Can they say this?

My SIL is going to Disney for a conference and she said she was staying on property. I asked which resort and she said Holiday Inn. I told her that its not a Disney property, but she said they said it was. So, I just Googled it, and low and behold…look at what they say:

[B]Welcome to the Holiday Inn Hotel in the Walt Disney World® Resort

This official Walt Disney World® hotel is fresh from a $35 million top-to-bottom makeover, making it the perfect place to stay during your vacation to the Walt Disney World® Resort. [/B]

How in the world can they say they are an “official Walt Disney World hotel?” That’s lying. Or, am I missing something?

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1131946]My SIL is going to Disney for a conference and she said she was staying on property. I asked which resort and she said Holiday Inn. I told her that its not a Disney property, but she said they said it was. So, I just Googled it, and low and behold…look at what they say:

This official Walt Disney World® hotel is fresh from a $35 million top-to-bottom makeover, making it the perfect place to stay during your vacation to the Walt Disney World® Resort. [/B]

How in the world can they say they are an “official Walt Disney World hotel?” That’s lying. Or, am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

hmmm…well the Best Western in the Downtown area of WDW says it’s a Walt Disney Resort too…it certainly is deceiving. It is on Disney Property but not Disney owned…people who don’t research don’t know. We didn’t realize at first way back when. Once we found out that the bus service was sporatic and the Disney magic was missing—we decided it wasn’t worth what we saved by staying there.

I can’t imagine they could say it without Disney’s permission. That’s the kind of thing that would have the Mickey Police jumping all over them. It is deceiving though. I seem to remember they used to advertise them as “A Downtown Disney Resort”…but this makes it seem like it’s right in WDW…hmmm

They’re contracted, just like Swan, Dolphin, Shades of Green and a couple others (some not open to everyone). It’s not WDW owned but it is on property and eligible to some of the Disney perks. How much depends on how much they want to pay in contract negotiations. Swolphin obviously pays a bundle to be incl in WDW bus system. The others pay a smaller fee and they have their own buses but under contract Disney provides them a designated bus stop. Only a few enjoy EMH, package delivery etc., but only Disney “owned” offers DDP.

I didn’t know that any of the DTD hotels were afforded EMH!!!..this is the first that I have heard of that.

Yes, only 1 of those-

EXTRA MAGIC HOUR, a program that allows you to visit a particular theme park or water park on a designated day beyond regularly scheduled operating hours, is offered ONLY to guests staying at:

– Walt Disney World-owned resorts
– Walt Disney World Dolphin & Swan Resorts
– Hilton Resort at Downtown Disney
– Shades of Green

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1131960]Yes, only 1 of those-

EXTRA MAGIC HOUR, a program that allows you to visit a particular theme park or water park on a designated day beyond regularly scheduled operating hours, is offered ONLY to guests staying at:

– Walt Disney World-owned resorts
– Walt Disney World Dolphin & Swan Resorts
– Hilton Resort at Downtown Disney
– Shades of Green[/QUOTE]

…Never knew this! :closedeye

They are a “Good Neighbor” hotel.

That’s interesting. It’s not a phrase I really hear with the WDW hotels, but it’s all over the Disneyland website… they even direct you to them from the official. site! I didn’t know it was used in Florida.

Tricky language usage for sure!

It’s not the same concept in Florida. Good neighbors hotels are all over the place on I4 and Bronson Memorial Hwy. The label good neighbor in florida means Disney approves them and they are allowed to sell Disney tickets. Other than that, you are not getting the Disney experience…I stayed in one the first time I drove down there - NEVER again.

All the Hotel Row hotels are “inside WDW” because they are on Disney land inside the border of the entire property. At this point, Shades of Green is 100% owned and operated by the Department of Defense with no actual ties to Disney. As noted, only Swolphin are served by Disney Transport, but those two hotels have always had a special relationship with Disney, especially with regards to their location on Crescent Lake and the proximity to Disney’s own resorts.

They are what’s called a Good Neighbor, so on the up and up with Disney but not an official Disney resort.

This not something new. The hotels are on ground leases from Walt Disney World. Some of them have been in existence since the mid to late 70’s, in what has become Downtown Disney. Back then the shopping district was called Lake Buena Vista.

