Can't Decide - Chef Mickey's or CP?

So, we’ll be 4 adults on the next trip. It will be my grandma and friend’s first trip. We want to do a sit-down breakfast our first morning before we hit MK. I’ve narrowed it down to Chef Mickey’s or Crystal Palace. I personally wanted to try Chef Mickey’s since I’ve never been, but since it’s the first trip for the others, I’m undecided. Thoughts?

I liked the food better at CP! :happy:

I absolutly love them both. I think for me CM has just a slight edge over CP,just slight. But you cannot go wrong on either.

I like them both but the atmosphere at Chef Mickey’s is great- and the food/buffet is not bad either.

For adults and with two of them a little older I would go to CP it not a noisy as CM.

The only reason I would pick CP is if you were to have a ressie before the park opens. There is something magical about walking down Main Street while the park is closed!

(But… I really think CM is MUCH better!!)

Love them both! I don’t think you can make a wrong decision between the two. The only thing that would make a difference is that CP is a little more convenient if you were going to do MK anyway that day.

I am with the previous poster - I would do CP and take an 8:00am ressie - that way you can get into the park before everyone else!

ENJOY!!:mickey:

I think I lean toward CP for breakfast and certainly for dinner.
And CP has always been an easier get than CM (for me).
If you’re interested in lunch CP is the only choice.
Plus, at CP, you will often see Tigger bouncing and playing around plus the staged “incidents” when Eeyore and Piglet antagonize Tigger.
Pooh seems to usually be above the fray.
I love seeing Pluto (always good for getting your dose of dog when you’ve had to leave your friend home) and Goofy is always fun, but the characters seem to play a lot more at CP.
And then there’s the time that my wife was sick on our anniversary and I was forced to have breakfast alone and Pooh sat down with me for a good 5 minutes to cheer me up.
It helped this was while breakfast was winding down.

Something else to consider for breakfast is 1900 Park Fare where you have Tigger and Pooh, but also face characters in the form of The Mad Hatter, Alice, and Mary Poppins.
I miss the last Hatter, but the newest one is growing into the larger than life shoes he’s had to fill. These characters being face characters can truly interact with you.
Again, nearing the end of service, when the crowd is thinning, you can get plenty of time with the face characters.
Try carrying on a 5 minute conversation with The Hatter! One New Year’s Day morning, we had Mary, Alice and The Hatter all gathered around our table, plus over the course of 3 years, we became friendly with The Hatter (never knew his real name though) so it could get quite crazy at times.

We went to CP in May and was there 45 minutes and did not have one character stop by our table. I was very disappointed. That was unusual.

[QUOTE=johnkimv;1085995]The only reason I would pick CP is if you were to have a ressie before the park opens. There is something magical about walking down Main Street while the park is closed!

(But… I really think CM is MUCH better!!)[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. CM is fun, but it will eat at the clock. I would prefer to finish eating and step out into the MK instead of waiting for the monorail and then going through the process of entering the park.

That’s not just unusual, that’s unheard of.
The cast there is always top notch and they give plenty of dwell time.
It’s possible that you were unlucky enough to be seated in an area they’d just made the rounds and they were then grabbing a 10 minute break (ever wear one of those heads?) before starting back where they left off. But the wranglers are always pretty good about making sure coverage is good.

Did they do any of the parades while you were there?
Those also take them away from going table to table.
You also should have mentioned this to the character wrangler on your way out, if only so they were aware they had spotty coverage.

That happened to us at 1900 Park Fayre- and our server said our table was notorious for being missed by the characters. It was DD’s 21st and I had mentioned this on the ADR, and mentioned it again as we checked in and this was also forgotten. The lady on the check in desk asked how the birthday breakfast had gone- so I told her, and she was mad!
She asked us to wait and came back with a ruck of gift things for DD, and also insisted all those waiting to go into the dining area sang Happy Birthday to DD too. She made the best of a bad job- unusual for GF but I guess it happens now and then.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1086116]That’s not just unusual, that’s unheard of.
The cast there is always top notch and they give plenty of dwell time.
It’s possible that you were unlucky enough to be seated in an area they’d just made the rounds and they were then grabbing a 10 minute break (ever wear one of those heads?) before starting back where they left off. But the wranglers are always pretty good about making sure coverage is good.

Did they do any of the parades while you were there?
Those also take them away from going table to table.
You also should have mentioned this to the character wrangler on your way out, if only so they were aware they had spotty coverage.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was unusual for us to have that happen there. We have been there almost every trip and this was the first time that happened. We got seated on the left side of the restaurant this time,usually we sit on the right. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it or not. Yes, they did do the parade while we were there. We even waited 10 extra minutes to see if they would come by but they never did.

For Shame!:blush:
You should know, as an experienced diner, to look into the other dining room and see where the characters are. That’s usually the best way to gauge if you need to talk to the wrangler before it gets too late.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m scolding you. I guess it’s all just second nature for me because I’ve done so many character meals.

It shouldn’t make any difference which dining room you’re in.
As I’ve said in other threads, I’ve even seen Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet playing in the central reception area and sometimes even into the buffet serving area when the crowds have been thinning out and they are able to make a couple quick rounds to say hi to whoever is left plus put on a little show.

If you can, do CP for breakfast and CM for dinner. To experience the Contemporary, the Monorail, the view of MK and the other resorts and not to mention the characters is all something in itself. If you even go for a late dinner, you can catch the fireworks from the Contemporary and the water pagent.

I wish they hadn’t covered the windows in the main dining room at Chef Mickey’s.
It’s nice to be able to look outside too.