Can Someone Tell Me About The Villas?

So this year we are trying to decide if it’s better to stay at a resort and rent multiple rooms or one villa.

Can anyone tell me about the different villas? Which ones they like, which you dislike. Pluses and minuses? And whether you think it was worth what you paid?

Thanks!

I’m assuming by villas you are refering to Disney Vacation Club locations.

DVC units are Board Walk/Beach Club/Old Key West/Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom, and soon Bay Lake Towers. There are studios, 1 BR, 2 BR and 3 BR. The only rentals at DVC are time that members trade back for other other vacations like cruises.

You don’t want to rent villas from Disney. What you do want to do is rent points from a DVC member. There are a handful of MB members here that rent points including me. Email me with dates and the size of units you are considering and I’ll let you know the cost in points. Then compare it with what it would cost to rent the same time from Disney.

RLC@RLCarmichael.com

I have stayed at a two bedroom in OKW and a studio at both OKW and SSR. The two bedroom at OKW was perfect in my opinion. It was HUGE!! Love that resort. I didn’t get to stay in SSR two bedroom but did visit a MBer there in her’s and it was just as lovely as the OKW one, but just not quite as big. It may have just been the layout, but OKW seem bigger to me. Both would work out just fine. I like SSR a bit more as a resort. I think the layout of the grounds is a bit friendlier. You don’t feel as far away as you could at OKW far rooms. the bus systems at both resorts were awesome, but the food court at SSR is WAYYYYYYY better than OKW. It’s more of a tradional WDW food court where the OKW one is like a “stand” you would find in a park. Again, both resorts are lovely. You won’t go wrong with either in my opinion.

Stacey, I would absolutely stay in a villa, if given the choice. I like having a washer and dryer in my room, a full-size fridge to store drinks and snacks for the kids, as well as a full kitchen, if we want to eat in our room. It’s nice to be able to put the kids in bed, then go in our room, close the door, and get a break. The whirlpool tubs are nice to have after a long day in the parks, and the feeling that I am in a “home” and not a hotel room.

The only downside I can find with staying DVC (rented points or as a member) is that there is not daily mousekeeping. Hence, the washer and dryer come in handy!

Once again, I would highly recommend staying in a villa versus just multiple hotel rooms. Try to rent points, it’s much better financially, as well.

Agreed, rent the points from a member, don’t book through Disney. They are soooo overpriced on the villas.

Here’s a good example.

I am staying in a 3bdr grand villa at AKL this December (sleeps 12), and while its costing me quite a few points, its not nearly as much as the $12,000 rack rate Disney charges for that unit for a week!

I think the going rate is between $10-$15 per point, not sure since I’ve never rented mine. But if you were to say $12 a point, that 3bdr would cost you $5,280 to rent from a DVC member instead of $12,000 from Disney.

Its a steal!

If price is an issue (and when isn’t it) we’ve always found that two resort rooms at a moderate are much cheaper than a villa at a deluxe. We always travel as a family of 5 along with my parents, 7 total. I would rather use the extra money to make the stay longer, but if money wasn’t an issue, then I would love to try a villa at a deluxe.
I’m still sketchy about how to rent points and it does make me nervous that it is done person to person instead of through a company. If I get more comfortable with it, I just might take the plunge!

[QUOTE=MickeyMcFizzle;938916]Agreed, rent the points from a member, don’t book through Disney. They are soooo overpriced on the villas.

Here’s a good example.

I am staying in a 3bdr grand villa at AKL this December (sleeps 12), and while its costing me quite a few points, its not nearly as much as the $12,000 rack rate Disney charges for that unit for a week!

I think the going rate is between $10-$15 per point, not sure since I’ve never rented mine. But if you were to say $12 a point, that 3bdr would cost you $5,280 to rent from a DVC member instead of $12,000 from Disney.

Its a steal![/QUOTE]

That is INCREDIBLY helpful. Thank you very much! ^.^

Thank you everyone you have given me so much information that will really help! I’m thinking renting points and getting a villa might be the way to go!

[QUOTE=b1wife;938914]Stacey, I would absolutely stay in a villa, if given the choice. I like having a washer and dryer in my room, a full-size fridge to store drinks and snacks for the kids, as well as a full kitchen, if we want to eat in our room. It’s nice to be able to put the kids in bed, then go in our room, close the door, and get a break. The whirlpool tubs are nice to have after a long day in the parks, and the feeling that I am in a “home” and not a hotel room.

The only downside I can find with staying DVC (rented points or as a member) is that there is not daily mousekeeping. Hence, the washer and dryer come in handy!

Once again, I would highly recommend staying in a villa versus just multiple hotel rooms. Try to rent points, it’s much better financially, as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, you make some great points! haha. Letting the kids sleep in their room and being able to get other things down before you are ready for bed, or just getting to sleep in your own room will definitely be nice. And also, my family is basically like three familys (my brother and his wife and kids, my sister her husband and baby, and then my parents and my other brother.) So I think it will be nice to have one villa with seperate rooms, rather the different hotel rooms. I think it’ll feel like we’re spending more time together while still having our space! haha.

Washer and dryer<333 haha. With kids, it’s great. Also with towels and everything.

I do have a question though, does housekeeping come at all?

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;938948]

I do have a question though, does housekeeping come at all?[/QUOTE]

They come on, I think, the 4th day to take out the trash and switch out towels. On the 7th day, again, I think, they do a full cleaning.

Back in 2006, me, my wife, and my family (8 people in total, including us) stayed in a 2-bedroom villa at Disney’s Boardwalk. We all really enjoyed our stay there. It was an easy division of splitting the costs, and it was a very nice resort…inside and out. Our villa was set up with the main bedroom on one side, the kitchen/living room in the middle (with a foldout bed in the couch), and then the second bedroom with 2 queen beds on the third side.

The kitchen/living room wasn’t huge, but it met our needs. Our room happened to overlook the pool area, which was fine. (It certainly beat a view of the woods or parking lot.)

From the Boardwalk Villas, we could either take boat transportation to Epcot or Hollywood Studios (or we could walk) or we could take bus transportation to any of the parks, water parks, and Downtown Disney as well.

My main grief with the place was the long walk down to the Boardwalk Bakery, which is the location where you would get your refillable resort mugs and where you’d get them filled. I also didn’t care for the way they handled refilling your mug. Instead of you getting to do it yourself, you had to hand your mug over and let someone else do it for you. I just prefer to do it myself in case I change my mind and decide to go with something else. Also, my wife and I spend most of our time at the Magic Kingdom…so the Boardwalk Villas were pretty far away from it, that was another drawback (just a personal preference) for us.