So saying “in Walt Disney World”, or even “on-property” is factually correct.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1131946]My SIL is going to Disney for a conference and she said she was staying on property. I asked which resort and she said Holiday Inn. I told her that its not a Disney property, but she said they said it was. So, I just Googled it, and low and behold…look at what they say:

How in the world can they say they are an “official Walt Disney World hotel?” That’s lying. Or, am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gatour;1132823]This not something new. The hotels are on ground leases from Walt Disney World. Some of them have been in existence since the mid to late 70’s, in what has become Downtown Disney. Back then the shopping district was called Lake Buena Vista.

So saying “in Walt Disney World”, or even “on-property” is factually correct.[/QUOTE]

…but what they are saying here is that they are a Walt Disney World Resort…they are not…there is a difference and it’s wrong to market the Holiday Inn as such…it is on property but it is not a Walt Disney World Resort…

At least they used the little “R” trademark symbol after Walt Disney World. lol

I guess i’m in the minority here because I don’t see the problem. They are on property, so they are In the WDW Resort. No different than when Dolphin/Swan advertises being on property and no one ever questions those. I’m sure Disney has watchdogs out for this sort of thing, especially right in there own back yard and it they don’t have a problem with it then it should be ok. If they did I would think they would force HI to change their advertising, right? :whistling

The Disney website lists the Dolphin and Swan as the last in their list of resorts–possibly because they have had strict contract and guidelines with these two since they were built on the property. The hotels in the Downtown Disney area have been built on land owned by Disney but do not share the same amenities as the Swan and Dolphin…and most of them have changed owners more times than I can remember…

What I am saying is that I think that it’s unfair for those hotels to portray themselves as “Disney Resorts” even if they can—because you and I know that they do not have all the same amenities as the others—but people who have never been before or who don’t do research have no idea. It’s just my personal opinion— I don’t even think that Swan and Dolphin are true Disney resorts—and I’ve stayed there for business—

We stayed in that downtown circle twice in our early visits, (before I realized what I was missing) and although they were good hotels, they do not have the Disney atmosphere, nor the same bus service. :closedeye

[QUOTE=smallworld;1132828]The Disney website lists the Dolphin and Swan as the last in their list of resorts–possibly because they have had strict contract and guidelines with these two since they were built on the property. The hotels in the Downtown Disney area have been built on land owned by Disney but do not share the same amenities as the Swan and Dolphin…and most of them have changed owners more times than I can remember…

What I am saying is that I think that it’s unfair for those hotels to portray themselves as “Disney Resorts” even if they can—because you and I know that they do not have all the same amenities as the others—but people who have never been before or who don’t do research have no idea. It’s just my personal opinion— I don’t even think that Swan and Dolphin are true Disney resorts—and I’ve stayed there for business—

We stayed in that downtown circle twice in our early visits, (before I realized what I was missing) and although they were good hotels, they do not have the Disney atmosphere, nor the same bus service. :closedeye[/QUOTE]

I agree - it’s never going to fool Disney “Fan”-atics like us - but it could fool a lot of people who don’t have a clue about what WDW is (hard as that is to believe, for us).

[QUOTE=smallworld;1132828]The Disney website lists the Dolphin and Swan as the last in their list of resorts–possibly because they have had strict contract and guidelines with these two since they were built on the property. The hotels in the Downtown Disney area have been built on land owned by Disney but do not share the same amenities as the Swan and Dolphin…and most of them have changed owners more times than I can remember…

We stayed in that downtown circle twice in our early visits, (before I realized what I was missing) and although they were good hotels, they do not have the Disney atmosphere, nor the same bus service. :closedeye[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, Amenities. Gotcha. No wonder I feel “at home” when i’m at SoG, they have them all (or currently in the process of). :laugh:

I get what your saying though. I guess it doesn’t bother me if i’m in WDW owned or not so long as i’m on property and being treated the same regardless what name is on the front of the building. But then again having stayed at different resorts on/off site from Value/Deluxe to plain old hotel I know the Disney difference whereas 1st timers wouldn’t.
If the right price is enough to get them there the 1st time, hopefully the right view will bring them back :wink:.