Camera

So since we have booked this trip in June and it’s going to be hot! I do not want to carry around my NIkon camera its big and heavy, I love my pictures from it but I need something small. ANy Ideas? Help!

We now carry only our phones. No help here.

The point and shoots are great to slip in the pocket and go. And I’ve seen some really good stuff from DVC Mike form his IPhone.

What I love is the people running around with IPads shooting pictures.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1133691]The point and shoots are great to slip in the pocket and go. And I’ve seen some really good stuff from DVC Mike form his IPhone.

What I love is the people running around with IPads shooting pictures.[/QUOTE]

…I couldn’t believe the people in the parks holding up the iPad to take pictures…and they had no cover or protection around them…nothing…one elbow and bam…I wonder how often that happens??? The iPads cost so much more than the small little point and shoots…my DD has a great one made by Olympus I think…

Since I don’t really have little kids anymore, I mostly use my iPhone, but I do have a Sony cool pix…

My wife has always carried around a big Nikon. I usually get stuck with it around my neck.

This last trip though she bought a Vera Bradley backpack that is just big enough to fit the camera. That helps.

I am like alot of others though, I only carry the iphone and the pics can turn out amazing. Plus, you can buy little clip on lenses for them to make them even better.

I’m guessing you can get a point and shoot for a buck and a half or less and the stupid thing will have a 14 megapixel resolution. Compare that to the 3.3 Mp camera I bought in 2000 for around $1,000.

What I’ve been doing is shooting both still and video with my Panasonic HD camcorder, but that’s an even bigger pain than a DSLR because it only has the hand strap. So it’s either carry it or keep it in the case and not have it ready.

My smartphone also takes high resolution pics, but the optics aren’t the best plus it’s hard for me to keep the phone steady when I’m shooting. And yes, I have pulled the phone out to take pics.

WHen I go I bring my D7000 Nikon, but only take it and a tripod out in the morning when I am by myself.

When with fam, we take my wifes Canon G7 and quite frankly for 8x10 prints it is hard to tell the difference in picture quality.

eBay has the G7 and some newer models at really good prices.

-H

Yes, and be behind a person on Safari with one of those. Nothing like having someone holding something the size of a small tv, blocking your view each time you want to see an animal. Finally, I decided she opened the rude card, and told her I would prefer to see the animals in person than on her IPad.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1133700]My wife has always carried around a big Nikon. I usually get stuck with it around my neck.

This last trip though she bought a Vera Bradley backpack that is just big enough to fit the camera. That helps.

I am like alot of others though, I only carry the iphone and the pics can turn out amazing. Plus, you can buy little clip on lenses for them to make them even better.[/QUOTE]

What is this?

The iPad thing reminds me of one night I was watching/taping Wishes at California Grill.
Someone was using their iPad to take pictures. I was close to the door and the person was to my right, toward the fireworks. It gets into the shot a few times, but doesn’t do me any harm. I just can’t fathom using something like that as a camera. They’re just so unergonomic in that mode.

i was totally complaining about the IPAD thing today! now you HAVE to wait 2 hours for the parade because if you aren’t in front, all you see is a freaking tv screen in your face.

Yes indeed…you really do…the iPads are right in your face. Don’t get me wrong…I have an iPad and love it…but I would never carry it with me in the parks much less hold the thing way up to take pictures. We kept wondering how long before words were exchanged by people in the crowd.

I asked the same question so I Googled it just now. Didn’t even know these existed. Pretty cleaver devices and actually reasonable. I found one for $69. Didn’t buy it yet, but may do so before our next trip in September.

I’m just not buying it (the concept). The phone itself costs around $100-200 to buy and perhaps $30 to build. Sure, they take decent pictures and some even do HD video, but this means that the lens for the phone’s camera is going to be a compromise. Consider the zoom feature, it’s a digital zoom because the lens itself is fixed. So, even if you put an adapter lens over the internal lens, the quality still will not really equal a purpose built camera’s lens, even the cheap cameras. Especially when you consider that telephoto and wide angle glass lenses for camcorders routinely cost upwards of $130, and that’s added to a lens that is already better than the phone.
I may be wrong, but I doubt it.
For snapshots and casual pictures, a phone camera is OK most of the time, but if you want truly stunning pictures, well…

I bought a set of 4 iPhone lenses for $79, including a wallet and mini tripod from Photojojo. They fasten on to a magnetic ring. The problem with lenses, both clip-on and magnetic is that you’re limited to what cases you can use. I had an Otterbox for my iPhone, but switched to a Lifeproof so that I could put the magnetic ring for the lenses on the case.

The quality of the iPhone 4s and 5 cameras is comparable to that of a $100-200 point and shoot camera. It does have limitations and the sensor is not good for low-lighting situations. If you plan to take a lot of photos at night, you may want to upgrade to a point and shoot with larger sensor and ISO capabilities.

Photos taken on the iPhone are good for Facebook, internet sharing, and printing in a 5x7 size. If you’re wanting more, you may want to reconsider carrying the DSLR.

DW and I usually just use our iPhone 5 at the parks but about a year ago I bought a Sony bloggie with and internal hard drive. It’s small and takes good pictures and HD video as well and it is small to just slip in your pocket. It runs about $100 to $150

LMM,

What did you use a little while back when you posted all those amazing pictures? Those were very well done and the hardware portion supported your vision on them.

-Harry

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1133833]LMM,

What did you use a little while back when you posted all those amazing pictures? Those were very well done and the hardware portion supported your vision on them.

-Harry[/QUOTE]

I have the Nikon 1 J1 which is a compact camera with interchangeable lenses. I can shoot in manual exposure and it’s very small and easy to carry. Very good for travel.

However, I have my eyes on the Nikon D7000… :ph34r:

I recently got the rebel t3i…ive debated taking it, but am thinking no. I’d use my phone but I know my battery would be shot in like 2 hours. Im thinking of getting a WiFi enabled point and shoot off hsn. I also say a camera in target that was only like 3 inches long. Its a Nikon, just dont remember the name.

For a recent Disney trip I picked up a new Nikon Coolpix for less than a hundred bucks. I couldn’t be more pleased with this camera for what it is. It is very compact, light and takes 16 megapixel pictures and with a decent memory card it stores an outrageous number. Takes decent short videos too. The rechargeable battery lasted throughout each day and quickly recharged in the evenings, I never had to use the spare battery I carried. Just don’t expect every picture to be a masterpiece and you will be surprised at the ones that are!