Car Rental

Does anyone have a favorite car rental agency? Any opinions on using one of the discount companies like Hotwire or Priceline?
We are traveling the first week of October and I would appreciate all info! Thanks!

I always rent from Alamo. They are right on property and I’ve never had a problem with them. We take the ME from the airport to whatever resort we are staying at and pick the car up at the Dolphin Resort. I book Alamo on line, and if you become an Alamo Member they give you 10% off. It does cost a little more to rent on Disney property than if you rent at the airport, but we feel it’s easier.

Sorry, I didn’t give enough info… we will be renting the car in Kentucky and driving to Disney and then driving back to Kentucky in the rental car. I am looking for a good company with good prices (no hidden fees). Thank you!

I would go ahead and do Priceline for the lowest possible price. They’re using major car companies.

Oooo! Oooh! Allears has a “using priceline” guide for car rentals. Using Priceline.com

If you’re not comfortable with the blind aspect of Priceline, I have used Hotwire for hotels and feel like they’ve got good deals in general.

Several years ago I went to Rental Cars and Car Rentals from Rental Cars.com and found a fantastic deal in Los Angeles. It was from a rental place I’d never heard of, but since it was a long term rental, I needed that super-cheap price. It turned out to be GREAT. Short wait, friendly people, and when I needed the car for longer I just called them and asked for it at the same low rate… “Sure!”. So you just never know.

I, for one, love Hertz. I swear by them. Up until they hosed me over. But enough about them.

Since you asked, I am now giving free legal advice to those who have need of it. And that legal advice is to discuss a few things about rental cars. It’s a legal contract, so understand what you read before you sign. A few concerns:

:ph34r: Are you taking the car out of state? Make sure the rental agency is aware and is kopasetic with this. The last thing you want to be is finding yourself with a flat in a location not authorized. Just start making the ching ching ching sound, 'cause even a good lawyer is gonna cost you to wrap this up in the end. :pirate:

:phone: Have you called your insurance carrier? Assuming you aren’t made of money and blindly sign away your first born’s college money to pay for the “available insurance” offered by the rental agency, make sure you call your insurance and find out what they offer if you get into an “uh oh” while driving a rent a wreck. Sometimes you might discover you aren’t as insured as you thoughts. :pirate:

:confused: Are you knowledgeable about the driving laws pertaining to those states you are speeding through? Sometimes folks find out that being Larry Leadfoot in a state which your car is not registered and you don’t have a license in might force you to hang out in the county drunk tank until the first Monday Morning when the Magistrate is first available. :pirate:

:blink: Before any long distance cross-country trip, spend more than five minutes going over your car before you and the offspring load everything up to make it to the freeway before rush hour. Unless you’ve driven this car before, every make and model is different. Don’t let something become a serious burden because you never bothered to find out where the temp gauge is located. :pirate:

:wub: Anyway, as for rental car applications, I use Priceline almost exclusively for rental cars and hotel rooms. Using Priceline.com That being said, I first go onto Expedia.com, and find out what the going rate is for a rental car for the length of time I need it. I then attempt to name my own price and hope to save some serious cash. There are some others out there, just be advised that if things go South, it doesn’t help if there’s no on working on a weekend to answer that call for help. :pirate:

I always use Hotwire.com. If you are a member and look for a deal on the site for rental cars they will start sending you deals before your trip. The best deal I have ever gotten was a midsize car which turned out to be a Chevrolet Impala for $10.99 per day. Hotwire only works with the major rental agencies and I have never had a problem with any of them.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1137406]I would go ahead and do Priceline for the lowest possible price. They’re using major car companies.

Oooo! Oooh! Allears has a “using priceline” guide for car rentals. Using Priceline.com

If you’re not comfortable with the blind aspect of Priceline, I have used Hotwire for hotels and feel like they’ve got good deals in general.

Several years ago I went to Rental Cars and Car Rentals from Rental Cars.com and found a fantastic deal in Los Angeles. It was from a rental place I’d never heard of, but since it was a long term rental, I needed that super-cheap price. It turned out to be GREAT. Short wait, friendly people, and when I needed the car for longer I just called them and asked for it at the same low rate… “Sure!”. So you just never know.[/QUOTE]

Thank you I looked on rentalcars.com and they didn’t have anything :frowning: I looked at the Allears article thank you so much I will try priceline!

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1137408]I, for one, love Hertz. I swear by them. Up until they hosed me over. But enough about them.

Since you asked, I am now giving free legal advice to those who have need of it. And that legal advice is to discuss a few things about rental cars. It’s a legal contract, so understand what you read before you sign. A few concerns:

:ph34r: Are you taking the car out of state? Make sure the rental agency is aware and is kopasetic with this. The last thing you want to be is finding yourself with a flat in a location not authorized. Just start making the ching ching ching sound, 'cause even a good lawyer is gonna cost you to wrap this up in the end. :pirate:

:phone: Have you called your insurance carrier? Assuming you aren’t made of money and blindly sign away your first born’s college money to pay for the “available insurance” offered by the rental agency, make sure you call your insurance and find out what they offer if you get into an “uh oh” while driving a rent a wreck. Sometimes you might discover you aren’t as insured as you thoughts. :pirate:

:confused: Are you knowledgeable about the driving laws pertaining to those states you are speeding through? Sometimes folks find out that being Larry Leadfoot in a state which your car is not registered and you don’t have a license in might force you to hang out in the county drunk tank until the first Monday Morning when the Magistrate is first available. :pirate:

:blink: Before any long distance cross-country trip, spend more than five minutes going over your car before you and the offspring load everything up to make it to the freeway before rush hour. Unless you’ve driven this car before, every make and model is different. Don’t let something become a serious burden because you never bothered to find out where the temp gauge is located. :pirate:

:wub: Anyway, as for rental car applications, I use Priceline almost exclusively for rental cars and hotel rooms. Using Priceline.com That being said, I first go onto Expedia.com, and find out what the going rate is for a rental car for the length of time I need it. I then attempt to name my own price and hope to save some serious cash. There are some others out there, just be advised that if things go South, it doesn’t help if there’s no on working on a weekend to answer that call for help. :pirate:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the legal advice! I need all the help/tips that I can get! :blush:

Thank you! I have used hotwire for hotel rooms and not had any problems. I will definitely check with them!

I just got an email from Hotwire for rental cars for $9.00 per day from Orlando MCO but I forgot you are driving to Fla.

Thanks for thinking of me:blush:

I am also wondering about the $100-$150 deposit. We do not have a major credit card and I am concerned about handing over my visa-debit card to the rental car company. Can I just give them a cash deposit? Will they take a prepaid credit card? Do I need to just get a major credit card for this occasion and then cut it up when we get home? Would they take a major credit card that is in my mothers name and have the car in ours and pay with something other than that card?

I don’t know much about renting a car, but reading your post got me thinking maybe it’s a good time to get a Disney Visa. You’ll have it for the car, you can connect it to your room key card at Disney, so you won’t have to have a lot of cash on you, and then when you get home, take the cash you were going to bring to Disney and pay it off in full. That way, you have the convenience and also rack up Disney dollars to go towards your next trip.

Seems like a major credit card is a good idea to have around. You certainly don’t ever have to use it for purchases! I wouldn’t go so far as to cut it up. But you can always freeze it in a block of ice if you doubt your self-control. :happy:

We broke down and got a Credit Card. Thanks!