Carribean Beach Resort Question

Are there elevators in the buildings at CBR?

I’ve never stayed at CBR, but I’m going to say yes. It’s a requirement for multi-level public buildings (must be wheelchair accessible). I’ve also read several threads about fellow MBers debating on whether or not to get a room by the elevator! :laugh:

We’ve stayed there twice and don’t remember seeing any elevators.It’s two story buildings so I’m not sure they need them

This is our third time staying in June and I have never seen any elevators eithers. We’ve always had to tug our luggage up the steps! Which isn’t bad! At least your getting some exercise! HA! HA! HA!

That’s odd… they have elevators at the values! :laugh:

Might want to request a first floor room, then…

Hey Vic, many of the multi-level resorts that have free standing buildings actually have handicapped specific buildings. For example, Old Key West does NOT have guest elevators in the regular room buildings BUT of course they do in the Handicapped buildings.

I am not 100% sure about CBR but I am assuming it may work the same way as OKW.

I dont remember elevators in the buildings either although it is some time since we stayed there.

Don’t know the answer either - but put in a request for a main floor room.

I googled it and YES there are NO elevators at this resort which is so crazy? Altho come to think of it, I don’t think POFQ has elevators either? Does it? :confused:

Anyway, I know there are wheelchair accessible rooms, because someone asked that question before, and I remember the response being there was even a Pirate themed room that was wheelchair accessible.

Okay, thanks for all the info. I checked Allears and they report no elevators in any of the buildings. We have a double stroller and a single stroller that we will be carting with us so I am hoping to be able to have a main floor room. We’ve had a lot of problems with room requests in the past, hopefully this works out okay.
Thanks again for the info.

Actually it is not a requirement of multi-level buildings to have accessibility to all floors so long as they have the minimum percentage of accessable rooms on the main floor. (I’m a building inspector)

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;946402]I googled it and YES there are NO elevators at this resort which is so crazy? Altho come to think of it, I don’t think POFQ has elevators either? Does it? :confused:

Anyway, I know there are wheelchair accessible rooms, because someone asked that question before, and I remember the response being there was even a Pirate themed room that was wheelchair accessible.[/QUOTE]

We stayed at POFQ last year and they do have elevators in their buildings. We are staying in a Pirate themed room and my worry is that there will be a limited amount of rooms available. Oh well, I’ll hope for the best!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;946413]Okay, thanks for all the info. I checked Allears and they report no elevators in any of the buildings. We have a double stroller and a single stroller that we will be carting with us so I am hoping to be able to have a main floor room. We’ve had a lot of problems with room requests in the past, hopefully this works out okay.
Thanks again for the info.[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to say I love your avatar.:wub: Call them up and ask them to put your request on your reservation. Then call them every few weeks. If you’re persistent enough, you should be able to get a main floor room.

I don’t believe there are elevators (stayed there several times) but if you need a handicap accessible room, you can request one on the lower level and I’m sure they’d accomidate you. HTH!

Thanks! It is my favorite picture of the kids. It was taken last year at POFQ. We were walking to the main building and our youngest was trailing behind her brother and sister when they turned and ran back and took her hands to walk with her. My heart almost burst and I was so happy that I happened to have the camera out to capture the moment!:heart:

Thanks for the tip. I will call them and add the request to our reservation.

Oops - I see you’re leaving in two days - didn’t notice that.:laugh: Well, call them every hour til you leave.:laugh:

Just to clarify a few things …

Definitely no guest elevators at CBR. And no, it’s not any kind of requirement. The Americans With Disabilities Act, which was signed about 2 years after CBR opened, requires that public places (such as hotels, etc.) be accessible to people with disabilities.

Fully half of CBR’s rooms are accessible, since they are on the ground floor. There are no rooms on the second floor of any building that have anything not available in a first floor room. Therefore, Disney isn’t compelled by federal law to install elevators.

Yes, POFQ has elevators, but it’s only one group of them per guest building, and the buildings are rather large, meaning that it could be a huge walk to get to an elevator in the geographic middle of the large building, just to have to double-back on a higher floor.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;946402]I googled it and YES there are NO elevators at this resort which is so crazy? Altho come to think of it, I don’t think POFQ has elevators either? Does it? :confused:

Anyway, I know there are wheelchair accessible rooms, because someone asked that question before, and I remember the response being there was even a Pirate themed room that was wheelchair accessible.[/QUOTE]

French Quarter does in fact have elevators. It seems any building 3 stories or more have elevators. That means all of the values, all of the deluxes and DVCs( excepting most of OKW) have elevators.
CBR doesn’t have elevators, but I think if you do some research, you’ll find that all of the handicapped rooms are on the ground floors.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;946643]
Yes, POFQ has elevators, but it’s only one group of them per guest building, and the buildings are rather large, meaning that it could be a huge walk to get to an elevator in the geographic middle of the large building, just to have to double-back on a higher floor.[/QUOTE]

I’ll echo the thought about the long walks at POFQ until you find the elevators, but depending on where you are in one of the values, you could have a bit of a walk to the elevators as well.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;946643]Just to clarify a few things …

Definitely no guest elevators at CBR. And no, it’s not any kind of requirement. The Americans With Disabilities Act, which was signed about 2 years after CBR opened, requires that public places (such as hotels, etc.) be accessible to people with disabilities.

Fully half of CBR’s rooms are accessible, since they are on the ground floor. There are no rooms on the second floor of any building that have anything not available in a first floor room. Therefore, Disney isn’t compelled by federal law to install elevators.

Yes, POFQ has elevators, but it’s only one group of them per guest building, and the buildings are rather large, meaning that it could be a huge walk to get to an elevator in the geographic middle of the large building, just to have to double-back on a higher floor.[/QUOTE]

This question is mostly just for my own curiosity…does the “Americans with Disabilities Act” require that elevators are installed in all new buildings more than 1 story in height? Here, we don’t have a separate act for accessibility, it is actually something that is written directly in our Provincial Building Code. It requires that all new buildings must be “Barrier Free” (our term used) accessible, but an elevator is not a requirement. Only the main floor is a requirement to be accessible unless an elevator is opted to be installed. If the elevator is installed, then each floor that the elevator accesses, must be Barrier Free accessible. In cases like hotels where elevators are almost always provided, each floor is required a percentage of Barrier Free rooms.

Anyway, a bit off-topic, just interesting to me to learn about the different codes/acts in another country.
While it is more guest-friendly for Disney to offer elevators in their new buildings, are they actually a requirement?