Car rental - Easy? Worth it?

My husband and I have been contemplating renting a car for only one day while staying at one of the value resorts on the WDW property. We aren’t sure how expensive and/or how difficult it is to rent a car once you arrive at your hotel. We also think it might be worth it to rent the car so that we could go to a nearby grocery store so that we could stock up on items so that we don’t have to pay the expensive prices at the resort stores. Does anyone have any experience with these things that they would be willing to share? And if so, is it worth the trouble and/or cost savings?

Thanks! :minnie:

We don’t rent cars while were there so I can’t help you with that. Did you know that there are two delivery services that will deliver groceries to your resort for a fee that’s usually less than renting a car? We used We Go Shop last summer and loved it. Garden Grocer is another option.

Oh this sounds wonderful! And cuts out a lot of hassle too! How does one go about contacting them? Can I find them on the web? I’m thrilled to hear from someone that has actually used this service. :biggrin: :minnie:

I’ve never had groceries delivered, (I’m sure someone who has will be along shortly with details) but I KNOW its way easier than renting a car. We rented a car once to go to Universal for two days and it was a nightmare! If all you want is groceries, get them delivered!

We used this one Grocery Delivery Service Provided By WeGoShop.com. Grocery Delivery Service From Your Favorite Grocery Store.

We set the time of the delivery and paid with cash at that time. It was quick and easy. They were running a bit late but called our cell to tell us so we knew. I made a list of what we wanted as I walked around our local store so I knew the exact size of the item. We even ordered adult drinks from a liquor store with no problem. We got a receipt so we knew exactly what the store charged so there was no question on price.

Here’s another one that a lot of people use. GardenGrocer.com, The Selection of a SUPERMARKET Delivered to Your Door!

I’m interested in hearing about this too. We want to go to Universal on our 2nd and 3rd day, so we were going to rent a car at the airport, pick up groceries along the way, and use the car to go to Universal for the next two days and spend the next 6 at WDW only. We were hoping to return the car somewhere more convenient than the airport (at that car center at the TTC or-I think-there is a car rental desk at the Swan or Dolphin), and then take Magical Express back to the airport on day 9. :blink:
It does seem like a hassle, so I really want to hear about other people’s experiences…

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;932771]We used this one Grocery Delivery Service Provided By WeGoShop.com. Grocery Delivery Service From Your Favorite Grocery Store.

We set the time of the delivery and paid with cash at that time. It was quick and easy. They were running a bit late but called our cell to tell us so we knew. I made a list of what we wanted as I walked around our local store so I knew the exact size of the item. We even ordered adult drinks from a liquor store with no problem. We got a receipt so we knew exactly what the store charged so there was no question on price.

Here’s another one that a lot of people use. GardenGrocer.com, The Selection of a SUPERMARKET Delivered to Your Door![/QUOTE]

I think this is going to work out wonderfully! Thank you so much for the information!

You sure do ask alot of Questions DW !!!

We always rent a car for our entire trip. I would suggest not renting to avoid the hassles and cost if you aren’t going to use the car for your entire trip. Taxi’s are usually sitting at most of the resorts check in areas, or you can call them. Much cheaper too!

We usually stop on the way into the world to pick up groceries but that grocery delivery sounds like it is well worth it!!!

You’re welcome.

They’re such good questions. :mickey:

God love her :wink:

We always rent a car while on vacation in WDW. We do our grocery shopping our first day and I like the convience (sp?) of having our own car for park hopping. We rent our car at Dollar car rental at the Regal Sun Hotel in Buena Vista, across from DTD. They have a shuttle that will pick you up at your resort to rent your car and a shuttle that will take you back to your resort after you drop the car off. I like this option because then I can still expierience ME instead of having to pick up a rental at the airport. Also I have found Dollar’s rental prices very reasonable.

it has been many years since we rented a car for our trips and have just depended on disney transportation. a few years ago we did rent a c ar for 2 days when tims nephew graduated high school. i think he rented it from national at the fron gate - they oicked him up and droped him off i don;t think it was a big hasel for him. he can give you a better idea tomorrow morning when he gets home.

Mousesavers has discount codes for Dollar car rental that save you a pretty penny!

We will neve rgo without a car for th eentire trip again… but if we were looking for just one day of renting to get groceries, I would just go ahead and pay the delivery fee, because I can’t imagine it would be more than a rental car.

You could get a cheap taxi and head over to Goodings very easily. It’s so close and it also has liquor, so no second stop at a wine shop.

We have had groceries delivered (ther eare two services, I believe, that you can choose from) every trip since we discovered the service. Love it!

I’ve tried their discount codes and they always come up as invalid.:pinch:

How are you going to get from the airport to to the resort? I presume you are flying in. If you are using a town car service, they have a grocery stop on the way, where you can stock up. If not, as the others have said there are a couple of delivery services that will deliver to the resort (we have never used them). If you do want to rent a car for a day or 2 to go to Sea World or Universal Studios, you can rent a car on-site from either the Swan/Dolphin or from the main gate. National/Alamo is at both I believe. If you use the front gate one, they will send a courtesy van to you and bring you back when you return the car. We found it easy to use when we did it 5 years ago when my nephew graduated from high school down in Mt. Dora FL. It was a great excuse for a Disney trip.

We have always rented a car at the airport when we have flown in. It’s really easy (reserve in advance–hotwire.com is great for discounts). You can usually rent a full-size for not much more than the cost of a limo to and from MCO.