Calling all Disney Land fans!

Hello All! As a new Dvc member I am excited to try all the new places in my book. So today while at work I was thinking what my 7 year old said to me while getting ready for school. She wanted to go somewhere other than FL. Well… I can meet her in the middle. Im not kicking Disney out of my life so why not try Disney Land. So… I have a zillion and 1 questions and who better to ask than all my MB friends… So here goes and please excuse me as I know NOTHING about DL…
What hotel ON property and why??? What hotel has the Tinkerbell soap??(im serious)
Does Dl offer ME? DDP? Is it ALOT different than DW?? Will I need a rental car?? Do they offer Disney transportation??? Which airport to fly into from Philly? I called DVC and Easter week is avail for all 3 hotels. Should I hold off till Memorial week?? What places should I try for dining with kids?? Do they have character meals?? and any other question you may have the answer to that I didnt ask… Thanks so much everyone!!!

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;910442]
What hotel ON property and why??? What hotel has the Tinkerbell soap??(im serious)
Does Dl offer ME? DDP? Is it ALOT different than DW?? Will I need a rental car?? Do they offer Disney transportation??? Which airport to fly into from Philly? I called DVC and Easter week is avail for all 3 hotels. Should I hold off till Memorial week?? What places should I try for dining with kids?? Do they have character meals?? and any other question you may have the answer to that I didnt ask… Thanks so much everyone!!![/QUOTE]

Well, as you know, you can use your DVC points at any of the on-site Disneyland resort hotels & there are different room categories. So honestly, as far as a place to stay, it REALLY depends on how many points you want to use & at what time of the year. If you are accustomed to staying at ‘deluxe’ resorts in WDW than the Grand Californian is the closest experience to that, if not even nicer. It’s a peaceful, gorgeous, casually sophisticated hotel that offers direct entry into the California Adventure park, a couple GREAT dining options, a GRAND lobby, & beautiful rooms.

My second choice is always the Disneyland Hotel. It’s slightly less points than the Grand and I personally think it has one of the coolest Disney pools ever! The rooms aren’t as ‘deluxe’ as the Grand but they are themed to a tee & comfortable. The property of this hotel has a lot to do on it’s own & it’s the original classic. I’ve stayed there 3 times & never had a bad experience.

I personally, and this is just my opinion, refuse to stay at Paradise Pier. I’ve only been in the hotel once & was just turned off by it’s mild theming, ‘cheap’ design, & personally if you were going to go that route I’d probably pick a different non-Disney hotel on ‘the Disneyland strip’ first. Just not worth my DVC points in my opinion.

That being said, there is no Magical Express per say but getting to Disneyland isn’t complicated. If you are ONLY visiting Disneyland and not going anywhere else in SoCal don’t bother with a rental car; it will just sit at the hotel’s lot. We use the blue ‘Super Shuttle’ that picks you up directly at LAX airport & brings you to the door of your hotel. Welcome to SuperShuttle.com I can’t remember exactly what the cost was but it was not as expensive as I had expected. I wanna say it was around $60. roundtrip for Daniel & I, including tip. We got there fast and it was direct to Disneyland. If you plan on visiting other locations in SoCal, then yeah, a rental car would be wise.

As far as food goes, I sware on my life that the quality of food is WAY better in Disneyland than in WDW. Even most counter service locations have healtier options that are delicious & you can tell a lot of locally grown produce & freshness is appreciated. With younger girls I DEFINATELY think you should try “Ariel’s Grotto;” it’s an awesome princess character meal & the food is good. Another great character meal is Goofy’s Kitchen (like Chef Mickey’s with better food & a less hectic atmosphere), and Storyteller’s Cafe in the Grand Californian has a GREAT breafast. Another quintisential ‘Disneyland first-timer’ restaurant to try is “Blue Bayou.” It’s located right ‘on the bayou’ where you can watch the PotC boats float by, fireflies lighting up the dim atmosphere, & the desserts are pretty awesome.

There is NO dining plan like WDW’s but there is some sort of ‘meal voucher’ program you can purchase. I have never heard anyone use it, I’ve never used it myself, and from what I’ve read it’s pretty much a waste of time & money. You would be smarter to choose dining locations that offer a DVC member discount, which you can find on your member website. :happy:

Once you are on Disneyland property you REALLY don’t need transportation. I can literally walk from one corner of Tomorrowland in Disneyland park all the way to the farthest corner of the Disneyland Hotel in about 15-20 minutes. In retrospect, you get A LOT more ‘done’ in your day versus WDW b/c you aren’t wasting time on buses, boats, trams, etc. There is a monorail that runs from DtD direct into Tomorrowland (smart to use when you want to ride Nemo first thing in the morning), it’s fun to ride b/c it’s an original & so cool but you can honestly walk anywhere in Disneyland in less than 20 minutes. I love that.

