Cell Phone Use While Travelling

Quick question cause I’m no einsten when it comes to these things (not even sure I’ve put this in the right forum) …

I added a US data pack to my blackberry for our upcoming trip which allows me $1MB of data per day at a discounted rate- I basically will only be using bbm, but was wondering, if my phone receives an e-mail and I don’t open it, is that still ‘receiving’ the e-mail. I know its received, but am I technically using a lot of KB/MB if I don’t open it to see the full thing?

Silly question I guess, the e-mail is in holding somewhere, using up space. I guess I could just disable e-mail on my blackberry when I’m there. Not have my email address connected to my blackberry …

Yes you’ve received it so even though you haven’t opened it you’ve used their service to download it to the phone and for that you must pay! Turn off data roaming when you dont want to download any un-necessary emails, push notifications etc.
Good job on the USA package though- I am getting a Europe bolt on for my French trip!

Thanks Dixie. Decided (and figured out how to), just turn off the e-mail feature all together, so that I’ll still be able to get bbm’s while we’re out and about.

Will have to remove my e-mail accounts from the phone altogether, but not a big deal to just re-add them when I get back.

[QUOTE=KeroKero;1088397]Thanks Dixie. Decided (and figured out how to), just turn off the e-mail feature all together, so that I’ll still be able to get bbm’s while we’re out and about.

Will have to remove my e-mail accounts from the phone altogether, but not a big deal to just re-add them when I get back.[/QUOTE]

OH well done! Theres loads of horror stories here of travellers coming back from vacation with mega high roaming charges= its made me paranoid about taking my phone! You’ve done a good job with yours though:happy:

good luck with the cell use.
I do wish Disney would have some free WI-FI zones especially at the resorts.:phone:
I will be paying £12 or $19 for 20mb of roming use whilst in USA not bad i thought

Theres some free wi fi hot spots at Orlando airport Jimbo- and at one or two of the shopping malls? But I do think Disney is seriously lacking in this dept.
Well done on your price though that is good, who are you with? I’m with O2.

[QUOTE=dixie;1088561]Theres some free WI FI hot spots at Orlando airport Jimbo- and at one or two of the shopping malls? But I do think Disney is seriously lacking in this dept.
Well done on your price though that is good, who are you with? I’m with O2.[/QUOTE]

I’m with orange I just happened to call them about something else and asked about using my phone in the USA the chap was so helpful and gave me this great deal.

i have used wi fi in the airport in the past but like you say Disney are lacking in this service :mad: - most hotels in the UK provide this service not sure about USA:cool: