I called . It didn’t take long on the phone and all I gave him was just a CC to reserve. I know it’s nice to have someone on the other end of the phone who is courteous and realizes that this is a business.

We ordered a cake a few years ago, I think it was 2005, from the “cake hotline” for my DS’s birthday and my friend’s father who were both celebrating the first day of our trip.

We had a choice of chocolate or vanilla cake and icing and what we wanted written on it. That’s it. It was TO DIE FOR! The best mass-bakery style chocolate cake ever!

I do not remember exactly how much it was but I do remember we were over charged for it. We we brought it to their attention, they actually took the whole cake off the bill.

Before arriving at Ohana that night, as instructed, I confirmed the cake by phone. Here’s a picture:

Yes, I forgot to mention this…I did speak with a baker directly about the cake as well. I remember because I could hear “kitchen noises” in the background lol

Man … We are going to have to start a thread “Cake Pics” ! :laugh:

Jen … that’s a good looking cake too !!!

I'm Getting Hungry !!!!!!!   :laugh:

(Here’s the secret: the cake is really for ME - my son would be happy with a cupcake, but I am too excited and want a nice cake.) I’m just glad I am able to admit it!:wub::wub:

[QUOTE=Jen;985219]We ordered a cake a few years ago, I think it was 2005, from the “cake hotline” for my DS’s birthday and my friend’s father who were both celebrating the first day of our trip.

We had a choice of chocolate or vanilla cake and icing and what we wanted written on it. That’s it. It was TO DIE FOR! The best mass-bakery style chocolate cake ever!

I do not remember exactly how much it was but I do remember we were over charged for it. We we brought it to their attention, they actually took the whole cake off the bill.

Before arriving at Ohana that night, as instructed, I confirmed the cake by phone. Here’s a picture:[/QUOTE]

That looks SO Yummy! Okay, okay, I get it, it’s Disney, It’s going to be great!

Just make sure it has that gold plate thingy underneath it !!!:laugh:

• then you know it’s Disney !!!

You have learned one of the most important lessons in life: You have to ask for what you want. :laugh: