Candlelight Processional vs. Osborne Lights

Me and my 3 bestest buddies (Baloo included! :heart:) will be going to Disney for the assorted holiday festivities. :happy: We only have 2 nights there, and one is taken up with MVMCP. We’re having a bit of a disagreement on how to spend our second night. Baloo and I are hardcore Osborne Lights fans. Our other 2 friends are requesting Candlelight Processional. I have never done CP, so I hate to start arguing with them too much before I know what it’s all about. I checked Disney’s website, but I still have a few questions…

Do you have to pay extra to watch the CP, or is that only if you want to do the dinner package? And what is the CP all about, really? Is it like a fancy conert? On a regular day we all could appreciate a nice, somber Christmas story show, but I just don’t know if we’d be in the mood to sit still for it after playing in the parks all day. I suggested Osborne because we could walk through whenever we want, rather than waiting for a show to start and having to grab seats early and etc.

If you had to choose between Candlelight Processional or Osborne Lights, which would you prefer?

Well since I love both, I will chime in here. IF you do the earliest showing of the CP, you could then boogie over to Disney Studios for the Osborne Lights.

The CP is the telling of the Christmas Story, by a celebrity narrator, and various choirs from area highschools, and the Disney CM choir as well. It is absolutely beautiful, and a very moving experience. I highly recommend it! You do not need to pay extra to see it, that is only for the dinner package.

[QUOTE=lovemysons;910202]Well since I love both, I will chime in here. IF you do the earliest showing of the CP, you could then boogie over to Disney Studios for the Osborne Lights.

The CP is the telling of the Christmas Story, by a celebrity narrator, and various choirs from area highschools, and the Disney CM choir as well. It is absolutely beautiful, and a very moving experience. I highly recommend it! You do not need to pay extra to see it, that is only for the dinner package.[/QUOTE]

She took the words right out of my mouth! :happy:

I was skeptical about the CP as well but it is truly amazing and it doesnt seem like Christmas to me anymore if I dont go and see it. The choir is GIGANTIC and its so nice to relax and focus on the true reason for the season after getting caught up in all the hoopla.

I really dont think you would have a problem seeing both as long as you went to the CP first. Or possibly go to the Osborne Lights right when it gets dark and then the late CP. Check out park hours.

You will need to line up for the CP early though-- it gets very full!

If you were only able to do one park, then I’d choose the CP at Epcot. Much more Christmassy there than DHS. I love watching the Osborne Lights too, but it’s a much quicker event. One walk through (and maybe back again) is all you need there. You can stroll all through Epcot along with doing the CP.

PJ why not do both? We have done an early CP at EPCOT, with the dinner package - hey you have to eat anyway, and then taken the boat over to HS for Osborn lights.

CP is very moving, and the guest narrators make it that much more special. Deb Willis on allears posts the dates for the guest narrators.

I would do both if you can pull it timewise! Hop on the boat from the International Gateway and your on to DHS.

Everyone already said what I was going to say, so I’ll just say, have a great time (doing both! :wink:)!! :happy:

[QUOTE=alilmagical32;910206]You will need to line up for the CP early though-- it gets very full![/QUOTE]

This is a good consideration. If you don’t do a dinner package, you should plan to wait in the entrance line for CP for AT LEAST 45 minutes - and maybe 60 to 90 minutes to be sure you will get into the perofrmance of your choice.

I got in line for an early Friday performance 30 minutes before the start time and didn’t get in.

I think you can do both! But, consider that you will need to plan for wait on CP while you can just walk up and around Osborne Lights.

Good news is the Cast Member said that if one party waits in line, others can join them later.

Enjoy.

If seeing the CP is important I’d recommend the the CPDP. You will be guaranteed seats, as long as you aren’t late.

The suggestions of catching the early show then hitting OFL at HS is good but you can also do it the other way around.

Just remember if you decide to do both the Osborne Lights are only on from 6-8pm unless the times guide says otherwise.

Personally CP can’t be missed.

We’ve done both, and I recommend the CP over Osborne Lights anytime. It’s a beautiful experience, moving and amazing and truly makes you remember what Christmas is all about, which isn’t a bunch of lights.

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;910245]Just remember if you decide to do both the Osborne Lights are only on from 6-8pm unless the times guide says otherwise.

Personally CP can’t be missed.[/QUOTE]

Question about that, Rowdy:

I remember the times guide saying the lights would be on from 6-8; 8 was when the park closed. That said… the lights didn’t actually go off at 8- they stayed on for a good long while after that.

Is that still the case?

I have not seen either. So Really I am not help.
I just want e to point out I am going down in a week or so and WILL see both.

So ask me next month and I’ll give you my 2 cents. Since it will be late, I’ll give you half off.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;910345]So ask me next month and I’ll give you my 2 cents. Since it will be late, I’ll give you half off.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Such a deal!!

Thank you everyone for all the advice!!! :heart:

I made a detailed schedule of park hours for all 3 days we’ll be there (I’m such a Disney dork! :laugh:) and I see what you mean - it’s totally possible to do both! We can do the earliest CP at 5:00 and then head to HS for the lights before they close at 8:00. Which would solve this whole issue. Except that everyone wants to do HS in the morning so we can hit Toy Story Mania before the fastpasses are gone. :huh:

(My brain hurts… :pinch:)

So we may be bouncing back and forth a bit, I guess. Or I may just totally give in and save Osborne Lights for another trip. You all are making the CP sound very exciting. And I agree now that a more “reason for the season”-centered show might be nice in the midst of all the sparkly Christmas decorations.

I’m sending an email to the others to see if they’d be up for doing both. If not, I won’t put up a fight. :happy:
Thanks again everyone. :heart:

[QUOTE=Andrea;910335]Question about that, Rowdy:

I remember the times guide saying the lights would be on from 6-8; 8 was when the park closed. That said… the lights didn’t actually go off at 8- they stayed on for a good long while after that.

Is that still the case?[/QUOTE]

Believe so. At 8 the lights will stop dancing and I’m sure all the music and snow will be turned off as well. The lights may still be on for the last second shoppers but nothing of the festivities during the actual event.

Such a deal!!

So we may be bouncing back and forth a bit, I guess. I’m sending an email to the others to see if they’d be up for doing both. If not, I won’t put up a fight. :happy:
Thanks again everyone. :heart:[/QUOTE]

At least it’s easy to bounce between DHS & Epcot, you can either walk or take the boat!

Good for you…going for both! Best of luck. They’re both sooo worth it.

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;910474]Believe so. At 8 the lights will stop dancing and I’m sure all the music and snow will be turned off as well. The lights may still be on for the last second shoppers but nothing of the festivities during the actual event.[/QUOTE]

Is that policy new this year? I could see it with all the other cutbacks, but last Christmas I know the lights lasted at least 45 min AFTER the park closed. We had gone to see the Harlem gospel choir, then my DD ran to see Fantansmic (sp), meanwhile my DGD walked over to see the lights. I kept saying “I don’t know if they will still be lit, since it was just about closing” But we get there and walked up and down the street about 7 thousand times. After fantansmic my DD came over and we still walked around, had pictures taken with a photopass guy and left while the lights were STILL on with all the music and dancing and stuff.