Carrying alcohol onboard

What are the official rules for bringing alcohol/cases of water onboard???
Can you just load up and carry in onboard?
Any difference in the rules or tips to do this upon arrival boarding versus in Key West?

On board a plane? They will not allow it.

I think the thread is concerning onboard a ship/cruise liner?

whoops … my bad
(thankyoudixie)

welcome hon:flowers:, and neither of us know the answer then???:laugh:

I can’t speak for the Disney cruise line, but on other cruises I’ve taken, we always take our own beer. We don’t necessarily flaunt it, but it’s in our bags nonetheless and no one ever stops to search it… :ninja:

No one tell me if I’ve been breaking the rules, so I can continue to play dumb each time I board a ship. :whistling

[QUOTE=princesslindsey;1055815]I can’t speak for the Disney cruise line, but on other cruises I’ve taken, we always take our own beer. We don’t necessarily flaunt it, but it’s in our bags nonetheless and no one ever stops to search it… :ninja:

No one tell me if I’ve been breaking the rules, so I can continue to play dumb each time I board a ship. :whistling[/QUOTE]

We had a really thorough search when we boarded the Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas at Barcelona, Spain. They sent the bags through like an airport x ray scanner and some were called for an open bag search (like a customs search) they were really really strict.
However, when I saw the price of the alcohol on board I could see why they dont want you taking your own on- it was astronomical in price! No wonder guests try and get their own on.

You may bring your own water, wine and beer on Disney Cruises. At least that is what it says in the Passporter. I think it is food items they don’t allow.

OOH we like!:happy:

Disney allows you to carry on. Not supposed to be in the checked bags. Other cruise lines don’t allow it checked or carry on. (It’s a big money maker as you can imagine.) You’ll get a note on your door instead of your luggage. Generally, you get it back when you leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

Returning to ship is same. All carry ons get scanned.

We usually put beer in one of our bags when we cruise. It has never been taken away and we have sailed on Disney, Royal Carribean, and Carnival.

Once we put it in out 12 year old sons bag and one can of beer exploded and all of his shirts and pants smelled like beer. Needless to say I was doing laundry that night!

I realize this discussion is re: cruises but not allowing alcohol on planes, is that something new since 9/11. When we traveled abroad in the late 90’s we were allowed to bring x amt back duty free, don’t quote me but I believe it was something equilivant to 2 -5ths.

Yes must be in hand held carry on, but you can only carry off one liter unopened bottle. No beverage coolers are allowed. You may bring a glass of wine to dinner, but if you bring a bottle and they uncork it -$$$$ so bring your own glass. This is all from the Passporter book.

Oh you can also request a corkscrew opener from room service.

[QUOTE=disneymom;1055842]We usually put beer in one of our bags when we cruise. It has never been taken away and we have sailed on Disney, Royal Carribean, and Carnival.

Once we put it in out 12 year old sons bag and one can of beer exploded and all of his shirts and pants smelled like beer. Needless to say I was doing laundry that night![/QUOTE]

Maybe its just the European ports, but no one took booze on our liner- bags were scanned and hand searched, it was taken off them and returned at the end of the cruise. Maybe some did sneak it in within the larger cases that were room delivered, but the carry on was definitely a no (in Barcelona).

Ahhhhhh, and this is where you have to be creative. We take alcohol onboard cruises but you would never know it. You have to disguise it in a bottle of something oyu would normally take for personal use. Say a bottle of listerine. Scope works well also. Just dye it to make it look good.
DW would even ship liquor to me through the mail when I was in the Gulf. Made mail call REALLY enjoyable.

Boss- I’m really suprised you did not come up with this tip. :laugh:

I think part of it just depends on the cruise line. We have taken Holland America and Princess cruises and both times had booze in our carry on. They searched our bags but never say anything about it not being allowed.

I’ve taken small bottles and never had a problem. On both NCL cruises I’ve done, there were carts full of bags that were pulled out for alcohol, and lots of notes on doors.

I think if you try to bring the whole bar with you…

DCL’s Official Policy

[I]Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.[/I]

The daily wine packages are reasonable…considering resturant/resort prices. I generally have a bottle of wine each night with dinner. DW says it’s too much but what does she know? More for me! :laugh:

Sounds like its the luck of the draw who can manage to get it aboard. I dont blame anyone for trying, the bar prices on RC were really ridiculously high- and of course in some of the European ports such as Spain, Italy and France, drink is sooo cheap and available- its no wonder people were tempted to try. We were first timers so a little rule worthy- but I think we’d give smuggling contraband a go next cruise.

thanks for all the info.
Souns like (and I kinda remember form our DCL vaca 2 years ago)…
Yes, you can carry alcohol/water bottles on board, But you must personally be carrying it in a reasonable sized carry on.
Wow…what a savings! Wonder when Disney will stop allowing this!