Caribe Royale Review

Over Memorial Day weekend we took an impromptu trip to the Mouse House with my in-laws. The party consists of two grandparents, a couple with two toddlers, a couple with one toddler, and ourselves 40 something’s without children.

The hotel consists of three 10 story towers, a seperate convention center in the back and some “villas” next to the convention center. The towers surround the swimming pool.

Check-in was painless, they were able to place all of our rooms next to each other. Rooms in this hotel are suites (like embassy suites). Our suite had two rooms. One room had two queen size beds with a TV and places for your clothes. There is a bathroom type sink and also the door to the bathroom in this room. The other room consited of a pull-out couch, a desk, and another TV. There was also a refrigerator. This was more like a college dorm type refrigerator as opposed to a mini-bar type refrigerator. The desk had a wired Internet connection ($8.95/day). I found no mention of any wireless access anywhere in the hotel.

The room was comfortable, but was a bit worn. There was a stain in the carpeting and the furniture was a little beat up, but not overly so. The rooms seemed to be well insulated as we never heard any noise from other rooms.

The pool had a tropical theme. There was slide built in a rock “outcropping” kind of like the Poly but not as well themed. There was a seperate little kids water area with fountains etc. There were plenty of lounge chairs available. There was also a pool bar/grill. They made a good margarita. Prices were similiar to Disney prices.

There is a fine dining restaurant open at night. They also have a casual sit down restaurant open for breakfast/lunch/dinner. We only ate there for breakfast where they have both a buffett and al carte selections. Breakfast was fine. There is also an indoor bar open at night. It was addequate. You can order room service to be delived to this bar. Several people did this during the time I was there.

The staff was very nice and pleasant. They were quick in checking us in and when bell services delivered our luggage he made sure that we were fimiliar with the room.

Overall, I thought the hotel was adequate, but based on the price we paid, I thought the value was not right for us. For the same price we usually stay at the Downtown Disney Hilton which has much nicer rooms etc. If we regularly traveled with children, my opinion might be different. The room size is really good so you would not be on top of each other. You can also fit more people in a room so you would not have to rent 2 rooms like you would at other hotels.

However, if we do this type of trip again with the in-laws and they want to stay at the Caribe Royale, I would not put the kibitz on us staying at the same hotel. There are other hotels that I would not stay at even if the rest of the party was staying there.