Camcorder recommendations?

We are looking to buy a digital camcorder for our next trip. We were hoping to spend less than $400 on it, but I’m wondering if there is a good one out there under that price. Does anyone have any recommendations? If you have a good one would you mind letting me know and giving me a ballpark of what I might pay? Thanks so much!!

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC38. I believe it costs around $300. It records onto DVC tapes, and you can copy the footage onto your computer using the Sony iLink cable (there are also non-Sony cables that will work). It came with a one-hour battery, which I could make last all day if I would only turn the camera on for a short period of time, then shut it back off. However, if you want to record full-length shows, you’re going to want something stronger. I recently purchased a 12-hour battery. It is amazing. It’s huge and sticks off the back of the camera, and I have to put my thumb on it when recording rollercoasters so that it doesn’t jiggle and turn the camera off, but it’s so great not having to worry about conserving battery power.

What are you looking to do with your video footage? Will you want to compile a DVD, or just have raw footage to play back on the television?

I really want to be able to make copies onto DVDs. My parents are coming along and my Grandparents want copies of our trip too. I was looking at the new Sony handycam with 80 GB hard disk drive, and see it has pretty good reviews. It costs $349. Most of the reviews I’ve read say that they wish the battery life was longer, but I could always do what you suggest and buy a bigger battery.

I don’t want one that records to disk because we got tired of having to change the disks in our old one every 20 -30 min and our disks skipped when we played them back for some reason (maybe we had a bad camera?)

I just don’t want to make a wrong decision on an expense this big, so am looking for input!

Thanks for your reply and advice, LittleMissMagic!

Well, I like the DVCs alot because they’re good for over an hour (plus if you got something you don’t like, then you can just rewind and push that off the tape… it doesn’t record over it like a videotape would, but pushes the footage back until there’s no room left on the tape and it gets deleted), and it’s easy to switch them out. You might look for a camera that records onto hard drive, though.

Yeah we’re looking into getting a Camcorder also in time for this summer. So many choices out there, gets confusing! So much to learn about! All I know is that I want longer battery life and something that films well at night. Looking forward to a lot of late nights in the Parks.

We use the Flip Video Camcorder and LOVE it!! I think it is about $200.

We use the Sony Xacti handycam, and think its superb. Its very neat and compact and easy to operate. It records on to an SD card, and is also has a still image capture feature. I believe there is an underwater one too, but ours is just the ordinary version.

We used the FLIP video on our trip last week. Love it! Very very easy to use, very compact and the FLIP share software makes managing/storing/sharing your video a snap! …and of course love the white and yellow colorway!

We have been looking into the new Kodak Playsport. Its nice and small and records to memory cards. Battery life is good and it sells for $149 you would also need a memory card a 32gb runs about $100 you get about 10 hours of video at 720p HD with 30 frames a second or you can record in 1080p HD with 60 frames a minute but only about 5 hour of filming. Then just download it to your laptop and start again. Its even waterproof up to 10 feet. Not on the market till the beginning of April. Check it out and see what you think.

I have a Kodak Zi6, and I love it! Here’s a link:

Zi6 Pocket Video Camera, Digital Video Camera, HD Video Camera - Kodak Online

the newer camcorders,the one that use sd cards to me are the best you just download them to your laptop…they give real good quality and the camcorder that I have is a canon fs100…dell right now is selling the fs200 for 289…but before making a purchase I recommend you go to a electronics store that carries a lot of them to see how they feel …the sd feature is real good…and most new laptops come with built in sd readers …the flash cards are reusable …but i always say listen to recommendations but you must truly look at them …the one i have is very compact and light

This is great! Thanks so much for the recommendations! I’m making a list of them all and heading out to Best Buy in a couple of weeks. I’m waiting for them to send me my coupon (Do they do that anymore? I spent at their store in December, did my grandparents and my parents Christmas shopping for them so got a lot of points and haven’t received a coupon yet) and then heading out shopping.

Thanks again for all the help with this.

[QUOTE=jen9804;1020947]This is great! Thanks so much for the recommendations! I’m making a list of them all and heading out to Best Buy in a couple of weeks. I’m waiting for them to send me my coupon (Do they do that anymore? I spent at their store in December, did my grandparents and my parents Christmas shopping for them so got a lot of points and haven’t received a coupon yet) and then heading out shopping.

Thanks again for all the help with this.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy does still issue rewards dollars. I think DH has gone online with our costumer number/rewards card number or whatever and has been able to print them out at home. I think.:confused::laugh: Good luck making a choice! There are so many great ones to choose from.:happy: