California Grill will be closing by early Feb 2013

This is true, although the date has been pushed back from the beginning of January. California Grill will be closing for 6 to 9 months while they do what is described to me by several CMs as a total gut and rebuild.
Part of this will be an all new and slightly enlarged slightly more traditional sushi bar. The on stage kitchen will remain.
But sadly, California Grill’s head sushi chef Yoshi will be retiring after the first of the year. This means that even if they can keep the rest of the restaurant’s staff together and bring them all back when they reopen, one of the stars will be gone. Good thing that the rest of the sushi chefs have all been apprenticing under Yoshi. It’s assumed that her hand picked successor will measure up.

Now, this also means that the Contemporary’s observation decks will be totally off limits to guests for the duration. This makes sense because the extensive project will see the restaurant getting all new glass. At the same time, they will reroof the Contemporary and undertake major refurb of the 14th floor suites.

Call me crazy, but I’m going to miss the current interior.
But we shall see what we shall see.

I also think this is a big reason why they’re going to start cracking down on guests’ guests visiting the BLT lounge during fireworks times.

Good info, thanks SG. This is a bummer. My wife and I have spent our anniversary at Cali Grill every year for the past several years and it will truly be sad to miss a year.

I have loved everything about the Cali, including the interior. I didn’t see a need for a gut, but I am not Disney.

Hopefully when it comes back it isn’t a pitiful version of its formal self. My daughter and I will miss Yoshi’s sushi for sure.

They have until 10/17/13 to complete said ‘upgrades’.

Just sayin

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1126753]They have until 10/17/13 to complete said ‘upgrades’.

Just sayin[/QUOTE]

Oh, they will.
They will.
However I’m told they will be enforcing a strict no tutus rule when they reopen.

So you mentioned sushi and I have a story for you. sometime last week, we went to Wolfgang Puck for a plate of sushi. The chef was Asian, I assume he was Japanese. I ordered some sashimi. He didn’t understand, so I showed him on the menu. He took the menu from me and proceeded to “read” it upside down. When it made no sense to him, he went into the back and never came out again. Guess where we didn’t leave any money that night

Oh my!!! :eek:

I was telling my DH the other day that the Cali Grill was closing for a refub, and how I hope when they reopen they still have the Goat Cheese Raviolis. Now my wonderful DH just informed me that he booked us a trip to Disney for my birthday in January and he was lucky enough to get a reservation during our stay so I can have them one last time. (Just incase they don’t bring them back) What a great guy I married!

Yay! How exciting! Your trip will be here before you know it!!!

I don’t recall them on last week’s menu, but the menu does change often.

What the **** is wrong with this world!!
I honestly have not had problems ordering sushi at Wolfgang Puck’s, but there’s always the possibility you’ll come across the one situation where it all goes to crap.

In fact, I think I told you over slushies about our less than stellar first waitress at Cali Grill last Sunday.
I wanted a rainbow roll, but without avocado or cucumber. I knew I’d have problems conveying my wishes to Yoshi through a third party (for good reason it turns out). I told her I’d order it directly and waitress insisted that she could do it. So I told her rainbow roll and before I could explain what I wanted, off she raced. Came back and said Yoshi wanted to know what my version was. It’s really off the rails now with waitress racing off several times before I had finished. I told her no avocado or cucumber and to fill the space with extra fake crab. She says they only use real crab and I said fine, basically I want an inside out California roll or a crab roll, just no cuc or avo. Again, she’s anticipating, not listening. Doesn’t really listen to the kinds of fish that are supposed to be on top to make it a rainbow roll.

So she goes to Yoshi who say she’ll make it, but she’s never seen a rainbow roll like this. I tell her that I got one from Yoshi in July and she starts arguing with me that Yoshi was on vacation in July. When the roll lands, I notice avocado and cucumber inside and only snapper and yellowtail on top.
Now I know why Yoshi said she never made anything like it, she hadn’t!

Fed up, I head straight for one of the floor managers who has already noticed me angrily getting up from the table as she asks me if there is a problem. I said, yes, there is a problem, and then explain what had happened. When asked how they could make this right, I said, let me just order it directly from Yoshi, as I’d intended. By the way, I never lost it or even raised my voice. As far as I was concerned, this was a speed bump that could be easily put behind all of us. What got me most was that this mistake roll was $22 worth of garbage because someone was in a hurry or was having a rough patch. I really don’t like wasting that much food.

Meanwhile, management decided to change waitresses, even though I was more than happy to finish the meal with the first waitress. And then I was embarrassed by the enhanced fawning over us in order to make sure we enjoyed our meal. But of course, everything was perfect and presented with smiles.

Did I mention that our original waitress seemed to be in a less than magic mood and looked like there were external issues on her mind. She sure didn’t look happy from the start.

Maybe I should have said inside out crab roll or California roll with no cucumber or avocado?:confused:

“If you don’t like wasting food so much, why didn’t you just pull out the parts you didn’t like?”
If I had, it would have destroyed the roll and I still wouldn’t have the salmon and tuna I’d asked for.

I’m only posting this because I’m sure the question will be asked.
It’s a logical thought.

SG, I know nothing about sushi, I’m more of a peanut butter and jelly type person. But what normally goes into a rainbow roll?

A normal Rainbow roll is basically a California roll, which itself is an inside out crab roll with cucumber and avocado added to the crab (usually surimi - fake crab sticks). Rolled inside out, this puts the seaweed inside and the rice outside. On top of the rice you place a variety of fish. Usually this is salmon, tuna, yellowtail, snapper, and often shrimp. Sometimes sesame seeds and/or smelt roe (little orange fish eggs) are sprinkled over the top. Fish can change, depending on what’s available and what you like. Some people would like octopus and eel. Eel is OK as it’s cooked and coated with a sauce. Octopus and conch tend to be too chewy for my liking.
All I wanted of course, was no avocado and no cucumber in the middle with everything else rolled as normal.

near the end of of this trip,and the new trip countdown clock begins in earnest

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1126865]A normal Rainbow roll is basically a California roll, which itself is an inside out crab roll with cucumber and avocado added to the crab (usually surimi - fake crab sticks). Rolled inside out, this puts the seaweed inside and the rice outside. On top of the rice you place a variety of fish. Usually this is salmon, tuna, yellowtail, snapper, and often shrimp. Sometimes sesame seeds and/or smelt roe (little orange fish eggs) are sprinkled over the top. Fish can change, depending on what’s available and what you like. Some people would like octopus and eel. Eel is OK as it’s cooked and coated with a sauce. Octopus and conch tend to be too chewy for my liking.
All I wanted of course, was no avocado and no cucumber in the middle with everything else rolled as normal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information, but my taste buds still say,bring on the peanut butter and jelly.

don’t know how I got in this thread

Well, you posted it here.
Now it’s too late for you to go back and edit your original post to something on topic because you’ve been quoted twice:laugh:

Will our next contestant enter and sign in please:blink:

What time does the three o’clock parade start?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1126893]Well, you posted it here.
Now it’s too late for you to go back and edit your original post to something on topic because you’ve been quoted twice:laugh:

Will our next contestant enter and sign in please:blink:[/QUOTE]

it is nice to be quoted,right am I right

4 o’clock what are you dumb or something!!!