Can you still take on your own

BEER?? In the past we have taken some of our own beer onto the cruise. Can you still do that??

If it’s in a carry-on, it will definitely be confiscated (you go through the cruise line’s version of airport security before boarding the ship). However, you might be able to smuggle some into your checked luggage. I don’t think this practice is encouraged.

Actually last time we did it, we were told it was ok by one of the reservation people. We were told that it had to go in the bags that they take on the ship. We actually put the beer in our bags right before we handed to the baggage handlers, so definitely not smuggled, so at least at that time, it was ok! I just don’t want to take it on if it is not ok. We don’t take alot, just some, saves a little.

I have never been on a Disney cruise but I have cruised several other lines. They used to be lax about alcohol in your luggage, but not any more. The hard economic times have hit everyone. Liquor is how the cruise lines make a profit. They have now taken to checking all the bags and confiscating all alcoholic beverages.

If you want to take the chance on being embarrassed by being called in for having beer in your suitcase, then go ahead. Personally, it isn’t worth it to me, besides the fact that I would be showing my kids that I was sneaking and breaking the rules.

I agree… the cruises have gotten to be priced so low now that they probably really count on the liquor money to stay afloat… LOL!!! “Stay afloat!” Pahahahaha…

Seriously, though, they budget for the liquor expense. I htink you sort of have to just grin and bear it – realizing that cruises are expensive.

[QUOTE=ddoll;955813]I have never been on a Disney cruise but I have cruised several other lines. They used to be lax about alcohol in your luggage, but not any more. The hard economic times have hit everyone. Liquor is how the cruise lines make a profit. They have now taken to checking all the bags and confiscating all alcoholic beverages.

If you want to take the chance on being embarrassed by being called in for having beer in your suitcase, then go ahead. Personally, it isn’t worth it to me, besides the fact that I would be showing my kids that I was sneaking and breaking the rules.[/QUOTE]

First of all I was not trying to sneak and break the rules! Disney Cruiseline in the past LET people bring wine and beer on!! All I was asking is if it was STILL ok!!! I did not want to do it if it WAS NOT!!!

Secondly, I just got off with someone from Disney Cruiseline reservations and she stated that it is ok to bring on both wine and beer but needs to be in your carry on so it does not break. It’s not like I am bringing on cases or anything, we wanted to maybe grab a 12 pack for the 7 day cruise, but by no means wanted to SMUGGLE OR BREAK the rules that WAS NOT MY INTENTION!!!

I apologize. I have never cruised with Disney before, as I said. All other cruise lines forbid bringing alcohol on board and yet still people try their utmost to bypass the rules.

I found this listed as Disney’s official policy on alcohol:

Bringing Booze Onboard
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Allowed, for consumption in cabin. Note, however, that fragile items (read alcohol) must be hand-carried onboard in a day bag and/or carryon, which cannot exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep. Beverage coolers are not permitted onboard.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers who request a wine steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor will be charged a corkage fee of $18 per bottle.
Purchasing liquor in port: Allowed, above rules for bringing onboard during embarkation apply.
Purchasing liquor in ships’ duty-free shop: Held until debarkation.

So it seems that you will be able to bring your own beer.

[QUOTE=ddoll;955898]I apologize. I have never cruised with Disney before, as I said. All other cruise lines forbid bringing alcohol on board and yet still people try their utmost to bypass the rules.

I found this listed as Disney’s official policy on alcohol:

So it seems that you will be able to bring your own beer.[/QUOTE]

That’s ok, I just did not want to do if it was not ok! Thanks for finding that in writing that helps ease my mind that it will be fine!!

Princess also lets you bring one bottle of wine onboard.

I would think the safest thing here to do would be to call and get the latest update on this policy.

Ya, I called and they said it was fine, and to carry them on so they would not break!!!

Also, someone on another board said they just got back and took a rolling cooler with NO ice and they said nothing to them as long as it fits thru the scanner!! So I think that is what we will do!!

Just did the 7 day Western Caribbean in April.
Since we flew into Orlando and took the Disney bus to the ship…getting alcohol to take onboard was not possible for us…BUT…our First full day was in Key West, there we picked up a case of beer and a case of water to take onboard. We spoke with a CM the night before who said it would not be a problem… and it was not a problem at all, we saw a lot of people doing the same.
Much more economical than the $80-$103 per case of beer and $34. per case of water they charge!!