Celebration, a flop or not?

On my last trip in February I made a sidetrip to Celebration for the first time. It is quite a town but I did notice alot of “For Sale” signs and also know that there are many in foreclosure. Was this one of Disney’s biggest flops or was their plan to sell the town after it got established as I have heard? Ok, here is a bonus, who was the first family to move into Celebration?

I think foreclosures are every where…not just Celebration. For sale signs are in every state. I imagine the houses there are not exactly dirt cheap and I can’t imagine property taxes being all that low either…may just be people can’t afford to live there anymore. It’s going on all over the United States.

Florida has been very hard hit by the real estate “bubble.”

Bottom line is that when you loan money to people with a track record of NOT paying, qualify them on below market buy down loans with teaser rates, then loan up to 125% of value, DON’T act suprised when…THEY CAN’T PAY for them!

Add in to that mix an economy where lots of people are out of work due to a government (both R&Ds) that can’t control it’s spending and you’ve got a real mess.

rlcarmichael- good post! Could you repeat that for our congress to hear loud and clear! Tax and Spend might put us where we are headed= BANKRUPTCY!

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1027689]Florida has been very hard hit by the real estate “bubble.”

Bottom line is that when you loan money to people with a track record of NOT paying, qualify them on below market buy down loans with teaser rates, then loan up to 125% of value, DON’T act suprised when…THEY CAN’T PAY for them!

Add in to that mix an economy where lots of people are out of work due to a government (both R&Ds) that can’t control it’s spending and you’ve got a real mess.[/QUOTE]

VERY well said!

I think in this economy the $6000 a year HOA fee might be part of the reason people are leaving Celebration.

Seriously does anyone need snow coming from the light posts around Christmas. If they want snow move north. :laugh:

HOLY …! They had better be getting some serious services for that kind of $$$$$.

What in the world is offered to them for that kind of HOA fees?

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1027689]Florida has been very hard hit by the real estate “bubble.”

Bottom line is that when you loan money to people with a track record of NOT paying, qualify them on below market buy down loans with teaser rates, then loan up to 125% of value, DON’T act suprised when…[B]THEY CAN’T PAY for them![/B]

Add in to that mix an economy where lots of people are out of work due to a government (both R&Ds) that can’t control it’s spending and you’ve got a real mess.[/QUOTE]

You are my HERO!!!

I thought that Celebration already belonged to another company. What am I thinking?

If I remember correctly (from when we were looking for our house in Orlando last year) there is a management company that “runs” the city but is over scene by the HOA/town government (I think they are one in the same).

Disney stepped away from Celebration a number of years ago.

IMO Celebration is a flop. It really is just a nice subdivision with shopping. The original idea was walkable city. The original idea was a test case for new urbanism but it got water down because it was pretty far ahead of the curve…so they ended up with nice subdivision with shopping.

Another botched attempted of new urbanism in Orlando is Baldwin Park. It is a lot like Celebration but has a better denser center with a number of shops (like Publix, CVS, Five Guys, etc), offices, and medical as well as Apartment and condos in the center.

If I had to pick between the 2 I would pick Baldwin Park because for day to day living you have better access to places you would use as a resident.

for some reason I always thought of the citizens of Celebration as Stepford citizens :wink:

Me too! and I had a stay in Celebration’s hospital…totally weird:ohmy:

VERY Stepford - everything is just too, too perfect. It’s creepy.

Now now. Celebration does attract a certain type of person. That is part of the idea behind the design and structure.

I think it is funny how there is some much homogeny of society based on city planning and architecture. Celebration really highlights this.