I think I covered all your questions. :laugh: Oh, and I have no clue what you are referring to with the Tinkerbell soaps; they have cute Disney soaps but I’ve never seen Tinkerbell. OH, and as far as airports go I ALWAYS fly into LAX. People are going to tell you that John Wayne airport is closer & easier, YES IT IS, but anytime that I’ve checked the airfare to fly into John Wayne from Newark it’s nearly double. :pinch: So I always get the better rates to LAX.

I hope you decide to go! I grew up ‘WDW’ and absolutely fell in LOVE with Disneyland in my 20’s. There’s nothing like it & they currently have the most AMAZING Disney fireworks show EVER; “Remember Dreams Come True.”

Keep us updated!

I will add that Allears has a REALLY informative, basic, & helpful guide to Disneyland. It really helped me out during our first couple of ‘on-site’ trips & I still visit it often to look at menus, etc.

Disneyland Resort

Thanks sooooooo much for the info!!! I’m going to look at the links ya sent when I get home…right now I’m sitting in trafic…thanks again!

Jess… Thanks so much… I just re read everything… Im looking at May 16th 24th. I figure the 16th is for flying and the 24 is for flying so that wil give me 7 whole days. Is that enough??? I think Im going to go with the Disney land hotel. Im not into big and fancy. Remember… Im the value resort gal… :laugh: Im excited. The tickets seem to be cheap. Im going to give it to the kids in their easter baskets. Do the accept Disney dollars in DL? So how far is LAx?? I think thats where we are flying into… I checked Spirit air and it was $991 for 3 of us RT. Im going to keep looking. I have the b1g1 free from Tmobile coming to me so I want to look into that. I will without a doubt be going to Ariels. HOw much should I budget for food and things for 7 whole days? More that $1000??? I have sooo many DVC pts I think I may try the concerige catagory. Is it worth it or should I get a basic room??

Does anyone know anything about the SO Cali City pass?? I just seen on the DL site that it includes universal studios hollywood, sea world and 3 days in DL. Something about the zoo also. Anyone ever tried this???

If you choose to go this route you will absolutely need a rental car. Two of those three venues are in San Diego.

We’ve been during that time in May and it was beautiful weather, the crowds were a little high BUT we’ve been going to Disneyland in May/June for 5 years now & it’s never a problem. ESPECIALLY if you get out there EARLY, rest in the late afternoon, & stay out later (Disneyland park is usually open until midnight around those dates).

If you aren’t into big & fancy use your DVC points at the Disneyland Hotel. It’s SO cute, Disney theming is EVERYWHERE, the pool is awesome, you’ll have two of the BEST Disneyland restaurants right at your hotel, and you are right next to DtD & the monorail.

Seven days is A LOT, I would never say you’d be ‘bored’ but we’ve done 5 days in Disneyland and it was way plenty for me. Perhaps you MIGHT consider getting that city pass, a rental car, and using a couple days at those other attractions. It would be more costly but with 7 fulls days I don’t think you’d be missing out on anything.

It generally takes about 35-40 minutes to get from LAX to Disneyland; it’s been shorter & longer depending on traffic but that’s definately the average for us. When we drive ourselves we seem to get there faster but the Super Shuttle may take about 40 minutes. It’s really not a bad drive at all.

I really don’t know what to suggest as far as spending money goes. :pinch: We are two adults with no children so I am sure what we bring could be vastly different than what you may spend in a day. That Allears page has restaurant menus so you can get a rough food budget from that. Spending money I’d say right around what you’d spend in WDW, similar merchandise but since it’s your first time in DL you may buy more.

PS: I know you said you have A LOT of DVC points to spend. If they are developer points I say go for the best category you can get. :laugh: Developer Points have to be used by a certain time so it may be worth it to get your points worth.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;910495]We’ve been during that time in May and it was beautiful weather, the crowds were a little high BUT we’ve been going to Disneyland in May/June for 5 years now & it’s never a problem. ESPECIALLY if you get out there EARLY, rest in the late afternoon, & stay out later (Disneyland park is usually open until midnight around those dates).

If you aren’t into big & fancy use your DVC points at the Disneyland Hotel. It’s SO cute, Disney theming is EVERYWHERE, the pool is awesome, you’ll have two of the BEST Disneyland restaurants right at your hotel, and you are right next to DtD & the monorail.

Seven days is A LOT, I would never say you’d be ‘bored’ but we’ve done 5 days in Disneyland and it was way plenty for me. Perhaps you MIGHT consider getting that city pass, a rental car, and using a couple days at those other attractions. It would be more costly but with 7 fulls days I don’t think you’d be missing out on anything.

It generally takes about 35-40 minutes to get from LAX to Disneyland; it’s been shorter & longer depending on traffic but that’s definately the average for us. When we drive ourselves we seem to get there faster but the Super Shuttle may take about 40 minutes. It’s really not a bad drive at all.

I really don’t know what to suggest as far as spending money goes. :pinch: We are two adults with no children so I am sure what we bring could be vastly different than what you may spend in a day. That Allears page has restaurant menus so you can get a rough food budget from that. Spending money I’d say right around what you’d spend in WDW, similar merchandise but since it’s your first time in DL you may buy more.

PS: I know you said you have A LOT of DVC points to spend. If they are developer points I say go for the best category you can get. :laugh: Developer Points have to be used by a certain time so it may be worth it to get your points worth.[/QUOTE] I have just used my developer pts for my Dec stay. I have 287 left after that. I rentes out 8. I really don’t think I’m going to wdw next year so what I think I may do is book DL hotel with the view you had (I’m rereading your TR)… I may pass on the city pass. I’m afraid of getting lost. I DO want to order the kids some sprinkle cupcakes. Do you know a link where I can find info on the meal vouchers?

What hotel ON property and why???[/QUOTE]

The Grand Californian is, as Wish stated, Grand!! :wub: Seriously, if you can afford to stay there, do so. It’s actually the best of the three, and has access directly to California Adventure…

It’s much more compact… No busses per se, with everything within walking distance… A few rides not found in WDW, such as the Matterhorn, Pinnochio, and the Buzz Lightyear is much cooler!

You won’t necessarily need a rental car, especially if you’re staying on Disney property. There is transportation to and from the airport, and LAX is probably the cheapest, though Orange County or Long Beach airports are nearby…

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;910442] What places should I try for dining with kids?? Do they have character meals?? ??[/QUOTE] Storyteller’s Cafe is the best, there are character meals, a lot depends on their ages…

Jess… Thanks so much… I just re read everything… Im looking at May 16th 24th. I figure the 16th is for flying and the 24 is for flying so that wil give me 7 whole days. Is that enough???[/QUOTE] Seven days is more than enough, and you will have time to go to both parks, as well as go to San Diego if you wish to do Sea World or other non disney activities…

Do the accept Disney dollars in DL? So how far is LAx???[/QUOTE]

They do accept Disney Dollars in Disneyland, and it is about 35 miles between LAX and Disneyland…

$1,000.00 is more than enough to feed a family for seven days, especially since there are numerous restaurants within walking distance that aren’t overly expensive…

I’ve heard that the concierge category is well worth the difference.

Hope this helps… :pirate:

The TR you were reading we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel in a “pool view” room, which was AWESOME, cause you could also see part of DtD. I believe we were in the “Magic Tower.” (there are 3 different towers).

The Sprinkles Cupcake thing was a little sticky, before that delivery I had only visited Sprinkles in person; the Beverly Hills store. That specific store does NOT deliver all the way to Anaheim but the Newport Beach bakery does, you have to contact them directly. To be honest, I am not sure I want to suggest them to a first timer as a deliverly. They are best when ABSOLUTELY fresh from the bakery counter & delivery is VERY expensive. I seriously spent $75. for 12 cupcakes & the delivery fees. I excused this luxury because it was my 30th birthday, our 5 year wedding anniversary, and our 1st time in SoCal without a rental car so I couldn’t go get them myself. They are ABSOLUTELY the best bakery cupcakes I’ve ever had; even though I am an east coast loyal, they are WAY better than Magnolia in NYC. :pinch: Also know that they are VERY fussy about deliveries :pinch:; they only offer certain flavors of cupcakes on certain days, can only deliver to certain zip codes on specified days, and their customer service can be hard to contact. :pinch:

If you get a rental car GO in person! If you REALLY want them delivered this is their website ::: Sprinkles Cupcakes ::: & the Newport Beach bakery can be contacted at 949-760-0003.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;910507]The TR you were reading we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel in a “pool view” room, which was AWESOME, cause you could also see part of DtD. I believe we were in the “Magic Tower.” (there are 3 different towers).

The Sprinkles Cupcake thing was a little sticky, before that delivery I had only visited Sprinkles in person; the Beverly Hills store. That specific store does NOT deliver all the way to Anaheim but the Newport Beach bakery does, you have to contact them directly. To be honest, I am not sure I want to suggest them to a first timer as a deliverly. They are best when ABSOLUTELY fresh from the bakery counter & delivery is VERY expensive. I seriously spent $75. for 12 cupcakes & the delivery fees. I excused this luxury because it was my 30th birthday, our 5 year wedding anniversary, and our 1st time in SoCal without a rental car so I couldn’t go get them myself. They are ABSOLUTELY the best bakery cupcakes I’ve ever had; even though I am an east coast loyal, they are WAY better than Magnolia in NYC. :pinch: Also know that they are VERY fussy about deliveries :pinch:; they only offer certain flavors of cupcakes on certain days, can only deliver to certain zip codes on specified days, and their customer service can be hard to contact. :pinch:

If you get a rental car GO in person! If you REALLY want them delivered this is their website ::: Sprinkles Cupcakes ::: & the Newport Beach bakery can be contacted at 949-760-0003.[/QUOTE]
Thanks soooooooo much for all the helpful info. I didn’t know sprinkles was sooo much. I think I may pass on that. The reason I’m doing 9 days 7 full days is because I don’t want to go back to work in the middle of a week. I figure I’m sooo crazy in wdw with getting up early and out the door I think I want to be able to take it all in. IF I get the city pass how far is sworld and all???

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;910505]The Grand Californian is, as Wish stated, Grand!! :wub: Seriously, if you can afford to stay there, do so. It’s actually the best of the three, and has access directly to California Adventure…

It’s much more compact… No busses per se, with everything within walking distance… A few rides not found in WDW, such as the Matterhorn, Pinnochio, and the Buzz Lightyear is much cooler!

You won’t necessarily need a rental car, especially if you’re staying on Disney property. There is transportation to and from the airport, and LAX is probably the cheapest, though Orange County or Long Beach airports are nearby…

Storyteller’s Cafe is the best, there are character meals, a lot depends on their ages…

Seven days is more than enough, and you will have time to go to both parks, as well as go to San Diego if you wish to do Sea World or other non disney activities…

They do accept Disney Dollars in Disneyland, and it is about 35 miles between LAX and Disneyland…

$1,000.00 is more than enough to feed a family for seven days, especially since there are numerous restaurants within walking distance that aren’t overly expensive…

I’ve heard that the concierge category is well worth the difference.

Hope this helps… :pirate:[/QUOTE]
That helps out a lot! Thank you! I’m thinking about the city pass but am undecided.

Does anyone know how far SD airport is from DL?

it took us about an hour and a half…I think about 90 miles maybe?

It’s about 90 miles or so.

If you drive, it’s about an hour and a half to almost two hours.

If you fly, it’s a half hour flight, but you add the wait time at the airport.

Another option, however, is that you take a cab to the Anaheim Station three blocks east of Disneyland, and you can take the train to San Diego…

It’s much more relaxing… :wub:

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;910801]It’s about 90 miles or so.

If you drive, it’s about an hour and a half to almost two hours.

If you fly, it’s a half hour flight, but you add the wait time at the airport.

Another option, however, is that you take a cab to the Anaheim Station three blocks east of Disneyland, and you can take the train to San Diego…

It’s much more relaxing… :wub:[/QUOTE]
I was thinking about flying into sd from philly but not anymore because of the hike. I just don’t understand how everything at DL is so close. I’m scared that its like WDW and I should get a rental car.

Ok…I just called DVC to book my DL resort and now I’m not sure what to choose. I do not want to go to WDW in 2009 so I’m not worried about wasting pts. I have 250 that I’m willing to do whatever with so here is my other question…should I stay at DL hotel in a dtd/pool view or should I stay at the grand with a standard and why???..just a little on us…its only me and my 2 small kids who are not picky but do want to have a great time…can we pool hop??? Anyone have pics of the inside of the grand hotel??? Thanks

Personally I think you and your kidlets would love the Disneyland Hotel, they’ll love all the Disney touches & there is so much to enjoy right at the hotel. I loved having the pool view there & like I said before… it’s the ORIGINAL Disney hotel!! :happy:

The Grand Californian is gorgeous and it’s as close to the parks as you can get but from what I’ve read from you before it seems like you and your girls would really appreciate the DL Hotel.

You really don’t have a reason to pool hop, especially if you are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. It’s a really awesome pool. The Grand Californian pool is nice, but kinda understated, it does have a view of Paradise Pier which is cool but I think whichever hotel you stay at you’ll be fine with the pool there.

There are pictures of the inside of the Grand Californian here:
Grand Californian Photo Gallery
These are room photos from the Grand:
Grand Californian Photo Gallery

Photos from Disneyland Hotel:
Disneyland Hotel Photo Gallery
Disneyland Hotel rooms: Disneyland Hotel Photo Gallery

Also, something to consider, if you have enough points to cover a concierge level stay you may want to consider it. It would cut down a little bit on your food/snack budget; continental breakfast in the morning, drinks, etc. You said you aren’t concerened about wasting points so if it were me & I had enough points to cover it I’d totally do it.